What is anti-fit?

Jim Cissell

To be honest, I'm surprised they tweak the 501 design every decade or so, since they have so many other styles to work with.

When I learned that the 501 cut was 'played-with' early on, I was surprised they'd mess with something so iconic. I can certainly understand the styling changes pretty early on - especially from the initial shapeless design, to say, the later 1947 model, but you'd think they'd have left a good thing alone, after that.

The anti-fit just fits akwardly, if you ask me. The snug fit isn't there and that was once part of the draw of 501s, I do believe. But I guess by saying that, I've condoned some of the styling changes that were done years ago, right?!

Anyway, just some additional thoughts...

Jim

Jim Cissell

Anti fit is also more of a work wear thing, and the antithesis of that 80s, shaped look, which is why LS&Co are pushing it now. Levi's jeans' initial shape probably derived from military pants, and the cut itself is partly designed to minimise fabric usage. In my experience (and I'd be interested to see if other confirm this is correct), you can spot more antifit jeans from their profile by looking to see if the legs are more splayed.