Best Criterion Films> cinephiles unite!

hughsd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best Criterion DVDs as far as treatment and bonus material I think is Roman Polanski's "Knife In The Water".

The 2nd disc is all of Polanski's student short films. It's incredible.

i guess i was thinking more about just the film. i only buy about 3 actual critereon dvds a month. the other ones i watch are always just downloaded.

Why concentrate on criterion only? You'll get your taste railroaded by a DVD company....

One of their most consistantly excellent release is Il Gattopardo by Visconti (two versions of the movie + plenty of interesting extras), another one being Battle of Algier by Pontecorvo (excellent extras about the algerian war). Those also happen to be masterful movies. I had the please of attending a showing of Battle of Algier with some of the actors (and real life protagonists of the algerian war turned politicians in the current government) who were quite candid in answering our questions. It was quite an experience.

Why concentrate on criterion only? You'll get your taste railroaded by a DVD company....

i watch plenty of movies that are not put out by them. however, they have managed to assemble a wonderful collection of important and just great films. they really have given me a reason to actually buy dvds again. they always come with such cool stuff!

Why the fuck would you download a criterion. I don't get anything out of watching shit on my pc.

i watch almost everything on my computer. cost is the only reason i would download them and if you look carefully you can almost always get the special features. freakyflicks.com isnt a bad place to look for good torrents.

color correction on Days of Heaven was amazing. as if that film wasn't great already... otherwise i'm not all that familiar w/ their releases--but i will be now thanks to KG! (i download their stuff because i don't have 40 dollars for DVDs)

and i wouldn't mind the thread staying only w/ Criterion releases.

Elevator to the Gallows and Il Posto were the first DVDs that I watched all the extra features on and actually felt as if it hadn't been a complete waste of time. It always seemed to me that a lot of the time people add extras because its expected not because they think anyone actually will watch them. Plus both are excellent films.

They released stranger than paradise not long ago I think and it's one of my favorite movies ever. It comes with permanent vacation so I think its worth buying it from criterion. Another recent release is La haine and it always been another of my favorites but it wasnt on DVD before (thanks Jodie Foster). Seijun suzukis movies are really good too, you should watch them Hugh.

They're all good... we do not NEED this thread but I guess it's nice to be repetitive...

everything you need is on dvdbeaver.com and dvdtalk.com

a friend of mine is telling me his favorite is Six Moral Tales collection or Eric Rohmer's... should I blind buy or not?

a friend of mine is telling me his favorite is Six Moral Tales collection or Eric Rohmer's... should I blind buy or not?

I watched three of the six planning to get the others later, and they get pretty repetitive as far as structure goes and ultimately I found the stories ranged from boring to semi-boring. Needless to say I returned the 3 and decided to get something different. They just weren't my cup of tea I guess.

They're all good... we do not NEED this thread but I guess it's nice to be repetitive...

everything you need is on dvdbeaver.com and dvdtalk.com

No, why would you? Rohmer is very verbose and you might not enjoy his brand of light hearted presentation of moral dilemnas. Why not rent "my night at maud's" and see if you like that?