explain bape's marketing to me?

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

alright, supply and demand rules so much stuff.

but i turned on mtv [don't ask me why]. they had pharell on wearing all bape / ice cream, then his bape carachacture on there.

then usher or someone else had a whole group of people he introduced, and they were all wearing bape.

I'm guessing this was all comp. stuff.

So, iuf there's only one store in the whole country, and they only sell a handful of items, and rent is huge, how do they bank it?

internet talk is huge, and maybe thats the goal, but when it comes down to it, how much money can Nigo actually make?

It's the Emperor's new clothes syndrome. Basically overpriced w@nk but people daren't say so for fear of looking uncool.

I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and

fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Quote:

It's the Emperor's new clothes syndrome. Basically overpriced w@nk but people daren't say so for fear of looking uncool.

--- Original message by Guy H on Nov 8, 2005 05:25 AM

Im the reverse. At the risk of being uncool I dont wanna people to know that I used to like Ape. Yeah like I care what a bunch of zero knowledge wannabes in patent leather clown shoes and fag camo `hoodies` think about me anyways.

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Talk outside the BWS London store on Saturday was that Usher turned up there, selected a pile of stuff and then expected a discount, which he was refused. Which would be great if it was true, but I've also heard rumours that Ian Brown has turned up to queue and that just can't be true, seeing as he's supposed to be such a close friend of Nigo.

As for how Bape makes any money, in London at least just about every new style either sells out within half an hour (in the case of hoodies and sweats) or within a week for other stuff. You rarely see the same stock from one week to the next.

It seems to be the only store in London that's clearing shelves on a regular basis when everyone else is struggling.

Overpriced w@nk it might be, but it sells.

To some degree but if you are paying for quailty materials, cuts etc I would say it is more justified than some cheap sweater that has an apes head on it and sells for £200.

One thing you can't say about Bape is it's a stylish cut, but then can you say that about any street / skate wear? Look at Supreme. I think you're either into that look or you're not. The cut is just classic, uniform street style. The focus is more on the colours and designs.

I'm well into it and couldn't care less if anyone else is or not. Seems to me a lot of people like to hate Bape on here but you don't get many people into Bape slating off other brands or looks.

One thing I do know - I have everything from the high-end couture stuff from Dior Homme and Prada through to street labels like Neighborhood and Bape in my wardrobe, and it's the Bape that gets worn year in year out. And it lasts.

I see it becoming the 'chav' brand of choice over the coming year. Look at all the fake stuff coming up on ebay.

Quote:

One thing you can't say about Bape is it's a stylish cut, but then can you say that about any street / skate wear? Look at Supreme. I think you're either into that look or you're not. The cut is just classic, uniform street style. The focus is more on the colours and designs.

I'm well into it and couldn't care less if anyone else is or not. Seems to me a lot of people like to hate Bape on here but you don't get many people into Bape slating off other brands or looks.

One thing I do know - I have everything from the high-end couture stuff from Dior Homme and Prada through to street labels like Neighborhood and Bape in my wardrobe, and it's the Bape that gets worn year in year out. And it lasts.

--- Original message by Mr G on Nov 8, 2005 05:53 AM

you think bape has a stylish cut? are you kidding? i'll bring out some old washed out bape shit from about 5 years ago and you can tell me that stuff fits well (as well as being subtle without some all over wank warhol rip off print on it). the tees and sweatshirts that come out now fit so badly its laughable. to say bape is high end is crazy, are the collaborations with kaws and carhartt high end? your kidding right? at least supreme work with people that are established like peter saville and john smedley, and visvim with kim jones.

the fact that omarion and good charlotte wear it AND nigo advertises that is perhaps the worst piece of marketing going.

"You brought the fucking Pomeranian bowling?"

"I haven't brought it bowling...I didn't rent it shoes, I'm not buying it a fucking beer, it's not taking a fucking turn..."

Quote: you think bape has a stylish cut? are you kidding? i'll bring out some old washed out bape shit from about 5 years ago and you can tell me that stuff fits well (as well as being subtle without some all over wank warhol rip off print on it). the tees and sweatshirts that come out now fit so badly its laughable. to say bape is high end is crazy, are the collaborations with kaws and carhartt high end? your kidding right? at least supreme work with people that are established like peter saville and john smedley, and visvim with kim jones.

