To Vote, or Not to Vote

imightbechad

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no party will ever represent all of your views. there are too many issues for that to ever be the case. stop being a baby.

so true

this year's race is going to be amazingly close, I think...

maybe SUFU independents will swing the vote.

its one thing to not vote, if you truly beleive your voice is worthless, then dont exercise your right to use it.

its an entirely other thing to promote apathy to people who still have hope that their vote matters. any discussion of how pointless the electoral process is will encourage less participation from those surrounding you. then you are putting a dent in a collective voice. fuck that noise. if your not gonna vote, then just stay home on ballot day and kop jawns, but dont put bad ideas in other peoples heads.

Because regardless of the fact that you don't vote, somebody's going to be voted into office. You're never going to find a candidate that has an agenda that you agree completely with, but you have to identify with at least some of the issues that one of the candidates promotes - even if it's a third party.

You guys are some fucking cynical bastards.

lol your feet are size 9US? babby feet
One thing should motivate you lazy bastards to vote this year:

SARAH PALIN AS POSSIBLE PRESIDENT FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS

quoted for thrufs

I am consciously declining to vote. I have many reasons, but the most simple is the Electoral College. I live in MD, which is certainly going to lean democratic - therefore my vote is effectively disenfranchised.

There are real ways to impact the political process, voting in a demographically homogeneous state is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

There are real ways to impact the political process, voting in a demographically homogeneous state is not one of them.

I'm from NY, going to school in MD. This coming tuesday I'm taking a train back home so that I can vote for the first time in my life, in an election that really matters to me.

How are you impacting the political process other than being indifferent?

the simple answer is, if you're stupid (that's right, stupid) enough to think that Sarah Palin and her fucked up fundamentalist Christan ideals have any place anywhere near a political office, much less the most powerful political office in the world, you should not only stay home, but please spay or neuter yourself to remove your seed from the gene pool, thereby preventing further stupid ignorant redneck voters from contributing to a stupid hateful bitch actually being a viable opponent for an educated black man.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being a republican, but it doesn't mean you have to vote that way every time (just in case I'm offending people who are actually reasonable).

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of all governments except for all others that have been tried.

you dick, i was going to quote churchill...I ALWAYS QUOTE CHURCHILL.

not exercising your right to vote doesn't come across as protest of the system, it makes you look like a lazy uneducated fuck because there is no way of letting the country know that you chose to do abstain as protest, as opposed to just being ignorant. I say it's best to vote, and then let your critiques of the system/candidates/whatever be heard in a more scholarly and effective manner than just sitting on your ass while the rest of the population picks your next president.

I am consciously declining to vote. I have many reasons, but the most simple is the Electoral College. I live in MD, which is certainly going to lean democratic - therefore my vote is effectively disenfranchised.

Trying living over here buddy.

1) When it come to the president, in many states, it's a moot point. The Electoral Collegr was set up to disenfranchise voters. Add a two-pary system and It's fixed, more or less.

2) The elections that really matter, to your life, however, are very democratic. I'm talking about local issues and elections: the justice of the peace you're going to be talking to after that inconvenient traffic incident; planning commissioners that may or may not raze the last bastion of independent retailers in your neighborhood; and ballot initiatives that will directly affect your paycheck -- and ability to kop jawns.

So, yea, I get that the celebrity vote is pointless. You do, however, have a say in things that are really going to mess with your life on a micro level. Or, just keep paying those taxes and bitching about how everything is fucked up.

Cast a blank ballot.

You get to participate in the political process and not vote for anyone. Casting a blank ballot isn't stupid, but not even going to the polls when you're paying attention to the election is a dumber/less rational move on yer part than folks who don't vote b/c they've been apathetic from the start.

some of yall are trippin. i get the lesser of two evils point. i dont think the democratic party is flawless, nor do i beleive obama will solve everything he claims he can. i do, however, think hes the more straight forward and progressive thinker of the two. id hate to see another anti-intellectual administration. but, to be fair, mccain is far more intelligent than his vice pres candidate and the current president. ive been suprised by him in the final weeks of his campaign for his diplomacy while his base and his running partner pander to the lowest common denominator and fear tactics. mccain is a standup dude. but hes almost dead and his 2nd in command is a useless twat. also, his party operates on outdated ideology.

obama is definately as manufactured as any other politician, but he has the potential to challenge the way political action operates. it wont be a clean slate for washington if hets office, but it will be a step in the right direction.

if you refuse to vote based on the idea that it wont create your ideal political utopia, and miss the opporitunity to push toward that, inch by inch, youre seriously hurting yourself.

also, for you republicans or just straight up racists out there, if you must vote mccain, can you atleast write someone elses name on the vice pres candidate? biden/clinton/condoleeza, anyone but palin. thank you.

no, that doesnt work. but its worth the effort.

it's a real problem actually - there's a lot of working class voters who feel completely neglected by both campaigns (mccain -> superrich, obama -> middle class) and don't see their lives improving substantially under either. however, i doubt this includes most on this forum.

even if you didn't care, it's not like this is the only item on the ballot wherever you are.

to be honest, voter registration and participation numbers are so depressing you would be just reinforcing how far off from a democracy the us is by abstaining.

OH IM A REBEL OH IM SO DISENCHANTED WITH THE GOVERNMENT OH GOD MY VOTE DOESNT COUNT BECAUSE MY STATE IS SO OVERWHELMINGLY DEMOCRATIC THAT IT DOESNT MATTER OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR THE NEW GODSMACK RECORD FUCKING RULES OH MAN I JUST WANT TO LIKE MOVE ALL MY FRIENDS INTO THE FOREST AND LISTEN TO METAL AND HANG OUT AND STUFF FUCK THE GOVERNMENT RARRRGHH!

6a00bf76d0a9b7438300e398c20f8b0002-500pi