why's this site dominated by males?

baldy

...and i do apologize for being rash about logos plastered. i guess i hoped people on this site agreed with me on the anti logo. maybe some people on here still wear old navy and volcom.

but i have started threads where the consensus was no logos.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

hey guys. i wasnt being generic. i was serious when i said you are barking up the wrong tree saying it is black and white...men and women.

my background is marketing. people are brand loyal. men arent more brand loyal and neither are women. hispanics arent more than african americans.

yes. different groups may be more brand loyal to different brands but enough with these all encompassing statements.

think about brand loyalty and fit of clothing. brand loyalty and status. brand loyalty and geographic location.

**the brands we discuss on this site and the topics in general are more suited to men...holy shit: i am super surprised more dudes are on this site.

also-maybe as i said before-a lot of guys on here may not be very confident and may be looking more for advice and guidance.

--- Original message by ok on Oct 4, 2005 02:45 PM

Mea culpa. Of course my generalization is inaccurate. I tried to qualify my statement, but probably did not do so sufficiently. My remark was in response to the Wild Whiskey's remark about logos and brand loyalty.

Seeing that there is a marketer reading this crap, I'll revise my statement to include lots of "assuming all factors being equal" and "these factors notwithstandings" when I can get my lazy ass long enough to edit my previous post.

LA Guy - not a marketing guy, just a guy who did some statistical analysis for some marketing guys, once.

Quote:
Quote:

It's kinda hard to say either way. Haven't you seen those girls who wear ONLY aeropostle? Like every fucking thing they own?

Also, getting together and going shopping isn't the best method of acquiring goods. A lot of times you won't run into something really great, because chances are only a couple of stores even have it.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Oct 4, 2005 02:27 PM

Whiskey,

Well, general marketing studies are based on statistically significant sampling of (hopefully) unskewed populations. There are obviously exceptions within any population, and it is easy to conceive that there are even subpopulations that are composed entirely of such exceptions.

--- Original message by LA Guy on Oct 4, 2005 02:34 PM

Ah man it's Stats class all over again!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's kinda hard to say either way. Haven't you seen those girls who wear ONLY aeropostle? Like every fucking thing they own?

Also, getting together and going shopping isn't the best method of acquiring goods. A lot of times you won't run into something really great, because chances are only a couple of stores even have it.

Whiskey,

Well, general marketing studies are based on statistically significant sampling of (hopefully) unskewed populations. There are obviously exceptions within any population, and it is easy to conceive that there are even subpopulations that are composed entirely of such exceptions.

--- Original message by super on Oct 4, 2005 03:23 PM

And weren't they fun, fun, fun for all! Quick, calculate the r squared!

Quote: About marketing studies however, you just happen to be wrong, your anecdotal evidence notwithstanding. I can give actual references; but I think that would be overkill seeing that you pulled your "market research" directly out of your bunghole.

Go for it. Direct links to reasonably reputable sites that don't require registration will do nicely (I'm not inclined to dig through industry journals and blog entries in an attempt to prove your point). I'm betting that you'll quickly discover that the only occasions on which men express greater brand loyalty than women are in segments where the marketing is disproportionately aimed at men or to brand clusters rather than specific brands. The differences are rarely that great (maybe 75% of men vs 80% of women), but women are almost always found to be more likely to continue buying / return to buying a trusted brand.

Quote:
Quote: About marketing studies however, you just happen to be wrong, your anecdotal evidence notwithstanding. I can give actual references; but I think that would be overkill seeing that you pulled your "market research" directly out of your bunghole.

Go for it. Direct links to reasonably reputable sites that don't require registration will do nicely (I'm not inclined to dig through industry journals and blog entries in an attempt to prove your point). I'm betting that you'll quickly discover that the only occasions on which men express greater brand loyalty than women are in segments where the marketing is disproportionately aimed at men or to brand clusters rather than specific brands. The differences are rarely that great (maybe 75% of men vs 80% of women), but women are almost always found to be more likely to continue buying / return to buying a trusted brand.

--- Original message by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 4, 2005 03:41 PM

It takes time to do this, I'm sure you know, and I have real research to do. So, since you insulted me first, I think that you should go first. C'mon, it'll be fun. No, the differences will not be huge, since there are plenty of confounding factors, as someone said above, but you'll find them there.

You also know that your stating that men express greater brand loyalty only "in segments where the marketing is disproportionately aimed at men or to brand clusters rather than specific brands" is hamstringing me before I start anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whiskey,

--- Original message by super on Oct 4, 2005 03:23 PM

And weren't they fun, fun, fun for all! Quick, calculate the r squared!

--- Original message by LA Guy on Oct 4, 2005 03:40 PM

No! I can't calculate the r^2 without the SSResid and the SSto! Ahh insufficient samples to run a z test run a 2 samp t test instead!

Ok enough stats hahah

maybe this site is dominated by dudes because we find it necessary to beat a topic like this to death and bring statistics and marketing into it.

im guilty too.

maybe i will try to find a girl dominated site where girls talk about their surprising but enjoyable lesbian experiences.