Sawtooth shirts - denim

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a repro style sawtooth denim shirt. Good quality of course.

At 6-5, I got long arms so I think that rules out Japanese brands (??)

An LVC one would be great, but even those seem a bit teensy-weensy on the lengths.

Any brand suggestions appreciated. cheers

P.S. Sawtooth shirt means jagged pocket flap.

Have you seen the Lee/Edwin ones? I don';t know about arm length, but they look great.

And of course the Wrangler 27MW is the absolute classic, although it has slanted rather than sawtooth pocket flaps. lovely dark greenish fabric, and the arm length looks pretty good, with really long cuffs. IT's available in XL, 44 inch chest. According to Cultizm arm length is 26 inches.

WShirtC.jpg

pic courtesy www.aeroleatherclothing.com

That sounds better

It is a very cool item. In fact, a mate was telling me yesterday about an acquaintance who only wears this shirt, 1955 Levi's, and a pair of engineer boots as sported by Steve MQueen in his shoot with William Claxton. That's it for him, he needs nothing else.

http://www.williamclaxton.com/movie.html

I must admit to walking down the street once in this shirt and being accosted by a lager-swilling, middle aged woman with the words "hello, cowboy!" I think it was a compliment.

I must admit to walking down the street once in this shirt and being accosted by a lager-swilling, middle aged woman with the words "hello, cowboy!" I think it was a compliment.

lol, sounds like you might have been in for a wild ride there...

I assume the shirt is a 'Euro' version? (i.e.. Polish, Czech, or Turkish made?)

lol, sounds like you might have been in for a wild ride there...

I assume the shirt is a 'Euro' version? (i.e.. Polish, Czech, or Turkish made?)

Yup, to the latter at least. I think they're made in Poland, with fabric from Orta Mills in Turkey. Mine's not faded at all so far, it's still quite crisp looking .

I must admit, now you've mentioned the book, that this shirt was the one item I shamelessly phoned up and blagged, blahing on about how iconic that cover made it look. So it would be cool if they sold at least one shirt inspired by that photo, and saved me from being a liar.

Emmit: Claxton is a wonderful guy, that pic is so relevant to this thread I'm sure he wouldn't mind the copyright infringement, as long as you delete it in a couple of days. Nice Everly Brothers Gibson too... and I bet he's wearing actual size on those 501s...

Edit: you might want to check out the Bluebell microsite, too:

http://www.wrangler-bluebell.com/

Have you seen the Lee/Edwin ones? I don';t know about arm length, but they look great.

And of course the Wrangler 27MW is the absolute classic, although it has slanted rather than sawtooth pocket flaps. lovely dark greenish fabric, and the arm length looks pretty good, with really long cuffs. IT's available in XL, 44 inch chest. According to Cultizm arm length is 26 inches.

WShirtC.jpg

I have this shirt. It's of great quality, fit and style but don't expect any fading, me and HJJ have a rising suspicion that they mixed some black in it. I love Wranglers Blue Bell repro stuff but the denim isn't very exciting.

Mmm, wish I had pix of the LVC repros.

Do check out originals, they are so common you can often pick them up for peanuts, specially the non-denim ones. Last time I was in LA I bought three for $25, including a couple of Wranglers, from the 60s I reckon, from a store on Beverly and Laurel. IN fact, I just checked and you can find a pic, if you click on 'street view' here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=8018%20Beverly%20Blvd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

i ve been lusting after the green and purple ones for a while, but i havent seen any in a large, that are not sold out.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/beatstyle/818873/916293/

this one is not very good but it is sawtooth.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/threelove/1014944/1016826/1016875/

[edit]

actually i just re-read your criteria, i thought that this was just going to be a general discussion of sawtooths, not just looking for a shirt for you.

• 1 year later...

WShirtC.jpg

Just scored a couple of the 27mw off ebay - been looking for them a while. Will post pics soon.