Recent Purchases. . .

CBM

[/img]

Nepenthes NY.

how is nepenthes nyc? aren't they like one of the first chain select shops to open in america (atmos and that kind don't really count)? wonder why that is.

jmatsu -

Nepenthes NY is an amazing store. From the interior to the customer service. I am not well versed in the business and its where abouts other than the obvious and known origins....why wouldnt they expand to the states?

the why wouldn't they question could be applied to so many of their seemingly more lucrative rivals. so that is why i wondered about that.

why them and not others?

the why wouldn't they question could be applied to so many of their seemingly more lucrative rivals. so that is why i wondered about that.

why them and not others?

There hasn't been any niche outdoorsy Americana store in the states. *土臭い concept*

It's kinda weird that there's no middle ground in American fashion retail stores. It's either high-end houte couture / fashion-victimy stores or shitty chain stores.

It also doesn't help that buying is usually pretty conservative at most places. There's a huge overlap among the labels carried by stores. I guess Odin is a good exampple. Rag & bone, richard chai, duckie brown, and etc. They all look the same to me. It's still a great store but they have so much shit that look similar. I guess you could argue that they are going for brand "synergism" but that's kinda boring.

I'm not saying that we should have stores like liquor, woman, tears, acycle, and tokishiraz though... That's way too crazy.

I don't work in the industry so my opinion is of little value, I guess.

Mikey (kyx) and I were talking about this a little last week. He mentioned thinking that the Japanese distributors/retailers were the only ones smart enough to market and get these Americana products into the hands of the right people. Let's be honest, the same number of American's don't get off on this shit as in Japan.

I also noted that the market for stores like Nepenthes, Beams and brands like Rocky Mountain Featherbed Co., etc. etc. has got to be MUCH larger in Japan than in the states. I would imagine that any efforts these names might be considering making to expand into the states would be better served slanging even more product in Japan.

I also noted that the market for stores like Nepenthes, Beams and brands like Rocky Mountain Featherbed Co., etc. etc. has got to be MUCH larger in Japan than in the states. I would imagine that any efforts these names might be considering making to expand into the states would be better served slanging even more product in Japan.

I guess it also has to do with the logistics of jawn promotion in the Japland.

1) Clothing companies make jawnz

2) Jawnz distributed to celebs, magazines, ad agencies, stylists, and etc --> mad endorsement

3) we see them in jawn magz and on tv

4) "this shit b cool. gotta cop."

5) repeat

A good example is honeyee.com.

It's a very cool website but it is nothing but a collection of ads disguised as blogs / fashion news feed.

There hasn't been any niche outdoorsy Americana store in the states. *土臭い concept*

It's kinda weird that there's no middle ground in American fashion retail stores. It's either high-end houte couture / fashion-victimy stores or shitty chain stores.

It also doesn't help that buying is usually pretty conservative at most places. There's a huge overlap among the labels carried by stores. I guess Odin is a good exampple. Rag & bone, richard chai, duckie brown, and etc. They all look the same to me. It's still a great store but they have so much shit that look similar. I guess you could argue that they are going for brand "synergism" but that's kinda boring.

I'm not saying that we should have stores like liquor, woman, tears, acycle, and tokishiraz though... That's way too crazy.

I don't work in the industry so my opinion is of little value, I guess.

course they're ain't gonna b no liquor, woman tear, acycle, etc.

the kind of jap stores we r (supposed 2 b)talking about first popped up in hk and the other chinas first cause obviously there was/still is a market.

opening ceremony kinda did the big select shop thing with mostly nonjap brands. they tried this in tokyo...and fucking failing. mainly because they carry shit that is readily available and had been available. if jap select shops went to america they wouldn't run into this prob as much cause they carry or hypothetically would carry their reg stock of mid level japbrands. the thing is that there was/is no real good representation (never been to nep nyc) of a midtier chain jap select shop in america.

if they opened some shops we probably don't shop at in tokyo, maybe like beams or some shit in america, they'd probably sell imo.

japamania just getting bigger.

again, why nepenthes? good move i think, but this shoulda been done a couple years earlier. beams shoulda done it and could still do it and be successful. they cluthinz, but lifestyle 2 is why.

even shitty ass AndA might do good. trancons and all those companies.

I guess it also has to do with the logistics of jawn promotion in the Japland.

1) Clothing companies make jawnz

2) Jawnz distributed to celebs, magazines, ad agencies, stylists, and etc --> mad endorsement

3) we see them in jawn magz and on tv

4) "this shit b cool. gotta cop."

