hiphop subgenres

Guest DUM

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Funkadelic (Del)

Grime (Necro, Ill Bill)

Jazz rap (DJ Jazzy Jeff?)

New jack swing (A Tribe Called Quest)

That is a pretty stupid comment on your behalf. You know nothing about my knowledge. I don't really care to argue with people that are too hardheaded. They stay one-sided.

I think we can all get a glimpse into the extremely vast knowledge of music you have by your categorization list.

Looks like you based some of them on the name of the artist and not even their sound. Del .. funkadelic? Jazzy Jeff .. Jazz rap? C'mon man.

I think we can all get a glimpse into the extremely vast knowledge of music you have by your categorization list.

Looks like you based some of them on the name of the artist and not even their sound. Del .. funkadelic? Jazzy Jeff .. Jazz rap? C'mon man.

Do you even listen to Del? You obviously haven't if you didn't know that Del became what he is today because of P-Funk. DEL IS FUNK. Nice 2nd attempt at trying to put me on blast.

You and OMC can get off my nuts now.

Guest supernoob

aint that 1 song tho it got sax in it. the 1 aobut summer or somethin with fresh prince. "summertime" i thnk it call???

im a tite pants wearin ass nigga, WHAT/??~~~!!!!????

Guest supernoob
Funkadelic also means funky. It was a word before P-Funk even came around.

If one actually listened to Del you'd understand where his inspiration comes from.

i listen 2 del but he makes lyk rap 4 wite kids. summa his song r kool tho. weere his inspiration cm frM????? do he shOp @ SUPREME?????

this whole "if you..." argument doesnt work on us, because guess what- we already know. which is why we're calling your bluff.

you're like those journalists that try to classify every artist as a new genre... "oh this band is nerdjazz horrortech bassbeats"

please stop. please.

techno was a word before techno happened, what's your point?

jazz rap? guru's jazzmatazz project, big duh. but jazzy jeff?

this whole "if you..." argument doesnt work on us, because guess what- we already know. which is why we're calling your bluff.

you're like those journalists that try to classify every artist as a new genre... "oh this band is nerdjazz horrortech bassbeats"

please stop. please.

techno was a word before techno happened, what's your point?

jazz rap? guru's jazzmatazz project, big duh. but jazzy jeff?

Are you serious? We already know? You sound like an idiot.

Do you not realize that Jazzy Jeff mainly samples Jazz music? Are you really this clueless?

Please contribute some knowledge before you try to call me out on shit you can't back up.

Are you serious? We already know? You sound like an idiot.

Do you not realize that Jazzy Jeff mainly samples Jazz music? Are you really this clueless?

Please contribute some knowledge before you try to call me out on shit you can't back up.

do you not realize that the fact that jazzy jeff samples mainly jazz music does not make him a jazz rap artist? do you realize that youre the one who is trying to back up his shoddy genre associations with marshmallow fluff?

you want to talk hip hop? lets talk hip hop.

lets talk about the early days influenced heavily by disco and funk and soul, lets talk about techno happening in the midwest, lets talk about the emergence of electro as hip hop music's first true subgenre, lets talk then about the soon-after influence of electronic dance music on what was now more widely becoming known as rap music in the south giving birth to baltimore club and miami bass.

lets step into the golden age and talk about run dmc's raising hell and let's get into

the overarching power of the east coast sound in hip hop which focused on gritty soul and funk samples, lets talk about the short rise of afrocentric hip hop and the prominence of the 5% at this time in the music game, the native tongues posse bringing in the true jazz rap and gangstarr in the window too.

then g-funk comes roaring out of the west in 94, riding along with gangsta rap.

meanwhile in the south, bounce music is taking over. ghettotech is hitting up the

midwest, and heavy bass still reigning supreme down in florida.

we'll touch on def jam bringing new york city back into focus for a while, and the huge new orleans sound that hit big for a few years, and then

southern hip hop steals the limelight in the very late 90s after bad boy records sets the

stage for rap to truly become a form of pop music.

and all underneath these overarching art forms you have the bay cranking out hyphy,

chopped and screwed in texas, the short short short shoooorrtttt slew of horrorcore artists that came primarily out of new york, and disaffected white youths giving birth to nerdcore, abstract hip hop, and every nitpicking form of indie rap you can think of.

all off the top of my head. you and your poorly researched wikipedia links can eat butt.

IM EVEN LEAVING OUT REALLY INCONSEQUENTIAL SHIT THAT I COULD FLEX MUSCLE ON, LIKE TALKING ABOUT FLORIDA BREAKS SPECIFICALLY FOR FIVE PAGES.

YOURE LIKE THOSE METALHEAD KIDS THAT FIGHT ABOUT HOW

SLIPKNOT IS DEATH METAL. PLZ NO MOAR LISTEN 2 MUSIZLK.