supermeatheads

kunk75

Planks are good as an initial core exercise. Just make sure your back is flat, no sagging of the hips allowed. Try planks raising one arm for 15 seconds, then the other arm, and so on for 2 minutes. Do it without twisting your body or changing your form at all to compensate for the lost point of contact.

What are some other good core exercises I can do with just a mat? The gym at my school has none of those balls or anything useful.

What are some other good core exercises I can do with just a mat? The gym at my school has none of those balls or anything useful.

Leg lifts, dead bug legs (look them up along with core performance) bicycles, V-ups, swim kicks, glute bridges...

anyone have tendinitis or tennis elbow or whats it feel like? my left elbow has been bothering me on and off for a while (about a month), especially when i put weight on it (lean on it) or try and do any kind of pull up....trying to figure out if i just need a brace/sleeve for a while or if i need to go see a doc

Upright rows, I'm reading mixed reviews as to whether they're a good thing or not. I'm not using a MASSIVE amount of weight (like 25kg or so for higher reps) but I've read they can f up your shoulders.

Opinions?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_ii

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_iii

anyone have tendinitis or tennis elbow or whats it feel like? my left elbow has been bothering me on and off for a while (about a month), especially when i put weight on it (lean on it) or try and do any kind of pull up....trying to figure out if i just need a brace/sleeve for a while or if i need to go see a doc

I've had tendinitis in (I think) both my elbows since the summer. Comes and goes. Starting to get worse for me right now...

Not much you can do besides getting some sleeves, ice, ibuprofen. Make sure you warm them up well. Get BlueHeat from EliteFTS.

thanks for the suggestions

another question...any of you use hand straps when doing dead lifts or other exercises that rely on grip? never, only when going heavy or always.....

i've arguements had where people have said if you cant lift it with out "help" you shouldnt do it.....

my view is, you arent doing dead lifts strictly for your grip so if you need to use grips to go heavier, use them, but if you can lift the weight without grips dont use them

seems pretty common sense to me but what do i know.....

another question...any of you use hand straps when doing dead lifts or other exercises that rely on grip? never, only when going heavy or always.....

i've arguements had where people have said if you cant lift it with out "help" you shouldnt do it.....

my view is, you arent doing dead lifts strictly for your grip so if you need to use grips to go heavier, use them, but if you can lift the weight without grips dont use them

the only time I use hand straps are for rowing type of exercises and shrugs..

I never use them for deadlifts, heavy nor light.. only chalk

i use wrist wraps that only go around your wrists and not the bar. I have tiny asian hands so my grip kind of sucks w/o it. They're pretty cheap so if you want to get serious, why not try it out?

I always feel like I am cheating when using straps. Plus just using the alternate grip will promote forearm growth.

i think its time for a mr. sufu supermeathead olympia pose down!!!

yes super GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. i dont think i hve ever been to a gym that has chalk....u bring your own i'm guessing.....

yep, I bring my own.. that reminds me that I need to go buy more because I just ran out

Yet another question on my 9 year-old girl chest.

I've read that when doing chest exercises, you can often compensate with your arms and shoulders, and not really focus the weight on your chest muscles specifically. Is there any way to avoid this? I find after doing chest work, my arms hurt the next day, but not so much my chest. Will this change once I actually start developing more muscle?

I am confus-ed. :confused:

ps - doing 3 chest exercises mainly - flat presses, inclined, declined, etc. I work on my chest twice a week, Tuesdays & Fridays. One day I use a straight barbell, the other I use dumbless.

I've read that when doing chest exercises, you can often compensate with your arms and shoulders, and not really focus the weight on your chest muscles specifically. Is there any way to avoid this? I find after doing chest work, my arms hurt the next day, but not so much my chest. Will this change once I actually start developing more muscle?

ps - doing 3 chest exercises mainly - flat presses, inclined, declined, etc. I work on my chest twice a week, Tuesdays & Fridays. One day I use a straight barbell, the other I use dumbless.

You are going to be working your triceps and shoulders when do bench presses. I personally would concentrate on flat/incline bench pressing and compound lifts because they will promote the most growth. Decline from what I understand only really works about 5% of your chest. Start light and work on form. Also look into a 5x5 routine which will help increase strength. Make sure you work out your arms and shoulders separately as well. Oh yea, EAT. Hope this helps.

You are going to be working your triceps and shoulders when do bench presses. I personally would concentrate on flat/incline bench pressing and compound lifts because they will promote the most growth. Decline from what I understand only really works about 5% of your chest. Start light and work on form. Also look into a 5x5 routine which will help increase strength. Make sure you work out your arms and shoulders separately as well. Oh yea, EAT. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I've been eating as much as I can, but I should probably be eating more. I'm just not a big eater. :(

Neither am I. I actually went on the C.H.A. diet by Scivation which essentially eliminates all direct sources of carbohydrates except from green vegetables. After the first week of feeling weak (no carbs) my lifts skyrocketed and although the scale stayed the same, I could tell I was losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. Scivation knows what they are doing and have some great e-books for free. http://www.scivationbooks.com/ And no I do not work for them!

I wear straps when doing dead lifts. As dunkin said before, I don't do dead lifts primarily for my grip. I can only hold so much and I would plateau rather easily if I didn't use straps. I don't think in anyway its cheating. Same as with a spotter and bench pressing.

[sarcasm] so if a spotter has his hands on the bars to help you a little bit off your chest while you're benching.. that's not considered cheating? [/sarcasm]

I cant believe you really negged me for that. No it's not cheating, it is helping you progress. If you can lift more weight using straps which will benefit your back and legs, the purpose of a dead lift, then why not?

yes, it IS cheating. and who said anything about progress? of course it'll help you progress since it allows you to overload your back. and when did I ever say it was wrong to use them? I just said it's cheating. and I'm sorry you're so serious and butt-hurt over the fact that I negged you.

Upright rows, I'm reading mixed reviews as to whether they're a good thing or not. I'm not using a MASSIVE amount of weight (like 25kg or so for higher reps) but I've read they can f up your shoulders.

Opinions?

They're okay as long as you don't bring your humerus above parallel with your shoulders. That's how you can impinge your biceps in your shoulder and it's very, very bad.

It just means your arms are being stressed more. Are your arms especially weak? Use strict technique, and soon enough it should level off and you'll be able to focus on the chest. So yes, it should change, but if it doesn't after a month or so then something is wrong with your workout.