5) repeat

A good example is honeyee.com.

It's a very cool website but it is nothing but a collection of ads disguised as blogs / fashion news feed.

this is truth. and this could be applied to the american market by those japanese companies if they invested and did shit right. this is actually happening, but it shoulda started less incognito, full scale, and earlier.

why them and not others?

ahhhhh I overstand. good point. I read in the NY times a while ago about how most businesses within the japanese market remain domestic for cultural reasons and some despite the demand...no idea personally. again i may not be savvy in this area, but being that EG is under the Nepenthes umbrella and seem to have gained a great deal of notoriety worldwide especially considering the demand for "americana" currently, who else is more lucrative in that market? just curious...

ahhhhh I overstand. good point. I read in the NY times a while ago about how most businesses within the japanese market remain domestic for cultural reasons and some despite the demand...no idea personally. again i may not be savvy in this area, but being that EG is under the Nepenthes umbrella and seem to have gained a great deal of notoriety worldwide, who else is more lucrative? just curious...

not sure about the cultural reasons thing, cause every jap company i know personally and thru network circles wanna b intl. jap brands usually only stay domestic outta necessity. no matter the culture who wouldn't wanna sell over seas? anyway i don't think this should be applied to chain select shops/discussion. the idea of them in america that is. they have the money, power, fashun connects, all the necessary resources to do so.

who is more lucrative? beams for one. the company is a powerhouse. in america they'd kill.

I totally agree that BEAMS would smash it in certain cities in the states... their team is pretty much unbeatable... BUT they may run into more practical/pragmatic issues with their philosophy... BEAMS has always been a one stop shop catered specifically for the Japanese - items of clothing that they are down for, sizing that fits them (collabs are more often than not resized for their market), their buyers KNOW what the Japanese want... now would they transpose this concept the states - identifying what the market wants, or would they just be slanging product 'via' Japan? The later may create some issues for one, bloody sizing may be an issue, for the market they would wish to penetrate into. Shit's too short for most westerners.

I'm gonna shut up.

I totally agree that BEAMS would smash it in certain cities in the states... their team is pretty much unbeatable... BUT they may run into more practical/pragmatic issues with their philosophy... BEAMS has always been a one stop shop catered specifically for the Japanese - items of clothing that they are down for, sizing that fits them (collabs are more often than not resized for their market), their buyers KNOW what the Japanese want... now would they transpose this concept the states - identifying what the market wants, or would they just be slanging product 'via' Japan? The later may create some issues for one, bloody sizing may be an issue, for the market they would wish to penetrate into. Shit's too short for most westerners.

I'm gonna shut up.

i know what you're saying, but beams has the entire array. boy, gallery, select, etc. many different types of beams shops selling different types of merchandise. for example revolving t shirt shop's tees are specifically made for those shops. just print shit on american bodies. beams is at the point that they can muscle foreign labels. if they had one supershop that embodied all the different beams shops under one roof that had a select line of products specifically for americans (they would have to be researched and ob field tested) outta their huge armada, they would make it. certain shit via japland, others (from other countries) specifically for their "american mega select shop" monopoly...uh what else? maybe books and shit. not saying that they should export the beams original line, cause japanese don't even buy that shit (unless they like in hs).

78 - good point. friend of mine was in Japan recently and mind you we are what is considered a bit above average being over 6 foot and weighing at a whopping 170-200 lbs - and my homie who is fairly slim, a bit tall could not fit anything in beams. Everything was nice, but nothing fit.

jmatsu - I agree. I guess time will tell for that matter. in terms of sizing, didnt Uniqlo have to make that necessary transition when they arrived. i cant imagine they sell the same in sizing in jp as they do here.

78 - good point. friend of mine was in Japan recently and mind you we are what is considered a bit above average being over 6 foot and weighing at a whopping 170-200 lbs - and my homie who is fairly slim, a bit tall could not fit anything in beams. Everything was nice, but nothing fit.

jmatsu - I agree. I guess time will tell for that matter. in terms of sizing, didnt Uniqlo have to make that necessary transition when they arrived. i cant imagine they sell the same in sizing in jp as they do here.

i don't know about uniqlo, but they obviously modified their cuts, or simply produced the necessary sizes for nonjap customers.

anyway i think we are getting alittle bit away from the point. jap chain select shop in america. uniqlo just making and slangin their own shit.

and what beams store did you guys go into? there was definitely something you guys coulda fit.