supermeatheads

kunk75

320 for 12? Nice job.

It looks like you're almost using DL to cool down. Separating (or alternating) the days and cutting out the other lift could help increases.

Since those rows are more of a back exercise, they could fit better on the day you deadlift. It looks like your arms/shoulders day could be combined w/ the chest day. Instead of having 4 total days, you could get some good work done in 3. Rest is still really important.

It's great that you love running, and I'm not saying to stop distance running altogether, but I suggest you mix in some shorter runs. Instead of 5k of running straight, why not try repeat 800s w/ a 2 min break in between?

ahhh I didn't know you were counting warm up sets. 320 for 12 is really good. I agree with Leeacto, you'll definitely see more gains if you split deadlifts and squats into 2 separate days.

Pulled 345 for 3 sets of 5 reps today, +10 lb rep PR from last week. Also gained a bit of weight since I changed up my routine. Sitting at 155 now and feeling stronger than before. Can't wait to get that 4 plate pull...

where do i go after 5x5? i'm not sure i can continue squatting 3x a week 5x5. that or i'm just being a giant wimp.

probably the latter, but seriously (0) what to do after becoming fridge?

yeah. 3 5x5s is probably only best for when you're JUST starting lifting (like first 8 months when your muscles can take anything).

I'd say to first off stop squatting 3x a week in general. 5x5 is good but if your muscles are getting used to that load, go after 4x4 if you want to increase the load

That's what I figured. I'm still working through the 5x5, and will probably stay on it until I break 300 for deadlift/squat again (6 mos off injury), but trying to figure out how to keep myself able to maximize reps / minimize injuries.

Here's my current workout:

5x5 Squat

3x5 Deadlift

5x5 Bench Press

2x8 Dips

Workout B

5x5 Squat

5x5 Standing military press

5x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)

ab work and junk

I'm pretty much doing this and eating everything in sight. Any recommendations/modifications?

what injury are you recovering from?

on squatting and deadlifting on the same day: i know i wouldn't be able to do both on the same day at the working sets i'm doing now. do you ever feel like you could've pulled more weight if you didn't squat beforehand? i'm absolutely gassed out after each set of pulls and i rest for ~5 minutes until the next. my legs are wrecked for a few days afterwards (sumo stance~).

i think 3x5 squats once a week is sufficient, especially if you're bumping the weight up +10 lbs a week. same deal for bench and mil press, but +5 bumps per week. as for deadlifts, 1-3x5 sets is not a bad idea. when it starts getting real heavy, 2 sets or even just 1 set is fine. i might start cutting back a set myself, depending on how i feel after tomorrow's deadlift day.

just to be clear, i'm not including warm up sets in those #'s. i do hella lot of warming up now.

alrite. i need some advice/help. ive read websites like hundredpushups.com and twohundredsitups.com and i dont have the time to do those programs. actually pushups arent really a problem. but i need to be able to do 75-80 situps in 2 minutes by 2-3 weeks from now. the most ive done so far is 53.

to be more clear, im applying to the us army ocs program, and i told my recruiter that since i go to the gym regularly, that i should be able to score damn good marks on the army physical fitness test and that id be ready for the march ocs boards. boy was i wrong.

http://student.ttuhsc.edu/MMSA/army_su_hints.htm this is what an army situp looks like. and my one of problems other than not being able to do 80 is that its damn near impossible for me to rest in the resting position "up" position.

ne tips or advice?

edit: i normally do 110 sit ups a day. sets of 40, 30, 20, 20

• 2 weeks later...
yeah. 3 5x5s is probably only best for when you're JUST starting lifting (like first 8 months when your muscles can take anything).

I'd say to first off stop squatting 3x a week in general. 5x5 is good but if your muscles are getting used to that load, go after 4x4 if you want to increase the load

crossfit's been my bible for the past 2 years, but I've recently joined a rugby team and have been on their routine which is much more traditional.

crossfit's been my bible for the past 2 years, but I've recently joined a rugby team and have been on their routine which is much more traditional.

I've never played rugby. It looks cool. I imagine the intensity of CF would transfer well, no?

anybody know any good workouts to rehab a dislocated shoulder? i'm doing that resistance band thing where you tie it to a rope and pull but i'm looking for some other workouts to do

thanks

Try PVC pipe movements? Just like Overhead presses and whatnot I'm guessing.

alrite. i need some advice/help. ive read websites like hundredpushups.com and twohundredsitups.com and i dont have the time to do those programs. actually pushups arent really a problem. but i need to be able to do 75-80 situps in 2 minutes by 2-3 weeks from now. the most ive done so far is 53.

to be more clear, im applying to the us army ocs program, and i told my recruiter that since i go to the gym regularly, that i should be able to score damn good marks on the army physical fitness test and that id be ready for the march ocs boards. boy was i wrong.

http://student.ttuhsc.edu/MMSA/army_su_hints.htm this is what an army situp looks like. and my one of problems other than not being able to do 80 is that its damn near impossible for me to rest in the resting position "up" position.

ne tips or advice?

edit: i normally do 110 sit ups a day. sets of 40, 30, 20, 20

I feel you. When prepping for apft's i thought I workout alot, lift heavy, and swim everyday, i should own this. I lol at myself now. Then only real way to do more is to do more.

With situps, you should be doing alot more.30 sit ups, 1min flutter kicks, 1 min of plank everything x5. Its alot easier improving your situp this way. Thats how i went from 60 to 110 situps for my apft. A tip ; fall back as fast as possible. This way your reducing the opposing force of a controlled fall (this means your not using your abs as much for the lowering phase but just throwing yourself down. Practicing that alone you will get 15-20 situps more).

With push-ups you should try them wideout because thats when the plane is most ambiguous and they will count it going past parallel alot more than with a close stance (push ups), however with a close and tucked push up stance you can bounce a lot easier. Practice different stances and remember you can move your hands during the test just not lift them. As for sets; do as many as you can then stop, then do it 5x.

Running, just do sprints.

I've never played rugby. It looks cool. I imagine the intensity of CF would transfer well, no?

Crossfit is using weight training as GPP. IMO if you have alot of free time or have alot of time to train, there are better ways to train than using crossfit (weight session [power/strength] and conditioning [stamina]). However most people dont have the time or dedication, so crossfit fits the bill as good as any program trying to juggle multiple aspects of fitness. Just saying though, a real workout routine contains more than just lifting weights. Esp when you start lifting heavier.

So I recently started going to the gym at 5:00 AM a few days a week. I've found it really difficult to get my energy levels up at this early hour, which I guess can be expected. A longer warm-up routine seems to help, but I think I need to alter my eating habits a little.

Can anyone suggest a quick and short meal I can eat directly before a workout that will help fill my stomach and give me a little more energy?

I'm thinking of something that won't make me want to vomit after 5 minutes on the treadmill. Maybe a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a granola bar?

banana

also, at 5am, it's more important what you eat the night/day before.

I used to eat a ton of vegetables, chicken, and rice for dinner. The rice made me tired in the morning. I cut that out and feel a lot better now.

FYI I'm usually in the gym between 545 and 6. Also, make sure you get some sleep.

bananas help setback muscle soreness due to their potassium content. Helps with the sexing after those heavy pulls yadada.

The problem with morning workouts is you wanna get food and energy in you but you dont have that time gap afterwards, because of time constraints. When I was swimming on the National team we would carb spike the day before a swim meet, helped with having that energy right away in the morning at hand but eating like this on the daily will increase the chubs a bit.