hiphop subgenres

Guest DUM

Why doesn't hiphop have many recognized subgenres? Where's my post-gangsta rap at?

What do we have?

Mafioso

B More

Christian

2 Live Crew

Hardcore

Gangsta

Crunk

Horrorcore

Concious?

Backpack

I Sell Way More Cocaine Than You

What do you call Aesop/Sage/El-P/Cage/etc.?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest supernoob

no question def jux is backpacker.

is jazzy jeff rly makin jazz rap?? tbh i iant listen 2 much of his stuff outside of his joinst wit fresh prince

mostly associate primo wit dem jawns

backpackers are most def the Def Jux crew or most anyone incorporating "spaceship beats/imagery". Grime would most likely be strictly UK,imo.

DJ Premier aint no turntablist. Qbert,The Xecutioners and the Invisible Scratch Pickles would occupy that subgenre.

New Jack Swing= Guy,Heavy D and the Boyz, Father MC, etc.....

Guest supernoob
those were two seperate thoughts?

anyway...backpackerz punch you in zee face too yea?

grime, musically, seems to be more of a subgenre of garage that happens to use rap...

what about the anticon stuff? do we really want to even call that shit hiphop? nah, right?

WE GOT IT FOR CHEAP THATS THE REUP ANTHEM

we got it 4 cheap chyea

There really is no right or wrong when it comes to categorizing these types of artists, because many of them fall into more than one category.

you seem to know little next to nothing about music and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near sound. and your name is a joke. please stop.

Guest supernoob

word 2 ur motehr dey combine rap, funk sound, n metal 2 create muzix

im a tite pants wearin ass nigga

im a tite pants wearin ass nigga

im a itte pants wearin ass niga

backpackers are most def the Def Jux crew or most anyone incorporating "spaceship beats/imagery". Grime would most likely be strictly UK,imo.

DJ Premier aint no turntablist. Qbert,The Xecutioners and the Invisible Scratch Pickles would occupy that subgenre.

New Jack Swing= Guy,Heavy D and the Boyz, Father MC, etc.....

The original definition of backpacker was a person who carried his music in his backpack (this term was originally derived from graffiti artists who only believed in carrying underground artists that weren't mainstream nor had radioplay), it in no way has anything to do with being a hip hop artist.

As for, DJ Premier, you obviously haven't heard his circa 99 scratch sessions.

you seem to know little next to nothing about music and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near sound. and your name is a joke. please stop.

That is a pretty stupid comment on your behalf. You know nothing about my knowledge. I don't really care to argue with people that are too hardheaded. They stay one-sided.