BAPE-mania???

rakis

I'm not cussing but this is just an observation......I'm lost really:

There is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATHING-APE-SHARK-GREEN-HOODIE-MEDIUM-pharrell-bape_W0QQitemZ8338899201QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And then this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Bathing-Ape-Bape-Grey-Shark-Zip-Up-Hoodie-L-Parka_W0QQitemZ8338641288QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was outside the BAPE store in London on Saturday and saw loads of people queuing outside and was then told it was for the Shark hoodie.....most were young (late teens to early 20s???) but how can they justify this sort of mania?

I remember being told that BAPE gear is made out of "very good materials" but still some of these prices(including/especially resellers) is plainly beyong my comprehension.....(this applies to other fashion house designer gear as well)....

A close friend who owns a store in Asia that sells various (legit) gear mentioned that his experience in HK silenced him as the "kids" there are so into the "streetwear" scene that those who work spend literally all their money on clothes....this could be possible as it is usual for most to live at home with parents in HK and Spore (thus don't really have to be worried about rent money and bills that are attached to a certain independent lifestyle choice) but still that type of consumerism is scary....

Also, I thought the whole BAPE-mania has exploded in Asia about 4-5 years ago and kids had moved on to other labels but I guess I was very wrong.....

I earn decent salary (is that is at all possible in london) but to spend that kind of money is just incomprehensible to me....

Maybe I've grown older and wiser......or maybe just have bills to look after......

all i can base my opinions on is a pair of jeans that i bought over a year ago.. they aren't selvage, just the straight wrangler rip off ones. they do fit me well but the quality of denim is real bad. they cost double the price of silas jeans but they're half the quality.

bape used to be famous for its attention to detail and quality but in my opinion its totally lost its sense of direction. if you look at the stuff they did in the mid 90's it was well made and super simple, now its just massive logo's and camo everything. maybe its just me, but i dont want to wear something with some stupid ape all over it. give me supreme and visvim anyday

"You brought the fucking Pomeranian bowling?"

"I haven't brought it bowling...I didn't rent it shoes, I'm not buying it a fucking beer, it's not taking a fucking turn..."

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

There is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATHING-APE-SHARK-GREEN-HOODIE-MEDIUM-pharrell-bape_W0QQitemZ8338899201QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And then this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Bathing-Ape-Bape-Grey-Shark-Zip-Up-Hoodie-L-Parka_W0QQitemZ8338641288QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was outside the BAPE store in London on Saturday and saw loads of people queuing outside and was then told it was for the Shark hoodie.....most were young (late teens to early 20s???) but how can they justify this sort of mania?

I remember being told that BAPE gear is made out of "very good materials" but still some of these prices(including/especially resellers) is plainly beyong my comprehension.....(this applies to other fashion house designer gear as well)....

A close friend who owns a store in Asia that sells various (legit) gear mentioned that his experience in HK silenced him as the "kids" there are so into the "streetwear" scene that those who work spend literally all their money on clothes....this could be possible as it is usual for most to live at home with parents in HK and Spore (thus don't really have to be worried about rent money and bills that are attached to a certain independent lifestyle choice) but still that type of consumerism is scary....

Also, I thought the whole BAPE-mania has exploded in Asia about 4-5 years ago and kids had moved on to other labels but I guess I was very wrong.....

I earn decent salary (is that is at all possible in london) but to spend that kind of money is just incomprehensible to me....

Maybe I've grown older and wiser......or maybe just have bills to look after......

--- Original message by rakis on Sep 28, 2005 06:45 AM

BAPE gear is definitely NOT 'very good materials.' The quality is about as blah as you can get, which makes the high ass pricing even more striking...basically fruit of the loom cotton for t-shirts, hoodies and sweatshirts nothing special at all. If I'm paying $300 for a hoodie I'd get a Cloak one before i go anywhere near Bape...

BTW, does anyone have pics of this 'shark' hoodie? I'd like to see what the fuss is all about...

Quote:

There is this:

And then this:

--- Original message by rakis on Sep 28, 2005 06:45 AM

maybe is time we all should grow wiser....

Quote:

I like the shark hoodie, I'd never get/wear it because it's BAPE but whatever

--- Original message by ten100switch on Sep 28, 2005 08:50 AM

Quote: I like the shark hoodie, I'd never get/wear it because it's BAPE but whatever

i hate it when people fukn say that. they're so typical n shit. get whatever you think is hot dude, don't hate on the brand.

Quote:

Getting Bape is no stupider than all these denim homos droolin' over expensive jeans.

--- Original message by frogeyes on Sep 28, 2005 08:24 PM

Not to totally defend the denim love on this forum but if,as was said earlier, Bape really is nothing special quality-wise, then there is a difference.

The reason ppl on this board like japanese denim is the effort and quality that goes into them. Not the fact that they're limited edition or have some stupid shark teeth on them.

But you know what? To each his own...

Quote:
Quote:

Getting Bape is no stupider than all these denim homos droolin' over expensive jeans.

--- Original message by frogeyes on Sep 28, 2005 08:24 PM

Not to totally defend the denim love on this forum but if,as was said earlier, Bape really is nothing special quality-wise, then there is a difference.

The reason ppl on this board like japanese denim is the effort and quality that goes into them. Not the fact that they're limited edition or have some stupid shark teeth on them.

But you know what? To each his own...

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Sep 29, 2005 08:14 AM

not to mention the high price is alot different when comapred. some of us may buy expensive jeans and whatnot but im pretty sure nobody on here would pay 3 times retail for a pair of dior jeans. even with that aside those hoodies are about the same price as dior jeans normally... something isnt right about that.

I mentioned BAPE as I was outside the store on Saturday. I'm not hating on the brand but like I said in my post, its on observation of mine. Quite a few on this board have similar sentiments about other brands as well.

I do like the BAPE camo print (in olive/green) but other than appreciating it, I cannot justify it to myself paying such a price for a jacket/jumper/tee.

I can afford it just like others on this board but I was curious about its value from a quality/workmanship perspective.

I did not comment on the Dior jacket or any other fashion label as I have not seen it (the Dior jacket) and I did not see youngsters (aged between about 18-25) queuing ouside the Dior store in bond steet on saturday morning eager to buy whatever dropped in that morning's shipment.

Just an observation.

i could never justify spending the night in london on the street waiting for a hoody with teeth on it.. never, ever. i would be willing to bet that most of them were resellers anyways.

nigo should bring out a bape x kaws x marvel x pharrel sleeping bag.. could make himself to serious cash

"You brought the fucking Pomeranian bowling?"

"I haven't brought it bowling...I didn't rent it shoes, I'm not buying it a fucking beer, it's not taking a fucking turn..."