Tyro1

australia :: melbourne :: shopping

what's my best bet for a slim fitting white business/dress shirt? has to be under $90 as i want to buy 3 or so. uniqlo uk are out of stock - anything in dj's or myers? i might even have to settle for jack london as i'd prefer to try them on.

Jackg, I just read about Aesop Melbourne in Fantastic Man haha. Hope you get in on those sick lunches.

haven't yet, but we have one next Wednesday that I will be getting around. will report back with pictures. 

on a unrelated note, I drove up to the gold coast last week for my last ever uni games (sigh) and surfers paradise is potentially the most disgusting place I have ever visited. not sure I have ever seen such a concentration of bad tattoos and poorly dressed people in my life. although i think i spied one guy repping ro geo's. 

yes do not go to surfer's paradise or the gold coast

i am just sorry we could not havep revented this erarlier

i saw some (fake) ro geo's in canberra the other day.

also there is a rich dude round town always wearing givenchy t's and j. scott addidas wings. hes small and fat.

^ haha always the way!

Edited by jackg

Will be in Melbourne next week, unexpectedly. Any recommendations on shops to visit/ places to eat would be greatly appreciated!

- Assin

- Eastern Markets

- Harrolds

- Marais 

those spring to mind, but i'll keep thinking. poor timing next week as my thesis is due the following Monday otherwise would have been down for beers for sure! How long are you here for? 

Are you looking for places to eat/disco as well? 

i really like yong's (vego/vegan) in fitzroy and twenty & six (cafe) in nth melbourne.

Edited by conqueror

Thanks for the replys guys.

I'll only be there for 5 days (but fingers crossed I'll be making a more permanent move in December) so definitely down for beers when I do!

Places to eat as well as places to party would be great!

Oh awesome! Definitely beers then. Are you still at uni or are you working full time?

Other places to visit

- Toff in Town (Bar)

- Cookie (Restaurant)

- Somedays (shop)

(those three are all in the same building!)

- Yu-U (Japanese Restaurant)

- Mercat

- Revolver (disco dispensary and a personal fav of mine!) 

i've never really understood someday - its a great space but every time i've been they literally have nothing for sale. maybe one item from each label they carry.

Edited by conqueror

i've never really understood someday - its a great space but every time i've been they literally have nothing for sale. maybe one item from each label they carry.

it is awfully small, considering the kind of brands they stock they could be doing things much much better! 

Oh awesome! Definitely beers then. Are you still at uni or are you working full time?

Other places to visit

- Toff in Town (Bar)

- Cookie (Restaurant)

- Somedays (shop)

- Mercat

Thanks so much for the recommendations, will deffinitely check everything out! I'm in my last year of postgraduate study (web dev/graphic design) so will be looking for ANYTHING in design to get my foot in the door! What about you guys?

qlo are definitely dragging their feet, i was offered an interview with them almost a year ago now.

Did you do the Manager Candidate Program? I got to the final round but missed out.

Other places to visit

- Toff in Town (Bar)

- Cookie (Restaurant)

- Somedays (shop)

- Mercat

I can second Yu-U but you may have a hard time getting a reservation within a week. Not sure if things have died down now but it was a two week wait when I went two years ago.

Chin-Chin is a nice walk in not far from Yu-U if that turns out to be the case.

honestly yu-u is not all that special food-wise imo, nice space/ambiance though

i like chin chin for their bustling, loud atmosphere. food is again not all that special i think though and you can't make reservations, so expect to line up.

little ramen bar on the corner of little bourke/elizabeth is probably the best ramen in melbourne. kokoro and ramen ya are mid-tier in comparison. but as the name suggests its tiny and you'll probably have to line up.

highly recommend heirloom (japanese restaurant) on bourke st. great food, good prices. pop in for lunch and the food/price ratio is even better. at night there's more suits but the space is big so you don't have to mingle

st. ali in south melb has great coffee and decent food. actually you'll be able to find a good coffee most anywhere if you stay central. most swear by brother baba budan, seven seeds, etc... but i'd try st. ali if you get a chance

cookie, toff, rooftop are good for a drink and all in the same building in the middle of CBD so easy to get to. i've been hanging a lot at manchuria in chinatown for a drink lately and its a super nice place. low-key, chill and chicks dig it. best is probably thursday nights, but even fri nights are less busy than most other places. if in a bigger group madame brussels is cute and has jugs that most enjoy

oh and muji is opening nov 26 at chaddy, no idea how big it's going to be though...

Did you do the Manager Candidate Program? I got to the final round but missed out.

yeah, i'm not sure what stage i got to but i was called up and asked to fly to sydney (i think) for an interview - this was mid-2012. it was kind of weird because i don't think i went through the same stages that most people did because she kept referencing my experience at american apparel/travelling to japan. either way, i had to turn it down because it was on the same day i had an exam.

Edited by conqueror

Other places to visit

- Toff in Town (Bar)

- Cookie (Restaurant)

- Somedays (shop)

- Mercat

revolver is great! went there twice when i was in melbourne earlier this year.

also remember going to coda(restaurant) which was really good. not far from chin chin if i remember correctly?

haven't yet, but we have one next Wednesday that I will be getting around. will report back with pictures. 

living that corporate life!

Founders_lunch_1.png

Founders_lunch_5.pngFounders_lunch_6.png

anyone got recommendations for a decent (quality and price) tailor to make adjustments on a suit?

CBD would be preferable...

oh shit, The Orb, is playing at Rainbow Serpent next year. 

Anyone else going? I am pretty much a lock anyway but this definitely pushing me over the edge. 

Just wanted to say that is really cool that there is actually a decent Melbourne community, most other boards i've looked at we seem to be pretty non existent, so hi

hi friend!

i wanna do a meet up this summer. in a week or two (depending on when my supervisors give me the green light to submit my thesis) i'll have a fair bit more free time and a good sufu squad dinner/drinks/disco session would be perfect. 

Awesome, I both turn 18 and finish my exams in a week or two so hopefully I will be able to come along and meet you guys

Out of interest, is there anywhere in Melbourne that still carries Yamamoto Pour Homme?

I know Eastern Market used to though, though I don't know if they do anymore, and Left is just womenswear if I remember correctly.

Uniqlo is opening in Autumn... according to the last update i read.

I saw the pictures, and damn their brand design is pretty different in the aussie store compared to internationally. 

Looks like I will be visiting Melb soon. Maybe second week of Jan? Have a few things to do but if the sufu melb crew is free I'd be down for a beer or etc.

Looks like I will be visiting Melb soon. Maybe second week of Jan? Have a few things to do but if the sufu melb crew is free I'd be down for a beer or etc.

Lock it in!

Awesome dude. I'll pm you closer to the date and grab your #

Also, anyone have any comments towards the Ovolo hotel on Little Bourke?