American Casual Festival (Taiwan)

azn8oi

It seems like I'm pretty lucky this year. I went to visit zk4025 in his store in Taipei and he gave me an invite to the show this coming weekend. It looks very promising based on the guests that are there:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

more info at http://www.wretch.cc/blog/cherryjuice/

I will take pics and post them back after this weekend. This looks promising, even though I'm not really into Americana. Any Taiwanese going to this? (long shot straight into the depths of hell, I know) (可以說中文)

Lesson 1: Jun from Zipangu Leatherworks

How to make a leather bracelet from scratch.

IMG_4558.jpg

Jun San

IMG_4565.jpg

20+ minutes of sewing

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

sample coin purses for sale ($60, ASS RAPINGLY CHEAP)

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

the iron used to stamp on "Zipangu"

IMG_4581.jpg

steez

IMG_4591.jpg

we played rock paper scissors for the bracelet that Jun made. this guy won.

_J4GOh3BntU

Lesson 2: Mr. CherryJuice giving a lesson on general boot care, what kind of oils/waxes to apply on boots and when, and how to tie laces on a boot with an Edmond paw on it. He talked about a lot of things but it's all in Chinese-- and I am not translating all of it, it's too much. I'll post one Chinese clip for fun.

IMG_4610.jpg

CherryJuice

e5KI59wzO8Y

How to tie the laces with that knob sticking out so that the knob doesn't move. You're welcome, Edmond.

ZZ_iitq_Pho

For those who understand Chinese, a rant about why people shouldn't expect boots to be waterproof in the rain.

Answer: Most boots aren't made for that purpose so stop treating them like they're made to be waterproof. One of the only 100% waterproof boots is the Danner boot with goretex.

Lesson 3: Kurt (zk4025) talks denim.

OSbN6JtA4J4

Here is zk4025's lecture. It is obviously on denim. Denim care, denim quality, thread count in a denim, washing tips, etc etc etc

I'll provide a rough translation later, too busy now. The video is 9.5 minutes long and 100% in Chinese. If you're smart you can figure out how to say whisker and selvage in Chinese :P

Lesson 4: Welling Leatherworks

This is actually my favorite lecture of the night. I didn't actually learn that much from it, but it impressed me the most.

This lady makes hand-carved and hand-stamped wallets. Her production company is called "Welling". You will see what I mean by 'stamped' when I post the video.

will put up her brief video later, but these are her products. 100% HAND MADE. NOT MACHINE PRESSED.

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

Lesson 5: Boot Quality lecture -- never got his name...

This was an amazing lecture but it was all talking, and I didn't record any of it because I ran out of memory on my memory card... Some pics though-- amazing-- this guy destroyed boots so he can learn about the insides of them... He knows so much that it blows my head off. He works in the boots industry (cobbling?) though, not all personal cops, ha.

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

Lesson 6: The Thurs hosts fresh tee-printing

They used a mold and applied a thin layer of ink over it to make the print. I didn't buy one (pre-order only)

1GV2JFY-6d0

IMG_4675.jpg

This is me and Kurt (zk4025)

I wish I can go again! I think I will leave Taiwan before the next ACF show, though.

但是謝謝您的歡迎。

and for the rest of you guys with interest.. please give me a few days to get everything up.

Bump-

almost everything is up. I owe a video update the Welling Leatherworks post (lesson 4).

I will try to translate zk4025's (Kurt) video as best as I can.. will take a while though.

everything else is basically finalized, save for me flowering up the posts by buttering up the language. whatever.

Wow, great knowledge dropping stuff. Nice to know denim/leather/work boot nerdism is a global phenomenon. (We are not alone…) What I love best about the videos is the audience. They seem almost hypnotized by each presenter. A group of skinny Chinese men, hanging on every word, while rocking their U.S. military work wear repros. Its almost surreal.