Does anyone else think popular sneaker culture is ridiculous?

meditation

KINDA SORTA..

I HATE WHEN SOME STUPID NERD ROLLS UP WITH THE NEWEST "SB" AND IS TRYING TO LOOK ALL TUFF LIKE "UH HUH THATS RIGHT..., BOW DOWN TO THE KING OF NIKES"

ERGGGHHHH I JUST WANT TO SET THOSE FUCKS ON FIRE..

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER

Edited by Selegna on Nov 18, 2005 at 09:13 PM

Quote:

KINDA SORTA..

I HATE WHEN SOME STUPID NERD ROLLS UP WITH THE NEWEST "SB" AND IS TRYING TO LOOK ALL TUFF LIKE "UH HUH THATS RIGHT..., BOW DOWN TO THE KING OF NIKES"

ERGGGHHHH I JUST WANT TO SET THOSE FUCKS ON FIRE..

--- Original message by Selegna on Nov 18, 2005 09:13 PM

That's the kinda thing I'm talking about... 500 colour combinations of the exact same shoe? err?

The important thing before I report in... my position.

ridiculous is kids feening for things they had no clue about when it ORIGINALLY dropped. what does a 17 year old kid know about AJ3s? they were ZERO when they first came out. no history. no clue. just riding the wave...

"all these Pavarottis followin' me"

Edited by sr20det on Nov 18, 2005 at 10:00 PM

Quote:

ridiculous is kids feening for things they had no clue about when it ORIGINALLY dropped. what does a 17 year old kid know about AJ3s? they were ZERO when they first came out. no history. no clue. just riding the wave...

--- Original message by sr20det on Nov 18, 2005 09:47 PM

i disagree, you can learn the history of a shoe, i don't think you should have been there when i was originally released, just don't wear it when your just following a hype that's true, but i mean who was there when levi's originally released the 501? but you can learn about the history of a brand or type of jeans or shoe and really like it, but like you were saying don't ride the wave

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Sneaker culture for some people is all about nostalgia. I tend to buy shoes that I had when I was younger or ones I couldn't get because I was poor. I had some

wannabe Terminators (black and grey Stadias) when I was a kid and people use to make fun of me about it, last year I bought a pair in the original colors for $20 on sale. I like the infrared Air Max 90 a lot not because it's hyped, it's because it was my little brother's first pair of decent shoes and he wore then until they turned brown and crusty. For me growing up it was all about the shoes (well shoes and Transformers), I would save up and have the lamest clothes but I would be happy to get a decent pair of trainers.

I also used to work at a shoe store for the longest time so I ended up buying a bunch of shoes, not just for looks only but a lot of times we were into the technology or because I liked the basketball player.

I think there are tons of people out there that makes people that are into sneakers look like a bunch of vultures. I don't own any SB's but if I had a chance to buy a pair at retail that looked decent I'd get a pair just to see how they feel like. But I'd rather get some Jack Purcells, or some Pro Keds.

If you read Bobbito's book that's what sneaker culture is all about.

Sneaker culture for some people is all about nostalgia. I tend to buy shoes that I had when I was younger or ones I couldn't get because I was poor. I had some

wannabe Terminators (black and grey Stadias) when I was a kid and people use to make fun of me about it, last year I bought a pair in the original colors for $20 on sale. I like the infrared Air Max 90 a lot not because it's hyped, it's because it was my little brother's first pair of decent shoes and he wore then until they turned brown and crusty. For me growing up it was all about the shoes (well shoes and Transformers), I would save up and have the lamest clothes but I would be happy to get a decent pair of trainers.

I also used to work at a shoe store for the longest time so I ended up buying a bunch of shoes, not just for looks only but a lot of times we were into the technology or because I liked the basketball player.

I think there are tons of people out there that makes people that are into sneakers look like a bunch of vultures. I don't own any SB's but if I had a chance to buy a pair at retail that looked decent I'd get a pair just to see how they feel like. But I'd rather get some Jack Purcells, or some Pro Keds.

If you read Bobbito's book that's what sneaker culture is all about.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

no matter how you spend your money. there will be a group of people who want to tell you what to do with it.

what cracks me up is that all these kids line up for shoes that everyone else on that line will have.

"limited edition" nikes have become the ulimate me-too sneakers

This is retarded, I'm not even a Dunk SB collector or whatever, but the hate is deep.

You can apply the same kinda critiques to anything. People who are into older, vintage cars, collect old stamps, buy old ass art, whatever vintage/retro kinda shit you want to make an example, they all were not around when these kinda things came out, but through appreciation of the history and research of what went on/how to acquire these kinds of things, they came to enjoy and want to collect these items. Does that mean they can't appreciate/buy these things? I'm sure many of the shoe collectors know about the history and OG colourways and all that, but if you're fed certain new releases, that's what you're going to get, in addition to searching for the older, OG, rare shit.

Were all of you alive or even able to listen and appreciate the origins of music when The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Al Green, BDP, Rakim, blah blah were in their prime? I'm sure some of you listen or appreciate their music, does not giving the effort to find out their history and music mean you can't listen to them?

No matter what, you're going to have posers and trend riders, it goes for fashion, sports, music, whatever, fan boys, dick riders and bandwagon jumpers are rampant throughout society, you can't escape it, so shut up and deal with it.

Just let people do what they want to do, and quit your bloodclot cryin'.

http://www.inquiringmind.ca

I really don't care what people people spend the money they earned on.

I usually buy shoes that I wanted, but couldn't afford when I was younger. For example I wanted Air 180s or even Air Max 95s, but could only get some the Nike Pegasus.

Some shoes I was too young for, like the Nike Safari collection, but I still like it. Just beacuse I was little when those shoes dropped doesn't mean I can't wear them. Its all about respecting history, products that defined a year, and good taste.

