What are you listening at right now

PeterJ

ChrisSchlarb.jpg

"ABOUT

Four years ago I was a sleeping ghost in an empty home. After quitting my job as an insurance adjuster I found myself working through a devastating separation which soon ended in divorce. Aimless and unemployed, I lost all structure and contact with the world outside.

Weeks passed into months until a massive rainstorm birthed a curious idea. I set up a few microphones and began to record the din of street and rain for the next forty minutes. Later as I listened back, I thought about creating a composition that had no obvious center, instead it would be assembled out of order and without self-reference. Full of faith and newfound energy, I would ask dozens of artists (many were strangers at the time) to contribute to a piece of music they had not heard and that I, myself, had not yet composed.

Four years and fifty collaborators later, Twilight & Ghost Stories seems an odd choice for my first “solo” album. There are hundreds of moments taken from their chronology in time and set alongside each other anew and I have acted only as the conductor of a giant, magnificent orchestra. To that orchestra, in some small way, I owe my life.

Chris Schlarb"

Keeping with the minimalist vibe^

wtpx.jpg

^So. Fucking. Epic.

"Young considers The Well Tuned Piano — a permutating composition of themes and improvisations for just-intuned solo piano — to be his masterpiece. Performances have exceeded six hours in length, and so far have been documented twice: first on a five-CD set issued by Gramavision, then a later performance on a DVD on Young's own Just Dreams label. One of the defining works of American musical minimalism, it is strongly influenced by mathematical composition as well as Hindustani classical music practice."