Current US 501 stf VS Various LVC models?

mikejungle

I'm sorry if I this is an unwanted thread, but I've searched this forum through and through and I haven't found too much information that compares the current 501 to the various years that LVC offers...it'd really help.

I purchased the modern 501 stf in 33x36 to experiment with shrinking. I'm fairly satisfied with the result.

I've gathered so far that the 1947 is slimmer, but by how much? How much smaller is the measurement at the cuff? At the thigh?

Is the 1955 pretty similar?

Thanks

hey, thanks...but i've already seen that thread. It was very helpful in educating me about the different LVC models, but there's no mention of how they compare to the fit of the regular 501's...and that's what I want to know.

I know that the denim is better, and I'd assume that quality is too. But my question is about fit! And no one's answered me in the stickied thread up there as to which jean is the exact same as the current 501.

I think the current 501 STF fit is just fine, but then I'm one of those people who likes to run and jump and climb on things and sit on the ground without my testicles getting squashed.

So if that sounds like you, give them a try. You could do worse things with thirty bucks.

501 stf are really baggy even after shrinking. someone in the definitive 501 thread got one size smaller in the waist than his actual size, i think, then stretched out the waist while they dried. they fit nicely through the hip and leg with this treatment. i'm going to do the same thing as soon as i can find a 27x32 (at this range, the inseam will shrink two inches, not three. you might have to get one an inch shorter.).

I am only guessing here as I don't have the current STF 501; this is what I was told by the guy who redesigned the current model.

The new 501 fit is generally a more modern cut than any LVC: it is based on the 1947 501 but is a little more shaped; lower rise waist, which is slightly tilted, front lower than the back. The seat is "more antifit" than the 90s version, but is still pretty fitted, more so than the 47 or 55. The thighs are wider than the equivalent 1947. Overall, the current 501 isn't particularly close to any LVC versions, altho it's probably closest to the 47 - however, the 1947 cut just looks more quirky and vintage. STF fabric does definitely stretch more. Although the STF 501 make a good experiment, I personally think you'd be better off with a pair of selvage Uniqlo.

Edit: the 55 is a great cut, but is probably less like the modern STF than the 47, in that it is higher rise, with a more antifit bum, and wider legs. Wear it small and that cancels some of the difference, bar the higher rise.

Cripes, a more useless set of replies you could not possibly find: so much babble and not a single decent reply. Even though I agree that this should be in the small questions thread, here's the question: which lvc (37, 33, 55, 44, 47, etc) fits most like the stf?

I'd also like to know this. It sure as hell isn't the 47.

edit: Paul, I tried on both (stf and 47) and I guess I have to concur with your friend that the thighs are obviously different. Unfortunately I have never had the chance to try on anything else. I'd love to sample the entire range in person, but lvc in anything other than the 47 come off as so elusive.

Cripes, a more useless set of replies you could not possibly find: so much babble and not a single decent reply. Even though I agree that this should be in the small questions thread, here's the question: which lvc (37, 33, 55, 44, 47, etc) fits most like the stf?

I'd also like to know this. It sure as hell isn't the 47.

edit: Paul, I tried on both (stf and 47) and I guess I have to concur with your friend that the thighs are obviously different. Unfortunately I have never had the chance to try on anything else. I'd love to sample the entire range in person, but lvc in anything other than the 47 come off as so elusive.

Er, and how are you contributing? Apart from your helpfully specific remark that 'the thighs are obviously different'.

Er, and how are you contributing? Apart from your helpfully specific remark that 'the thighs are obviously different'.

That would be it. To rule out or reconsider the '47. That's what I take him to be looking for. If I'd tried on the entire range I could pinpoint the exact model, but I haven't so I can't.

OP, this question would be perfect for Aero clothing. Ask them which lvc fits closest to the stf and they can tell you immediately.

edit: and if you find out, be sure to tell me.

try on both fucking jeans and decide for yourself. cheap 501s and the lvc ones.

If I could try on LVC's I already would have. And even if I had, how would I know what it looksl like after shrinking? Thanks for the worthless reply.

PaulT, thanks for the awesome reply. Now it's just a matter of trying to weigh out the pros and cons. What does "modern fit" mean? Does that mean it's tighter? Or looser? Or straighter?

Do you think if I sized up a little on the 1947, i'd be pretty happy? Like i said...I've got muscular thighs so I don't want it tight on the thighs, and I don't want the jeans to hug my butt either. I've seen some pre-soak and post-soak pictures of the 47 and it looks great pre-soak, but on some, it looks like it's a little tight around the thighs and buttocks.

thanks again

Thighs are slimmer on the 47, depending on how you size it (which is, and was, a thread in itself). But, sized up one, they shouldn't be excessively thin, and you could always cold-wash if you want to minimise this.

By a 'modern' cut I mean primarily that the standard 501 is a lower rise - plus, as mentioned, the waist is slightly tilted. Overall, the 47 is the most similar - but it's still a very different beast.