The Supertrash Culture Thread

broneck

So this is a thread for all the stupid bohunks like me who don't understand certain artistic endeavours and need to be spoonfed the stuff. If anyone else is culturally limited, feel free to join in.

I honestly need Matthew Barney explained to me. I need to know if anyone on here takes him seriously, and I need to know why GQ listed him in their "Legacies" of the past 50 years. I hope the answer is pseudo-intellectualism. Please help me. I'm not trying to change and start loving this shit or anything, I just need to know why things like this exist and if there is any actual merit/meaning/etc.

Smart people go.

more questions will follow. i'm concerned that this is a big one though.

i think you have to see matthew barney's shit in person to really appreciate it. he had an exhibition in vienna a while ago and while i maybe didn't "get" it, everything was amazing to look at. a fucking stranded boat made of wax! also seeing videos of how he works really puts things in context.

i haven't really seen anything by him except for the "drawing restraint" series.

i know you dont speak german but this is a decent look into the stuff he did for that exhibition

i'll get shit but i don't get radiohead at all. don't see anything new or novel or anything really.

I like Radiohead but at the same time I don't get why they're such a big deal :confused:

I like Ok Computer and In Rainbows, but don't understand why everyone praises Kid A so much. It has some decent tunes but idk, I guess it's just over my head. Every time I listen to it, I think that listening to music shouldn't be this hard. Someone tell me why it's so great.

I like Radiohead but at the same time I don't get why they're such a big deal :confused:

I like Ok Computer and In Rainbows, but don't understand why everyone praises Kid A so much. It has some decent tunes but idk, I guess it's just over my head. Every time I listen to it, I think that listening to music shouldn't be this hard. Someone tell me why it's so great.

What Radiohead did with Kid A is similar to what Talking Heads did with Fear of Music or Remain in Light: they synthesized a lesser-known genre of music with more-mainstream pop. Some argue that Radiohead was watering down musical pathways already explored by Autechre, Aphex Twin, et al., but that's not really true, as they saw minimal electronic music in a way that those other bands never did.