knitwear/knitting general talk

linkejeuk

so, I hope this is the right subforum for this, if not feel free to move it.

I know most posters here are guys, so knitting is probably seen as something for older ladies. But I like knitting and knitwear and would like to have a general thread for it!

I grew up with lots of custom knit items, and custom ordered knits from local knitting groups. I always liked the construction, quality and feel of these items, but usefully the cut of them was horrible saggy and baggy. No nice form or shape whatsoever.

These days I still have a weak spot for traditional knitting patterns and motifs, especially fair isle. I also like the south american patterns that appear on alpaca sweaters.

So I guess the more traditional stuff isn't really 'fashion', but I have seen plenty of more innovative knitwear inspired by tradtion on the runways that have lovely details and probably better fits. For instance dries van noten usually has some beautiful knitwear, and I can also realy enyoy the heavy armored like knits in some of raf simons collections, I think the way he does tight cabeled (don't know if this is a word) knitwear is great.

I also have a great appreciation for missoni, don't know if I would wear it though and even some old benetton stuff, haha.

There also seems to be some appearance of mohair sweaters, which is great. If I had the funds I would love to get the marbeled mohair knit, even if it would be the only thing I would get for winter.

Anyway, talk here about the best brands for quality cashmere, your favorite patterns, etc. Anything knitwear related is good. And ofcourse knitting itsealf.

haha, while reading this myself, this comes of maybe quite incoherent, but I think most people get the jest of it.:)

I have so many ideas for stuff to knit for this fall/ winter/spring... its so cold in Quebec that you never have enough warm stuff.

Also, nowadays, either on the Internet or in magazines you can find more fashion-forward knitting pattern, and you can always alter it when you know how to do it...

I do knit myself, bu haven't got further than smaller items like scarves, mittens, hats and stuff like that. It takes a lot of experience to make a nice looking larger item I think. I guess I could try a sweater or cardigan, but then it would be to loose and sloppy. Bigger items really look good when done 'neat'. I would like to make a hooded scarf though. Or a scarf with mittens attached, :D, some hybrid knits hehe.

I wholeheartedly support the idea of this thread - I've been on a recent obsession with traditional knitting techniques and patterns.

I think the some of the J Press fairisle stuff is surprisingly goodlooking:

http://www.jpressonline.com/sale_winter_gear.php

Pendleton sweater:

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/milliondollarbaby/mm74_jpg.JPG=600

and blanket: http://www.natsejeekeh.org/souvenirs/blanket_04.jpg

Also on a somewhat different note, the weaving and knitting of Sheila Hicks has been a recent inspiration:

http://www.sheilahicks.com/Weaving-as-Metaphor.html

i've been thinking of going to a thrift store or benetton to pick up some knits...it'd be great if i could find some native american, south american or african inspired knitted sweaters, scarves, beanies, etcetc...checkered/striped/etc ones are cool too, but i'm gonna find a billion of those that are probably gonna be huge and DIRTY.

• 2 weeks later...

I started working on some fingerless gloves, they will be multi-layered. I've tryed two different "patterns" so far (for the knitted part).

Here's the first one, really light, loosely knitted.

2718324159_9e8b1dc50e.jpg

For the second one, the "attached" part is between the thumb and the second finger. much heavier and tighter too.

I havent taken pics yet.

there will also be leather...

I like making patterns by myself, just trying to find the best way to do things without following any guideline, and it makes you feel so proud if the result is good.

I like the gloves, am curious about how the leather is going to fit in.

I am working on a cashmere mix scarf myself, I am keeping it simple, maybe use one contrasting color at the end.

I have never tried making a pattern myself. I would like it though, so much options:D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...