Your Original Music

mono14

^no hate, but that shit is horrendous

anything that emulates Wolf Eyes is not cool by me. I hate useless noise rock that never turns into anything. Its not even intense or exciting, its just annoying.

You're gonna have to explain the appeal of it to me, cause I just don't get it.

I'm not really interested in emulating Wolf Eyes. I think I stumbled into one of their gigs a couple years ago. Didn't stay long. The vibe was weird. I think the only record of theirs I own is some early duo version of the band that came out on Bulb. And even that is pretty strange and sort of surprisingly industrial.

The second clip I'll admit is pretty masturbatory (you should hear the terrible vocals I pulled out that night too). But that was sort of the point at the time. And anyway, it was a one-off thing that never happened again. Probably shouldn't have put it up here but it amuses me so much.

The real point though, regarding the other video, is that this has nothing to do with rock. It has nothing to do with rhythm. It has nothing to do with melody. It is a music of changes and of sound juxtapositions. All about the interactions of sounds and the interaction of sounds with silences over time (though not so much silence in this case since that gig was at the home of a guy who runs a noise label and there was a certain aesthetic expected of us).

The roots of the music I make most heavily straddle european free improvisation traditions and 20th century composition. I draw far more from George Crumb and David Tudor and musicians like Evan Parker and Steve Berseford than I do any song-based music.

And a lot of what I do is actually much more delicate and controlled than that. But for some reason nobody decides to whip out a video camera during the really good shit.

edit: If you're willing to hear out my point, download this recent track. I think it might help things make better sense.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zwvjzm2ntzt

watch?v=RZT8hoHRFZY

my "metallic crust band", mohoram atta.

there's a 20-30 second intro to the fest we played, and then there is the majority of our set that is nearly impossible to make out.

edit: can't figure out how to embed, i'm a fool :[

to RFK: I completely understand where you're coming from, and though I am far and away more versed in conventional music, I just see no value in the music if it doesn't have any audial appeal. I can understand the notion of the juxtaposition of sounds, loops, parallels that can be seen in the noise, etc., but I feel that the notion can be easily lost on someone such as myself. Personally, I think its obnoxious and a waste of time, but obviously there is a huge fan base out there and a huge scene. I just find it to be completely pretentious to subject any audience to that and somewhat self-aggrandizing to think that the noise you're making is "music" per say. Again, its nothing against you, and its my bias by being a far more conventional listener, but its so cliched in the post-modern context that it becomes farce (more in reference to that second video). I'll listen to that track you posted and get back to you with more of an opinion later on.

I do understand your perspective. And I imagine the track I linked will probably sound like more postmodern bullshit to you.

And to a certain extent, you're right. Most of the "noise" scene actually isn't interested in making music. They just want to produce loud ugly sounds and put on a crazy show. And it gives a bad name to other experimental music that works in an overlapping sound palette.

But taking your approach to all non-tonal music strikes me as equivalent to looking at a Jackson Pollock painting, or any of the abstract expressionists for that matter, and saying "That's not art because it doesn't look like anything". Or to tell Lucio Fontana that he's not a painter due to the way he broke the 2-dimensional expectations of a canvas rather than just using it as established.

This is gonna sound gross and pretentious but I like to think that I make music the way that Rothko painted landscapes. Admittedly with far less skill so far.

I've got a duo with a guitar player that was released at the compost and height blog which actually has lots of real notes. Might be easier to connect with. Even as abstract as it it, it still feels like a much more traditional guitar/percussion duet. I feel weird hijacking this thread with so much of my music but: http://tinyurl.com/6qpkk2

I do understand your perspective. And I imagine the track I linked will probably sound like more postmodern bullshit to you.

And to a certain extent, you're right. Most of the "noise" scene actually isn't interested in making music. They just want to produce loud ugly sounds and put on a crazy show. And it gives a bad name to other experimental music that works in an overlapping sound palette.

But taking your approach to all non-tonal music strikes me as equivalent to looking at a Jackson Pollock painting, or any of the abstract expressionists for that matter, and saying "That's not art because it doesn't look like anything". Or to tell Lucio Fontana that he's not a painter due to the way he broke the 2-dimensional expectations of a canvas rather than just using it as established.

This is gonna sound gross and pretentious but I like to think that I make music the way that Rothko painted landscapes. Admittedly with far less skill so far.

I've got a duo with a guitar player that was released at the compost and height blog which actually has lots of real notes. Might be easier to connect with. Even as abstract as it it, it still feels like a much more traditional guitar/percussion duet. I feel weird hijacking this thread with so much of my music but: http://tinyurl.com/6qpkk2

See, my feeling is, its less Pollock than it is Rauschenberg. I associate abstract expressionism when I hear that kind of stuff. It's the first analogy I would think of if I thought art. For some reason when I think Pollock, I think Stone Roses (probably because of John Squire's art). But thats just me.

For me, its not the notes that matter, its the fact that a lot of the noise scene is like you said, so much more interested in spectacle, than it is in output. If I had to take selections of noise bands that I'd like, it would end up sounding like a Washing Machine-era SY composite mixed with the sort of frenetic pace of something like Lightning Bolt or HEALTH. While HEALTH are relative newcomers, I think they encapsulate a lot more of what I do find attractive about the noise scene and sorta bring a more playful albeit violent and sometime confrontational feeling to the music. I just think of lot of the music is dribble compared to something that has an obvious flow. Referencing a lot of the influences on the original experimental scene makes for an even higher level of pretension due to the fact that much of the fan base won't know who the fuck you're talking about. So in essence, I'm more turned off by the lack of knowledge by the creators of the music, which leads to the music being pointless and misinformed. Thats a global statement, not specifically in reference to your stuff.

Did you listen all the way though? There are quite a few instruments by the end. And yeah, the voice is more than a little...theatrical. Either you get to like it or not, I think.

i did, and i noticed that. i think the instrumental structure is great... which is why i think its a pity the vocal fucks shit up. i get what its intended to do - the execution just falls flat imo

anyway, much better than the shit i pulled out

good job

sounded like he was trying to sing like ian curtis btw

i did, and i noticed that. i think the instrumental structure is great... which is why i think its a pity the vocal fucks shit up. i get what its intended to do - the execution just falls flat imo

anyway, much better than the shit i pulled out

good job

sounded like he was trying to sing like ian curtis btw

That's really interesting, I never would have made that association. Maybe if Ian Curtis had a background in choral music. We just got our album back from the duplication place, actually; I'm pretty psyched.