SuFu Law School?

Eric didn't you get married recently? how is that working out with all the time you log @ work?

I've been teetering on the the thought of lawschool for the longest time. but I'm sooo fucking lazy right now.

yeah, i got married last year. they were actually really cool about me taking a honeymoon, i took a full week off.

for all the hours i bill, my standard work week isn't so crazy w/r/t the time i get home - it's just constant, billing 60+ hours a week. so like 9-9 and a little on weekends. up to 80 or 90 when i'm crazy busy.

my wife's cool about it. she works a standard work week, and i only get home after midnight like once a week unless i'm slammed, so we see each other after work most days. sucks when i have to work on weekends though.

as a point of reference, i've billed at least 2600 hours per year, and i'm on track for that again. this year was kinda odd, b/c of the recession, must people have billed about 1800 or lower. but my sector wasn't impacted as hard, and (at the risk of sounding cocky) i'm fuckin good at what i do, so partners want me on their cases, and i get a lot of work.

so about my "don't do it" comment - maybe that was a little harsh. go to law school if you're the kinda guy that doesn't care about money and ways to do something cool with a law degree (US attorney, peace corp, etc). but unless you know you'll be able to bill the kinda hours i do for years on end without offing yourself, don't go to law school just b/c you want to make money at a firm. whether i'm that kinda guy is yet to be determined, but i haven't burnt out yet, and i like what i do most days. there's just so much of it.

anyway, back to work.

• 1 year later...

Oh yeah this thread...

Just finishing third year at Osgoode in 10 days and I can't wait to be done. Not like I am looking forward to working, I probably won't even make it 3 years in the real world working 14 hour days...I can't say I'm looking forward to that but at least I have this summer off

In terms of making a lot of money, I would skip law because it's a good way to become wealthy I guess but, as eric pointed out, it is also a lot of work. If you like it, then it is probably a good career, but many lawyers I know at my firm that are associates have repeatedly told me it is a 'get rich slow' scheme, and per hour, you don't make much more than say a teacher at the start, so you have to be willing to slug it out for at least 3 or 4 years.