Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Hah, thanks! It might be a bit hard to make these for other people as the VW key is riveted to the leather :)

Edit: Should have added this earlier. I can spin it around and have access to all of the buttons on the VW key.

4142082170_d5da31c4cd_o.jpg

I used some lighter weight leather scraps for that. Belt stock would have been too thick. Function is just as important as form in my book.

Thanks, Otis.

Mr. Black- Thanks. I did use a standard sewing machine, but it was a challenge. There were spots where I had to sew through 4+ layers of canvas. Use heavy thread, set the tension pretty high, and go slowly. For rivets, I'd punch a hole in the fabric/leather, then hand hammer the rivets. But, you need a $10 tool to set the washer and good cutters to nip the excess rivet off before hammering. The straps are just belt blanks.

Nice work!

Is cutting the excess rivet off mean cutting the height of the rivet if it is too tall for whatever one is riveting?

Also, any recommendations for quality leather hole punches?

There's some on amazon but not sure if these will last.

Here's my girlfriends new camera case and strap, damn my hands hurt.

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

I want to make one as i have a g10 as well

did you use tooling leather? is so what number?

how do you make your stitching so neat and tidy?.. i'm using a lock-stitch sewing awl and i can't get my stuff and nice and tidy like that.. any pointers for me?.. i know.. i'm a newb

I've been using this card case that I made almost exactly one year ago. Photos are new, 6 mo, 12 mo.

4163849947_522c33a47a_o.jpg

I finally finished my collection!

These pieces are inspired more by New England and my home than western wear, and are a bit more simple than a lot of the custom work that's popular. This is the Traveler's Wallet. It's 6" by 4", and holds a passport, has a coin/receipt pouch, holds upwards of 10 cards and has another bill/receipt slot. I'm using hand set copper rivets throughout, and the wallet is about 1cm thick unloaded.

4173201971_06a389f43d.jpg

4173958314_d38b7ca15b.jpg

and a sneak peak of the rest. I'm going to be doing a couple other colors, i'll post pics when they're all done (inbetween custom stuff, should take a couple months).

4173202063_f4abd35149.jpg

Another great piece, Zissou.

I whatever it is you do for a living, I hope your talents are going to good use.

4169708876_74ffb1f0a6.jpg

Thanks a lot :) I really like the stitching on this belt. Did you do it all by hand? That's my next task to try...

nice guys! zissou: i love that case there. simple, aged nicely. it looks like a billykirk piece!

Thanks :) I have to admit that I kinda copied their card case, but wanted something horizontal.

Thanks a lot :) I really like the stitching on this belt. Did you do it all by hand? That's my next task to try...

Thanks :) I have to admit that I kinda copied their card case, but wanted something horizontal.

Yeah, it's all done by hand. It takes a really long time, but it's good, satisfying, meditative work.

• 4 weeks later...

yep, they're refillable. basically the inserts are stapled together and will have a soft cover inside the leather cover, so all you do is clip the waxed thread to remove the filled insert and sew a new insert in. I wanted to do something semi permanent that involved the owner, not just a simple "unslide and slide in a new one" type thing.