Serum VS Venom

super

The guy who does SVSV (David Gensler) has a background in advertising. Used to work with Damon Dash in some regard as well.

I really don't think the stuff is actually available. I know there was some talk of a Bespoke "streetwear" line that I guess was supposed to fall somewhere within the SVSV line.

To me the stuff looks like leftover late 90's tech fashion junk.

I've talked with David (only on the phone) about the SVSV stuff after I made fun of it in Newstoday. I was originally pretty skeptical of it (I titled my thread "Dear David Gensler...Please stop making ugly clothes"), but once he explains the concept behind it, the materials and work and thought he puts into the line, you really appreciate at least what he's doing if only for the sake of it. It's expensive not because it's some BBC hype bullshit, but because the composition of the clothing is actually high-quality stuff.

We had talked about some new accessories he had planned, basically ceramic bullets with gold and platinum tips to be worn as jewelery...again, esoteric, but you got to applaud the guy for trying new stuff. It's haute couture but for a different market.

And yes, the products are real. I originally called fake on them as well, but they're doing some good business and keeping a low profile.

Not really, I don't have any investment in this, I just do it to beef up my portfolio. Like I said, I was (am) still skeptical of its ability to succeed. The stuff is ridiculously expensive and the styles are a bit lame, however there's some real quality and money put INto the clothes.

But the clothing does exist. Kinda silly to doubt that.

• 3 weeks later...

and on ASF today.

So who buys SVSV? Who do you list as clients?

I can’t name names, but the way that that whole circle works is that it’s all whispers... I’m fortunate with my background and the circles of entertainers and producers and directors out in Hollywood, big photographers, couple big designers, a lot of people in corporate America. People get caught up on the imagery, either the Middle Eastern flair, or the chuck Anderson stuff in the first campaign, if you look at the pieces by themselves, their pretty plain. Like they’re real clean, there’s nothing sort of wildly abstract about them, so a lot of executive types are like “I’d just like a nice black jacket.†And yeah, we’ve kind of got our hipster pool, so we’ll start moving some t shirts and light jackets so more people can get their hands on it.

also on Pharrell, BAPE and so on

http://www.asilentflute.com/gensler/

interview is fucking ridiculous

when the first question answered is "i like pharrell" you can tell where it's going

i could go on and on

how about when gensler reps pharrell and teriyaki boys, then as soon as nat tells him teriyaki boys is wack, he spends like four paragraphs talking about how bape and teriyaki boys is ridiculous and has too much mainstream exposure etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

how about the the fact that gensler has a hard-on for how expensive his SVSV "streetwear" is, how only (unnamed, of course) celebrities can cop it for thousands of dollars. apparently doesn't like mainstream exposure, but then... why do an interview with a silent flute? why send out press releases to slam x hype, hypebeast?

pretty sickening. he reveals the whole game at the end of the interview when he mentions t-shirts and jackets "for the masses." i'm willing to bet they have no clientele, maybe they've given jigga stuff, for free.

all this done for no reason other than to try and inflate the prices of their t-shirts and jackets they will inevitably come out with, that's the real purpose of SVSV.

Yawn.

What's very interesting his description of value, and how in today's massively interconnected world, value is often assigned rather than created, or inherent. And he gives Bathing Ape as a (very appropriate) example, as well as Conceptshop charging $1200 for a Supreme t-shirt. But then where does Serum vs Venom fit in? Is a $15,000 vicuna hoodie actually "valuable"?

Imo, Serum vs. Venom is sort of a culmination of all the hyper-limited bullshit that has been going on. So limited it doesn't exist.

I never liked The Brilliance or SVSV. It just seems too contrived and artifical; they seem to attach value and hype to anything and everything, particularly hip-hop which I feel is losing appeal. This passage in the article in particular really annoys me:

Quote: Well, we said to ourselves “how would you make a real luxury thing?†Mark Ecko with his cut and sew, he’s like “its luxury†but it’s not, it’s an image thing. So we were like, how do you make true luxury? So we started playing with new materials, and I thought it’s kind of funny to put an icon like a bullet together with something kind of frail like porcelain. So take the fine porcelain and put that together with something like a bullet and then stick some platinum and gold on the tips, so it’s just kind of like contradicting itself. At the same time, we wanted to raise awareness on a positive note, kind of like a Lance Armstrong thing. We’re going to use the campaign to raise awareness of the fact that AK-47 bullets in Liberia and Nigeria lead to around seventy thousand deaths in one month in 2003 alone. Seventy thousand, man. That’s like taking a giant football stadium and killing every person inside. And these deaths are people our age that are just not fortunate enough to live in Brooklyn or live wherever and sit there and swoon over the latest iPod or something like that. Not that we’re activist, by any means, I’m not a big Adbusters reader, but I mean damn, dude you cant even watch the discovery channel without feeling bad.

I feelike they are trying to pull strings outta no where with this. Bullets to raise awareness of AK-47 bullets in Liberia and Nigeria!? Please, this is awful.

Edited by djrajio on Jan 5, 2006 at 06:22 PM

i'll give the guy credit, decent enough designs and such

but then again, i'll call him a stupid ass for charging such a stupid price.

unfortunately, there will always be plenty of stupid people with too much money, and i'm sure david gensler will always be the try-hard schmoozer making friends with them so that he can sell them his stuff to get exposure.

Suppose you got to give the guy credit as a "branding strategist" because here we are (and we are arguably influences, or at least part of his target audience) talking about it and giving him exposure.

that said, i'm hereby declaring that regardless of how much money i have or will ever have, i'm not buyin svsv. i'd much rather ride the tide of designers and throw down 600 on dior's hoodie before this guys.

nairb49