It's only become ridiculous when it comes to Dunks. What makes a shoe so rad when all your friends and acquaintances are all rocking the same shoes that're supposed to so "limited"?

Plus extreme matching is really teh fucking ghey. I mean, think about it. Really. When your wearing Dunks on your feet, Dunks, or laces, or soles on your tees, and Dunk necklaces, or whatever... It's just fucking too much.

What type of girls are attracted to that? Honestly. Because it's strictly like 99% dudes who beast over that type of shit.

On a related note, who the fuck wants to see a girl in sneakers anyway? That's like seeing a dude in high heels... Just doesn't do anything for me.

http://www.tragicbliss.com

Quote:

all your commentrs make snese.

but bottom line, what you don't understand and ewe all hate.

THERE'S TOO MANY LAME KIDS WHO BUY EVERY SB, AND BUY BOX CAPS ON EBAY.

THEY BUY ALL THE MATCHING INTERNET SHIRTS AND THEN TAKE PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES AND POST ON NIKETALK. THESE KIDS DRIVE UP THE PRICES AND ANNOY THE SHOPS.

THIS IS WHAT WE HATE.

--- Original message by dontcaretoomuchforcrap on Nov 19, 2005 01:42 PM

I have to agree with you here.

For the most part, I do not mind what people are into..but I can tell when I went into Supreme to ask a few questions and purchase a few items I was met with a bit of a cold attitude. I would be offended but I understood why, they deal with annoying little kids all the time.

I remember when the fall line came out and I passed by the stores a few times, people were arguing about a line.

90% of that line were wearing nearly the same outfit, head to toe in the same color. Now being into what you're into is fine, but trying to make the exclusivity part of the hobby such an emphasis is lame when the next 10 kids behind you have the same shit and look exactly the same. When it comes down to it, it's really all just clothes and fashion, and a big part of that to me is personality and I find that the uniform of this culture is no different than the suburban abercrombie college kids. They're just a big blur.

Quote:

Quote:

all your commentrs make snese.

but bottom line, what you don't understand and ewe all hate.

THERE'S TOO MANY LAME KIDS WHO BUY EVERY SB, AND BUY BOX CAPS ON EBAY.

THEY BUY ALL THE MATCHING INTERNET SHIRTS AND THEN TAKE PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES AND POST ON NIKETALK. THESE KIDS DRIVE UP THE PRICES AND ANNOY THE SHOPS.

THIS IS WHAT WE HATE.

What would be the solution?

It seems like every other thread on Supertalk is about hating something, it's become Superhater. It's good to criticize constructively but without some sort of constructive discussion it's no better then the problem.

Should the dudes that own Supreme close up shop to keep it real? Should they only sell to the people in the know? Supreme is a business. At the end of the day when the hype dies the people that are truly into Nike SB/Supreme/Bape whatever will continue to like it. It's streetwear just because a person is caught up on the hype we don't have to look down on them.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Edited by vinz on Nov 19, 2005 at 02:44 PM

Quote:

This is retarded, I'm not even a Dunk SB collector or whatever, but the hate is deep.

You can apply the same kinda critiques to anything. People who are into older, vintage cars, collect old stamps, buy old ass art, whatever vintage/retro kinda shit you want to make an example, they all were not around when these kinda things came out, but through appreciation of the history and research of what went on/how to acquire these kinds of things, they came to enjoy and want to collect these items. Does that mean they can't appreciate/buy these things? I'm sure many of the shoe collectors know about the history and OG colourways and all that, but if you're fed certain new releases, that's what you're going to get, in addition to searching for the older, OG, rare shit.

Were all of you alive or even able to listen and appreciate the origins of music when The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Al Green, BDP, Rakim, blah blah were in their prime? I'm sure some of you listen or appreciate their music, does not giving the effort to find out their history and music mean you can't listen to them?

No matter what, you're going to have posers and trend riders, it goes for fashion, sports, music, whatever, fan boys, dick riders and bandwagon jumpers are rampant throughout society, you can't escape it, so shut up and deal with it.

Just let people do what they want to do, and quit your bloodclot cryin'.

--- Original message by soulize on Nov 19, 2005 11:47 AM

What a load of shit!

The important thing before I report in... my position.

I agree, too many kids, mostly young spoiled brats are getting into the whole dunk game. They do ruin the market for the rest of us, however sneaker culture is not bugus. Its completly subjective. If you see some random dude with the latest sb's and immediately put a tag on him that hes some hypebeast, then that is rediculous. There is a reason why dunks become popular - theyre an awsome shoe. The latest boom in sneaker culture is beucase of these young, obsessive kids, however labeleling people because they like dunks, is just immature.

Quote:
Quote: It's streetwear just because a person is caught up on the hype we don't have to look down on them.

but then you realise that these people are total dicks. thats what gets me. they call shops all the time, they ask the most annoying questions, they pretend they know everything, and they ruin the market for the rest of us.

they're the newcomers too.

--- Original message by dontcaretoomuchforcrap on Nov 19, 2005 03:42 PM

dctmfc is on point! who would've thought?!

there's 2 sides really... the ones who have childhood memories that can relate... and the ones who don't. the later usually drop essays on why we should all hold hands. it's ok, you can still be part of the club. just don't front like selegna said above.

"all these Pavarottis followin' me"

ha

don't get it twisted: people like dontcaretoomuchforcrap are even more pathetic than all the youngins you guys hate for copping all your precious sbeeeeeez

he's the kind of guy who would wear some air max 95, not because he particularly likes the shoe, but so he can go around to all the shops and show everyone how anti-hypebeast he is, he'll probably also complain, loudly, to the shop owners about all the little kids wearing SBs and "ruining the shoe game"

anti-hypebeast is the new hypebeast