Zeus, you should read the post properly before you go off on one about it.

Where does Nigo advertise?

Original message by Mr G on Nov 8, 2005 05:33 AM

Quote: Talk outside the BWS London store on Saturday was that Usher turned up there, selected a pile of stuff and then expected a discount, which he was refused. Which would be great if it was true, but I've also heard rumours that Ian Brown has turned up to queue and that just can't be true, seeing as he's supposed to be such a close friend of Nigo.

I heard that story about Usher too, but it was last winter and in NYC. Sounds like an urban myth to me.

Edited by arem on Nov 8, 2005 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Quote: you think bape has a stylish cut? are you kidding? i'll bring out some old washed out bape shit from about 5 years ago and you can tell me that stuff fits well (as well as being subtle without some all over wank warhol rip off print on it). the tees and sweatshirts that come out now fit so badly its laughable. to say bape is high end is crazy, are the collaborations with kaws and carhartt high end? your kidding right? at least supreme work with people that are established like peter saville and john smedley, and visvim with kim jones.

Zeus, you should read the post properly before you go off on one about it.

Where does Nigo advertise?

--- Original message by Mr G on Nov 8, 2005 06:53 AM

the catologue for fall 05' has a photoshoot with nerd, good charlotte, omarion etc etc.. check the hypebeast archive to find it. we're talking about omarion here.. have you any idea how crap that guy actually is?

i hate the bape is dead thread as much as you probably do, but from my perspective only because people were having this same discussion about 5 years ago and it was boring then.

"I haven't brought it bowling...I didn't rent it shoes, I'm not buying it a fucking beer, it's not taking a fucking turn..."

I'll take our word for it on Omarion. Don't suppose Nigo has much say over who picks his stuff up, although he doesn't have to put them in his catalogue.

I think the fact people were having the Bape is dead discussion five years ago and it's still strong as ever says it all really. It is a brand after all, and there will always be people following it. Just because someone who thinks they're some kind of tastemaker decides not to wear a brand anymore doesn't make it dead or passe.

All I have to say on the matter really.

Except to those who say Bape is dead - what to you is alive then?

I think Bape is dead because they keep recycling their designs and logos every season. It gets boring when you start noticing the print on the t-shirt you bought 2 years ago is now *updated* in this season's collection mindlessly . They have also changed the cut and quality *I think* and so the stuff has gotten a bit weird.

Other brands maintain their status by evolving and improving. I don't see that in Bape. Nonetheless, people are still buying because it's predictable and easy to carry. (I'm excluding the stupid Bape Stas and whatnot from this statement).

I am not against people wearing head to toe Bape; everyone should have their own say on what to wear; but I laugh at those people and comment on them on a message board like this because, I just cannot see the point anymore. I used to buy Bape, but eventually got disinterested, sold off my T-shirts and Baby Milo collection and moved on to Stella McCartney and Dries van Noten. I guess, in other words, I have grown up, and Bape is something that only makes sense when you are finding your feet in the fashion world.

This is all random.......

Quote: I think Bape is dead because they keep recycling their designs and logos every season. It gets boring when you start noticing the print on the t-shirt you bought 2 years ago is now *updated* in this season's collection mindlessly . They have also changed the cut and quality *I think* and so the stuff has gotten a bit weird.

Other brands maintain their status by evolving and improving. I don't see that in Bape. Nonetheless, people are still buying because it's predictable and easy to carry. (I'm excluding the stupid Bape Stas and whatnot from this statement).

I am not against people wearing head to toe Bape; everyone should have their own say on what to wear; but I laugh at those people and comment on them on a message board like this because, I just cannot see the point anymore. I used to buy Bape, but eventually got disinterested, sold off my T-shirts and Baby Milo collection and moved on to Stella McCartney and Dries van Noten. I guess, in other words, I have grown up, and Bape is something that only makes sense when you are finding your feet in the fashion world.

So what you're saying is you have completely reinvented yourself and therefore everyone who hasn't done the same deserves being laughed at? That's a bit rich if you're walking around in Stella McCartney and Dries van Noten.

Bape isn't fashion. It's not going to change radically from one season to the next, that's the point. You're getting your movements mixed up.

