Summer Olympics

KyleFall

This thread is dedicated to discussing the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

My friend's brother and fellow Prince Edward Islander Jared Connaughton is running for Canada this year!!!

beijing-2008-olympics.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the Olympics in China is an absolute disgrace.

The IOC stood by and let China literally bulldoze homes and businesses to make way for the Olympic games.

China's stance on Human Rights, freedom of the press, and other political issues make them an extremely poor choice for Olympic host.

get off your high horse, we are all guilty

I'll leaving for Beijing next wed. Have tix to 2-3 events. Atmosphere should be insane.

As someone who was born and raised in Beijing, I agree that the city getting the games is a complete joke. International politics definitely trumped logic in this case, although I will admit that I don't think any other country in the world was as willing to skirt laws, throw cash, and inconvenience its own citizens as much as China was in order to host the games.

wow. so i'm still of the "fuck these olympics" camp, but you cannot fuck with these opening ceremonies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/08/oiympic-opening-ceremony_n_117710.html

true. the sickest opening i've ever seen. next fucking level, it will be hard to top that. made world cup or other events look like county fair.

I loved it when the Winter Games where in Salt Lake City and the summer were in the ATL back in 1996. You got to see stuff as it happened and never had to wait for the coverage to come over here. This is why I really can't stand the fact that the Olympics are in china, print and internet media is so much faster than visual media. I have offically told myself, no cheating. Than means avoiding reading the sports section for next couple of days.

Also, the coolest picture of the day.

slide_206_9.jpeg

Edit: I didn't know that Ralph Lauren did the Team USA clothing this year.

is anyone actually paying attention to the sports? usa 1, japan 0 - nuf sed

i watched that game. it was pretty shitty that one of japan's only real attacks near the end got shut down and no penalty kick, but USA was pushing the entire match anyway, so they would've won regardless.

i dont know why but i usually only look forward to womens gymnastics during teh olympics and nothing else. so this time im gonna keep in tradition and watch womens gymnastics