Kickin Mule Denim

thedonger

Anyone familiar with Kicking Mule denim? I saw them featured on Style.com.

00047h.jpg

Here's the write-up:

Kicking Mule Workshop jeans

Two important facts about jeans: It’s always nice to discover the next cool brand, and you can always use another pair. You’ll like Boulder, Colorado-based Kicking Mule Workshop’s Japanese denim—it’s elegantly embellishment-free and very comfortable.

Kicking Mule Workshop 2010 jeans, $225, 1950 jeans, $225, available at Service Menswear boutique, Austin, Texas, (512) 447-7600

They look eerily if not identical to APC...

Edited by thedonger on Dec 7, 2005 at 06:52 PM

They're pretty plain but I wouldn't say they're all that similar to APC. Color is darker, and the denim is more similar to Nudie's than anything else. Of the pairs I've seen the denim is made in Japan with overall construction done in China if memory serves me correct. I'd say they're fairly decent overall, another option to APC or Nudie only with more updated cuts. They do a regular 501-style copy in selvage and several more modern utility-styles (large back pockets, front slash pockets, etc.). Most models I've seen are offered in a one rinse or with slight distressing. Fits were either somewhat fitted (1950 model) or loose (2010 model). The picture above ^^ is of the 1950 I believe.

I think that is just a fluke. I've never heard of it happening personally. I had a similar experience with a pair of G-star's and the front button popping off. Exchanged them and never had a problem since, over 2 years of wear.

tried on the 2010's, and i really liked the fit. They are a slight bootcut i think, and medium rise. nice construction, nice denim but light. Loose fitting, and they drape well. These will probably be my next purchase.

someone posted on here that their Nudie's popped a button the first time they wore them. I guess it happens?

I also tried them on at Odin (nyc); they're a lot baggier than I expected. "Drape well" is a generous way to put it, but that works for some for sure. The denim is nice, but as posted before, nothing exceptional.

Edit: yeah, Circa, the huge "made in China" tab on the buttons threw me off... wierd placement.

Edited by sphoxx on Dec 13, 2005 at 05:45 PM

Rag & Bone does a quality product no doubt about it. However the Kicking Mule stuff is not bad either. Both use a very similar denim to Nudie's selvage models and I would not be surprised if all three in fact used denim sourced from the same mill(s) in Japan. The KMs while lacking some of the finer construction details of the R&B stuff are still a decent product and I believe should still stand up well with wear. My only gripe with Rag & Bone is the standardized lengths on the jeans (30/30, 32/32 etc.) they fit beautiful aside from the length being too short for me in my size (30).

Edited by Circa on Dec 13, 2005 at 08:36 PM

I have to disagree that rag n bone is similar to nudie. my rag n bone seems to be a much lighter weight than what nudie uses and the dyestuf they use seems to be different as the shade of indigo is quite diff. to me atleast. maybe its just the style that I have though. I have a pair of rb6 that's non selvedge.

The only discernable difference I can see is that Rag & Bone is rinsed versus Nudie's dry. Other than that, weight is about the same at around 12-13oz, selvage looks the same, as does the overall denim itself. Check out a washed/rinsed pair of RRDS and compare it with KM & Rag and Bone for yourself. All three also use denim sourced from Japan, etc.

Edited by Circa on Dec 14, 2005 at 08:37 PM

• 6 months later...

just picked up a pair of the black '50s for £90 on sale. they're a complete shot in the dark for me but looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

if any of you heads are in london, they're in the sale at selfridges (huge discounts but, from what i could see, the rest of the denim looked utter rhubarb.)

have you soaked/washed them yet? i'd be interested to know about shrinkage and how the colour's working out...

Actually, I just washed them last night. Not much wear in them, but I started to feel like they were getting itchy :P Color doesn't seem to have changed much, kinda hard to guage shrinking though, because I've been wearing them 3+ months and have no clue what they felt like initially. I don't think shrinking is much of an issue though

I just did a cold wash. The thought of them feeling itchy is just disgusting. I should have done a warm wash, hehe.

Not much was lost in the wash though, which is good. Almost all of my creases have reformed already (I wore them as they dried). They fit a lot better again too. I may join the once a month crowd soon, the difference in fit between a pair fresh out of the wash and one worn for 3+ months is insane.