Was diesel coool 10 years ago.

Guest freedomfighter

In my opinion, yes. I used to go to the 59th St. store when I was a teen (about 10 years ago) and I really like what they were doing. When the store in the Village opened up, it seemed like it was trying to be Prada or some shit in its design of the store, with less focus on the clothes. Some of their non-denim items are still tolerable, but I think they've fallen off of the relevant map.

10 years ago it was pretty much all about helmut lang though diesel had a decent rep. i don't think anyone anticipated that paying 200+ for a pair of jeans would become a no brainer for anyone old enough for sex ed even 5 years down the road so any decline in diesel's market share is more to do with increased competition and failure to develop a compelling high end offering to compete with the sevens/pdc of the world.

Yeah, Diesel used to have pretty edgy markeding, etc.

I ripped this old Diesel ad out of some shitty chick magazine my sister had.. The issue was from the late 90's, & it was really fucked up. Lots of bright colours & models that looked like they were trippin' on LSD.

Loved that shit.

I used to like the ads... those ones from the 90s with the hairspray were funny... That's about as close as I ever got to Diesel.

Diesel used to be a very edgy and cutting edge label. And combined with Rogan, single handledly started the whole premium denim market for the masses. The owner, Renzo Rosso used to work under Adriano Goldschmied of AG Jeans. You can thank Helmut Lang, and to a larger extent Calvin Klein for the impetus. Say before 2002-2003, almost all the clothing was made in Italy; particularly their jeans, which was their hallmark. Great washes and cuts with unique details few other labels did aside from urban labels like Ecko (before they became mass). In my opinion, their Diesel Style Lab collection was the pinnacle of their creative legacy. Unfortunately, it didn't sell well and was canned. I think the tipping point was when Diesel became started opening accounts with larger retailers like Urban Outfitters and Bloomingdales to ride the premium denim bubble, shifting of production to China/Romania, etc., and the lowering of their price points to attact a larger customer base. It used to be Diesel was connative with edgy-Italian fashion but now its just mass-bro-wear.

It's a shame.

I think this is why Renzo Rosso was driven to grab Hedi. Renzo helped develop some amazing brands in the past like Katherine Hamnett, labels that are connotative with progressive idea/fashion. I think the Diesel Black Gold is a horrible idea; largely because the customers that are attracted to Diesel now aren't the same customers that are willing to "trade up" for higher price points. Those that are, largely will be alienated with the mass-appeal of the Diesel label. Hence Hedi will probably provide a means of attracting the same customers drawn to Martin Margiela (which Diesel owns) without the mass-appeal connotations of the parent label.

If they name it Hedi Slimane for Diesel, then it will be a disaster.

Sources said talks between representatives of Renzo Rosso of Diesel and Hedi Slimane took place as recently as this past weekend, but Slimane's people insist no deal has been made — and may never be. Following reports Slimane may be tapped to design Diesel's new Red Collection, one of his representatives told WWD that the former Dior Homme creative director has "no interest at all in Renzo Rosso's group, let alone Diesel."

Thank god.

Raijo is on point as usual. I was a big fan of Diesel in the very late 90s/early 00. I mean, not only did they basically create the "premium denim market" but their timely military-inspired look from back then had a huge influence on the direction of consumer fashion for nearly a decade.

Of course, they've fallen off considerably, and in hindsight it's easy to slam them as some of the styles haven't aged terrificly, but you have to remember that like back in 98 wearing cadet hats and M65 was like WHOA FASHUNS.

Then again, my memory is pretty hazy.

In some way I think the ebb and flow of Diesel's fortunes basically reflects how the world at large feels about the concept/tradition of "Italian luxury."

The quality of their jeans is still superior to Seven for All Mankind, True Religion, etc.

Diesel used to be a very edgy and cutting edge label. And combined with Rogan, single handledly started the whole premium denim market for the masses. The owner, Renzo Rosso used to work under Adriano Goldschmied of AG Jeans. You can thank Helmut Lang, and to a larger extent Calvin Klein for the impetus. Say before 2002-2003, almost all the clothing was made in Italy; particularly their jeans, which was their hallmark. Great washes and cuts with unique details few other labels did aside from urban labels like Ecko (before they became mass). In my opinion, their Diesel Style Lab collection was the pinnacle of their creative legacy. Unfortunately, it didn't sell well and was canned. I think the tipping point was when Diesel became started opening accounts with larger retailers like Urban Outfitters and Bloomingdales to ride the premium denim bubble, shifting of production to China/Romania, etc., and the lowering of their price points to attact a larger customer base. It used to be Diesel was connative with edgy-Italian fashion but now its just mass-bro-wear.

It's a shame.

I think this is why Renzo Rosso was driven to grab Hedi. Renzo helped develop some amazing brands in the past like Katherine Hamnett, labels that are connotative with progressive idea/fashion. I think the Diesel Black Gold is a horrible idea; largely because the customers that are attracted to Diesel now aren't the same customers that are willing to "trade up" for higher price points. Those that are, largely will be alienated with the mass-appeal of the Diesel label. Hence Hedi will probably provide a means of attracting the same customers drawn to Martin Margiela (which Diesel owns) without the mass-appeal connotations of the parent label.

If they name it Hedi Slimane for Diesel, then it will be a disaster.

Weren't you 8 ten years ago? :confused:

Raijo is on point as usual. I was a big fan of Diesel in the very late 90s/early 00. I mean, not only did they basically create the "premium denim market" but their timely military-inspired look from back then had a huge influence on the direction of consumer fashion for nearly a decade.

is this the normal experience? the "creating the premium denim" thing was in the early 90s and we all thought it was the next girbaud. by the late 90s everyone had a couple of their things and liked them but it never seemed like a brand anyone cared about deeply. they probably did struggle to establish themselves outside of the jeans market in the us but i was under the impression that side of the house did pretty well in europe.

i remember the stylelab stuff - wasn't very good value for money and i'm pretty sure distribution was limited to standalone boutiques and diesel stores, if so it was a terrible mistake & if not they didn't get into the right dept stores cos it never really shook free of the diesel association

is this the normal experience? the "creating the premium denim" thing was in the early 90s and we all thought it was the next girbaud. by the late 90s everyone had a couple of their things and liked them but it never seemed like a brand anyone cared about deeply. they probably did struggle to establish themselves outside of the jeans market in the us but i was under the impression that side of the house did pretty well in europe.

Rajio pretty much described my experience. I had no exposure to premium denim pre-Diesel. Back in '00, I thought Diesel was the shit. I also couldn't afford any of it. By the time I was willing to pay 200+ for jeans, their day was kind of over.