spray paint on a shirt

BOORADLEY

DIY guy....i like it....and hey, its cheaper than getting a screen burned and screenprinting it....i say go for it, at least you'll have an original....

but just a bit of advice...dont use cardboard, use a file folder...a lot thinner, and better for detail...lasts pretty long too when doing stencils....

and go for a super light color...and dont wash the shirt...

dont spray paint.. go to an art store and get some fabric ink. i think speedball is the cheapest.. it shoujd be like 3.19 or something for like 20 ounces. make the stencil and then get a big brush and paint over the stencil with the fabric ink. youll get alot better results.

Quote:

yeah i agree that a silkscreen kit would be better... but i dont want to like blow all this money on something like that. speedball eh...ill check that out. i would just think the spray painted look would be sweet on like a hoodie or something.

--- Original message by deathmulletonfire on Sep 13, 2005 09:53 PM

Where were you able to find it for $3.00 for 20oz? The last time I checked ink was $5 for 4oz.

• 1 year later...

1. use overhead transparencies (acetate) to cut out the stencil (staples/kinkos will sell them individually for $.50 each)

2. use spary adhesive to make the stencil stick to the fabric

3. you can mix any acrylic paint with textile medium (craft store)

4. use a small foam roller to roll the paint/textile medium onto the fabric

if you do this right and take your time, it will look screen printed

cmykhustla.. i tried acetate before but it was hard as heck to cut out with an exacto knife.

what i did to spraypaint on clothes is cut out the stencil, spraypaint a layer on the shirt as a marker and then get acrylic paint and paint within the stencil using the spraypaint as a guide. long process

well if you put the time and effort in cutting the stencil in acetate, i think it pays off in the end. manila folders tend to get rough edges after a while and don't last.

but spraying a shirt with spraypaint and wearing it... not very safe for your health imo. fabric ink is a lot better. it DOES come in spraycans...

i just did it with a hoody. i did an all over pattern that turned out well using a manilla envelope. the spray paint isn't as glossy as i would have hoped. I think its tight though so go for it

thanks for your input, but the question was asked 1 year and a month ago.