grime and virus syndicate

nairb49

i think most grime artists don't even have distribution in north america yet, hence the difficulty in finding records.

if youre in toronto there is a grime event happening at the boat in february (i know, quite a ways off), they're spinning all night. i would like to know if there is a grime community in this city at all though, or stores that stock any music.

Ah, they must have changed URLs. Sorry.

canice, Rephlex stuff shouldn't be hard to find in Toronto. Pitchfork-Cockriders aka Rotate This should stock a lot of their releases.

If you mean the seriously underground grime stuff like the amateur MCs on pirate radio and on those Rinse FM shows in London, then yeah, I think they have pretty much no distribution in Canada (not to mention anywhere).

Edited by minya on Dec 6, 2005 at 08:20 PM

Rotate This is on Queen

I forget the exact address, though. It's near Come As You Are.

Also check out Electron Music on Queen (800 Queen? Or something), it's on the 2nd floor. They might have some of what you're looking for.

Edited by minya on Dec 6, 2005 at 09:05 PM

figures... i haven't browsed rotate this in a long minute, the smell of unwashed ocad students is suffocating. though stocking rephlex kind of redeems them. ....no, no wait. it doesn't.

edit: 620 queen st w, west of bathurst.

Edited by canice on Dec 6, 2005 at 09:10 PM

The two 'Grime' compilations Rephlex put out feature more dubstep sounds than they do grime, and the grime tracks are instrumentals. To really get a better idea of the sound, you need to hear the MCs as well...preferably on tapes or mp3s of pirate radio shows. Rinse FM used to stream a lot of stuff on their website, so there'll be low bitrate captures on p2p networks.

The 'Run the Road' compilation that came out on 679 Recordings last year (redistributed in the US by Vice) is a good primer. There's a vol. 2 out recently as well I believe. Both should be available on Amazon.

Quote: i think most grime artists don't even have distribution in north america yet, hence the difficulty in finding records

There's very little distribution of (or demand for) grime 12"s in the US. If you're in NYC, Kim's on St. Mark's has a surprisingly good selection and Other Music will stock a few of the trendier compilations. The best sources online are dubplate.net, blackmarket.co.uk and boomkat.com.

^^ hahaha

i had no idea until about last week either, but maybe thats cause i'm from canada and live in the igloo that is montreal

i've been checking it out, i don't know if florida ever caught on to this, but a few years back "jungle" was pretty big, and this reminds me a bit of that. a bigger focus on the MCs though.

surely someone knows the difference.

nairb49

Quote:

you thinking about the planet mu style stuff? which is pretty much 'art grime'.. rather than through and through grime [like bruza, tinchy, wiley cat etc. etc.] ?!?!

Edited by thomas_highstreet on Dec 7, 2005 at 03:53 AM

--- Original message by thomas_highstreet on Dec 7, 2005 03:51 AM

yeah, i was readin thru this thread thinkin... aphex twin aint grime...

and the grime scene hasnt got no distribution at all really.

u in2 any grime thomas?

thing is shit like breakcore/glitchcore idm gabba and shit borrow similar sounds as straight 'grime' does... but its all good.. im kinda into both.. i got a friend who is really religious in his break/glitch core love.. and im more into all the east and south boys chatting crap at eachother....

ive got quite a few friends who are producing tracks.. some are doing pretty well.. and i make beats too.. just instrumentals right now.. so in that sense they probably fit more into the 'art' grime scene rather than the street level stuff... but i mean.. theyre less tryna be glitchy just to be glitchy.. so they sound like a street track instrumental i guess..

i would link you a bunch of stuff.. .. but your probably aware of how protective peeps are about there sound.. and all the tracks are mid-production cuts.. we'd be pissed if they leaked..

is there any decent birmingham grime crews witts?

Quote:

thing is shit like breakcore/glitchcore idm gabba and shit borrow similar sounds as straight 'grime' does... but its all good.. im kinda into both.. i got a friend who is really religious in his break/glitch core love.. and im more into all the east and south boys chatting crap at eachother....

ive got quite a few friends who are producing tracks.. some are doing pretty well.. and i make beats too.. just instrumentals right now.. so in that sense they probably fit more into the 'art' grime scene rather than the street level stuff... but i mean.. theyre less tryna be glitchy just to be glitchy.. so they sound like a street track instrumental i guess..

i would link you a bunch of stuff.. .. but your probably aware of how protective peeps are about there sound.. and all the tracks are mid-production cuts.. we'd be pissed if they leaked..

is there any decent birmingham grime crews witts?

--- Original message by thomas_highstreet on Dec 10, 2005 09:42 AM

not really there was one goin round bout 6months ago called birmingham mic control but was full of shit mc's from my old college with no lyrics jus chattin shit on the mic prentending. the only decent stuff ive heard round birmz is more hip hop style than grime. but im into my drum n bass more than ne thin. dont pay a huge amount of attention to grime. occasionally flic on channel U, only to turn it off when that nikki S + nyke video comes on thats so pathetic. all his fat football hooligan friends u seen it?

send me a couple of your beats.. or u got em uploaded somewhere??

newham generals and wiley kat throw it down quite well

guess since the first grime i really encountered was virus syndicate, i'm partial to them

they have a flow that is missing in some other stuff like ruff squad

but still good

thomas, if you're uploading, mind sending me some of your top tracks? tough to come by here

nairb49

Quote:

^^ hahaha

i had no idea until about last week either, but maybe thats cause i'm from canada and live in the igloo that is montreal

i've been checking it out, i don't know if florida ever caught on to this, but a few years back "jungle" was pretty big, and this reminds me a bit of that. a bigger focus on the MCs though.

surely someone knows the difference.

--- Original message by nairb49 on Dec 10, 2005 06:25 AM

yeah... i was into jungle backin 98 maybe... got turned off when it got too fast and too cold... liked the dancehall sampling type stuff and "progression sessions" by, umm, ltj bukem. if its like that type of shit i might have to check it out