Iphone 2nd Gen. $199...

Guest umhaha84

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only surprising thing about the $199 that has occurred to me is that they're guaranteeing that it will sell for no more than US$199 worldwide, and they're bringing it to some markets where phones have not been subsidized.

Those of us who live in places where phones aren't subsidized by carriers/gov't will probably end up seeing iPhones take over the entire country. 9 months ago I had to pay about $600 for a RAZR2 in Korea, a normal price, every phone is sold full-price over there. The cheapest brand-new phone one can buy in Korea is probably like $200, they came out with a 2007 version of the StarTac over there that was just a phone, no camera or anything, and most phones hover around $500 when new, so this is a big deal if simply for the price. Apple has barely any computer sales in Korea, they were up until a couple years ago, about 200% marked up, and nowadays they're still only for designers and eccentrics, because the Mac OS has never supported the Korean language very well. A $199 iPhone is going to turn the market on its ear.

can i buy one in America and then activate it in the UK without having to jump through hoops, no jailbreaking, etc? I'm talking about a perfectly legit activation with O2, I just want the phone for $200.

sounds like they're coming to UK the same time they're coming all over the place:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/

oh, but i guess you were trying to get them cheaper.

can i buy one in America and then activate it in the UK without having to jump through hoops, no jailbreaking, etc? I'm talking about a perfectly legit activation with O2, I just want the phone for $200.

They'll probably be selling this in the UK for what is $199, so somebody will probably have it for 99 pounds. I've heard it might sell for 99 Euro over there...

Guest umhaha84
don't forget these prices are only with a new 2 year contract with at&t....

they gonna do same approach as last iphone nothing new,,$199 at the apple and att store and, unlock it if you want to unlocking tool will be out within 2 weeks of iphone release

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/08/more-mysterious-boxes-arrive-at-apple-stores/

"We've also heard that Germany's T-Mobile has already received subsidized rate plans for the iPhone coming in at a subsidized 99, 199 and 299 euros. These are prices for hardware with a 2 year contract, but may only represent two distinct models, as the amount of subsidy depends on what rate plan is chosen. For comparison, T-Mobile Germany currently offers 4 prices (99, 149, 199, 249 euros) for the 8GB iPhone alone depending on the rate plan chosen. Meanwhile, the current 16GB iPhone (499 euro) has not been eligible for any discounts regardless of rate plan.

Finally, news is coming out of Spain that the new iPhone will be sold there starting at 99 euros by Corriere.it. "

Steve omitted the subsidized plan/retail for a reason: they are going for marketshare and will recoup the manufacturing/advertising/etc. costs with their percentage of the phone plans with AT&T.

They're probably aiming for something like 12M+ iPhones by 2009 or some crazy shit like that…

do these phones have sim locks?

cause im in the japland but would like to use the phone in the us

It will but I'm betting it will be cracked soon after it is released…or once the firmware is floatin‘ around.

the phone is cheaper, but you still have to pay an extra 30 bux for the internet plan

im rockin my treo with 30 bux for voice and data

peasant status

I'm sure there's some lock on it since Apple wants a cut of every contract agreement iPhone users pay for with their service provider. So, if it's not being offered in a particular country I suppose you'll need to jailbreak it.

Steve omitted the subsidized plan/retail for a reason: they are going for marketshare and will recoup the manufacturing/advertising/etc. costs with their percentage of the phone plans with AT&T.

They're probably aiming for something like 12M+ iPhones by 2009 or some crazy shit like that…

what are the phone plans like at the moment?

i guess the new cheaper iphone is with an insane phone plan of like 50 euros a month? i never bothered looking up how iphone worked cuz i always thought the priuce was stupid for what it was, but for 99 euros it's a whole different story.

In the U.S. it's something like $39.99 for the bare minimum plan, and $20/mo. on top of that for unlimited data…but YMMV depending on your country‘s data plans, etc.