Bowties

Servo2000

Bowties are becoming more and more apparent on the runway and off and have been for several seasons now. I'd say they're reaching critical mass at this point.

So whose doing a decent one? Frankly, I still don't know how to tie one so I've been wearing a funny little black pre-tied one. The Band of Outsiders clip-ons look awfully nice as they're smaller than your average one, but again, they're clip-ons. Does the unspoken "no clip-ons" still apply when they're so damn impeccable?

22938734km0.jpg78995909vc4.jpg

I'm still on hunt for a reasonable priced and reasonably sized one in black wool. I'd probably learn how to actually tie one of the things if I could find it.

What's good, Superfuture?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it done well, especially by younger men. My friend just goes trawling through vintage and thrift places and finds some rather nice pieces. I'm not a bowtie man, myself, but from what I can tell, the difference between clip-on and real bowtie is pretty apparent in real life. I'd say if you're going for it, go for it all the way.

Ralph Lauren has a few and so does Club Monaco.

if you have any sort of sewing skill i suggest creating a pattern and just making your own. take those old shirts and shorts you don't like, buy some interfacing and sew away.

and sewing a bow tie is as simple as tying a shoe lace. use two loops and you got it

and club monaco is overpriced.

maccytresdecinco is the fucking righteousness.

cheap bowties thanks. its bowties. unless this bowtie is seriousnextlevelled,

then a regular old plain bowtie works JUST AS WELL, IF NOT BETTER THAN

THE BEST.

word to your mothers' whores.

I wish more boys would wear bowties, they're really cute.

no clips ons. fuck no.

if you want a well made bow tie for a decent price, brooks brothers sells black silk ones from their formal line. i think they're $40, and aren't the slightest bit junky. they come in the narrow style that servo posted, and the more common butterfly style. there's a great video on youtube that shows you how to tie one; i tried learning off those little instruction sheets you can sometimes find at tux rental shops and i've never come close. after seeing the video and practicing a few times, i can do that shit up faster than a necktie.

this my nigga right here

VJv4Qh7zR3E

I saw the Geller ones and the BoO ones at Odin on Lafayette last time I was in NYC. Though maybe it was only the BoO one. The bowties were gorgeous.

i know what you mean and it probably will look obviously clipon, but i think that's part of it...i'm not saying i'm wearing a clipon bowtie to a blacktie event, but if you're just wearing it for the hell of it, the playful element(of wearing a bowtie in the first place in 2008) isn't a bad thing.

wait...i said playful and like me you're saying shit aint serious...uh, what?

that's my fucking point shit really aint serious, but YO YOU RIGHT TAKE FASHIUN MAD SERIOUSLY SON THIS SHIT IS SERIOUS. SERIOUS.

DO NOT TAKE ANY MISSTEPS.

k rock them clip ons all you want. you'll look dumb, not playful. Have I said anything about a freestyle bow tie being SERIOUS BUSINESS OMG DONT MISSTEP? Didn't think so.

ftb2, go stfu and ban yourself again. kthx. Ain't nothing elitist about it.

Gotta ask, how many feel clip on straight ties are cool? *crickets*