People into couture fashion will never be really into street styles, therefore Bape, and vice versa. It sounds like you thought Bape was 'trendy' at the time and bought into it, when that's not what it's about.

As for finding your feet in the fashion world and growing up, I think you should be taking a bit of that on board yourself and accepting that just because you've moved on from a look or brand doesn't mean the rest of the planet has to follow you.

I'll be honest..

I love the pattent leather shoes, and I love the all-over print hoodies. that's the ONLY thing bape is worth looking at for.

other than that, they can fall off the planet. It's far overpriced, but not as bad as some (I have no problem with 200 dollar jeans, so a 300 dollar sweater isn't TOO big a stretch so long as I take care of it and don't have like 10 of them) but overall i think it's a fun look. I am currently making similar all-over print hoodies for myself and friends from my squareDOT line just because the bape hoodies inspired me to such.

neat stuff, most of which is not that practical, but some fun pieces that can make a loud outfit and a fun wear.

Quote: I think Bape is dead because they keep recycling their designs and logos every season. It gets boring when you start noticing the print on the t-shirt you bought 2 years ago is now *updated* in this season's collection mindlessly . They have also changed the cut and quality *I think* and so the stuff has gotten a bit weird.

So you've completely reinvented yourself so everyone else should do the same or they risk ridicule from you?

How can you once have been into Bape and now be into Stella McCartney and Dries van Noten? Sounds like you only bought Bape because you thought it was trendy and now you don't. You're missing the point.

Bape's styles don't change much from one season to the next because it's not a high-fashion couture label. It doesn't follow trends and neither do the people into it.

It's a street look and that look encompasses a lot of other brands and labels but they all essentially carry the same military inspiration. I like the way Nigo tinkers with staple pieces and just adds the odd new piece. Some people like that.

As for growing up, you should do a bit of that yourself, then maybe you'd realise not everyone looks the same or dresses the same, but they don't deserve citicism because of that.

Then maybe you wouldn't be so much of a victim.

Quote: make small quantities of all garments. price them dearly because they're soo limited. harder to get(price & availability) = more want.

then release almost the exact same thing again a thousand times, and you've made a bundle. people still don't get it.

Talk about stating the obvious. It's no secret how it's done, and that's exactly why people still want the stuff.

If you want mass produced garments to throw away every 12 weeks, go to H&M

ITS A SIMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP REALLY.. HE TAKES WHAT HE WANTS FROM THEM, AND THEY TAKE WHAT THEY WANT FROM HIM..

ITS A SIMPLE MARKETING FORMULA, BUT A LITTLE LUCK AND TIMING ALSO FELL INTO PLACE.

NIGOS WENT FROM SHOWING OFF HIS COOL FRIENDS TO BE COOL, TO SHOWING OFF HIS COOL MONEY TO MAKE NERD MONEY LOOK COOL, TO BEING A NERD AND MAKING IT COOL TO BE COOL TO BE A NERD TO BE CONTINUED..

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER

Edited by Selegna on Nov 9, 2005 at 10:59 AM

Quote:

who gives a shit anyway

--- Original message by Elijah on Nov 9, 2005 11:48 AM

exactly.. the best thing said so far. the fact that people are even saying bape is dead is exactly why the brand is so wank.

and to Mr G - i also love the way your saying "yeah i used to be into it and now i rock stella and dries" WHAT.. honestly, the fact that your saying it on a forum turns it into bullshit. i bet your on the 'today im wearing' thread writing down what your wearing whilst thumbing through i-D.

Quote: and to Mr G - i also love the way your saying "yeah i used to be into it and now i rock stella and dries" WHAT.. honestly, the fact that your saying it on a forum turns it into bullshit. i bet your on the 'today im wearing' thread writing down what your wearing whilst thumbing through i-D.

Jeez Zeuss I wish you'd read these threads properly. It wasn't me who said that.

Bape is all about mass appeal and exlusivity. Nigo wants everyone to know his shit, but he only wants a few people to be able to rock it. That way it says exclusive, yet everyone knows about it so its "popular"

Check out this article.....i didn't read it word for word, but I think its a solid argument.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/bathingape/

^long article

But I agree, some stuff is ridiculous.....I saw this one shirt, it was like white with a square of red camo on it with nothing else, and it was going for $100+......

Depht...