Customs and Shipping tax.

sybaritical

So I couldn't resist, and after drooling for a while, bought a pair of Prps one rinse online from the US rather than here in the UK, cos of the huge difference in price and the favourable exchange rate. But then when they got delivered, I got smacked up for another $100 in customs charges on top, payable COD. It's never happened to me before on the numerous times when I've ordered stuff from abroad, and it's a proper drag. Figure I might have just been unlucky, but if not and it IS a normal practice, I'm going to have to rethink the amount of stuff I buy and get shipped in. Anyone else had similar trouble?

Every country is different i know, but depending where I am, I sometimes ask the merchant selling it to me to label it a gift. They must not stick a receipt or anything to it.

Just a matter of getting a merchant who is a little "flexible" in his ethics, this is because by law (in most countries, especially US, Aus, UK, Jap) they have to stick a receipt for an item sent to a buyer.

Does this info help>>

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

I normally do the same thing, i.e, request that the seller mark the package as a 'gift'.

But what you need to do is figure out what the tax-free exemption for goods purchased abroad are...either ring up the P.O. and ask, or usually it's the amount that you're allowed if you were to leave the country for 24hrs and return...

so in Canada, that amount is approx. $50-60. If you get the seller to mark the package w/ that value or less, then you should be safe.

peace...

Thanks guys. Yeah ... Belive I got onto HM customs STRAIGHT away and got *politely* very aggravated with them. They explained that anything - new OR used - coming into the UK from outside the EU over the value of £18 ($32) was liable for 17.5%, and that clothing was up for 12.5% more on top of that. PLUS even if it's marked up as a gift, it still becomes taxable at £36 ($64).

Anyhow. That's all by and by. Just that it kinda took the joy out of actually receiving the jeans.

Canada is awful for receiving goods in the mail. They tax anything and everything, whenever they can, sometimes even when they shouldn't.

I've never, ever had a problem with it in the USA, even when receiving $800 headphones from Japan that were marked as such.

Guest aerothem

And there you have the difference between the EU and USA, haha. Taxes are absolutely insane when ordering from outside the Union, and I've had the exact same problems as described.

no it is not possible, you got hustle, if it is only one pair, you shouldn't have to pay for any tax on it.

due to several reason:

-you could claim that the item in the package is a sample item, have no commercial value.

-you could claim it is a gift from friend.

-you could claim it is used. not new.

-you could claim it is a return item from a friend or customer....

i'm sure there is alot more ways to avoid getting tax on.