Mouldy jeans

PurpleElmo

Hey guys,

It's a bit of an odd one....

I've been travelling SE Asia for the last few months and picked up some new standards in Singapore as I was having withdrawals from jeans. Anyway, they must have got damp in my pack as they've started to go mouldy, not good. I'm guessing I'm going to have to wash them which is a pain as they've only had about two months light wear :(

Has anyone got any ideas or experience of this? I've never come across it before. Do you reckon it'll need a hot wash to kill the mould?

edit - If this should be in the small questions thread could a mod merge it in, apologies, I didn't think till after

Damn it's funny, my other clothes get battered and are fine, take care of the jeans and mould happens :rolleyes:

happend to me before too! how do you guys living in humid countries like singapore and malaysia keep ur jeans from getting moudly? i just got caught in the rain once n mine started getting mouldy:eek:.. not bringing any of mine over there during the summer holidays

happend to me before too! how do you guys living in humid countries like singapore and malaysia keep ur jeans from getting moudly? i just got caught in the rain once n mine started getting mouldy:eek:.. not bringing any of mine over there during the summer holidays

well i dont live in asia but i live in a fairly humid part of florida and ive never had any problems with mold. it rains almost everyday and my jeans have gotten quite damp. i never dry them in the dryer or anything... i just wear them inside until they are dry. also, i have air conditiong in my apartment, so just cuz it is humid outside, doesnt mean it is inside ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Apologies for it taking me ages to reply. Ok, after being unable to get some clear vinegar easily I opted for the dry cleaning a few days ago. I couldn't find a dry cleaners in Saigon and it was another week or so after I left there before I was in a big city again.

I was in the British embassy in Phnom Penh dealing with visa issues and ended up asking one of the staff where they got their stuff done. So I took the jeans there and got them cleaned and they're fine now, so a definate cure if they have a fair covering of mould and a spot clean won't do it is dry cleaning. They have lost the raw sheen/harshness to some degree but it's fine.

Someone earlier mentioned that mould would rot the jeans - I hadn't really realised that (which is a bit daft) and if I had I would have made more of an effort to get it off quicker, they're fine however after about a month of it.

Someone mentioned a correlation between mould and low post count - I can see the thinking behind it but I've been wearing dry jeans for a couple of years. Me not posting is down to me not having much worthwhile to say before and a damp pack, confined space and unwashed jeans just don't seem to mix very well rather than a schoolboy error on my part.

Febreeze anti-bacterial - I reckon it ould help stop it, I use it on my jeans back at home when needed and with the humidity out here it wouldn't be a bad idea.

So to all, thanks for the help, without it, god know's what would have happened. Now I have a pair of jeans I can wear which is good, it's easy to get bored of shorts and flip-flops.

If anyone wants to ask me anything about it feel free, I'm happy to help :)

When I get home maybe I'll finally get some pics of my ironhearts up...

These are the worldtour ones that got lost by the airline right?

Link to more info/whole story???

Story and pictures go from the bottom of page 28 to the middle/bottom of page 29 on the world wide denim project thread. I also put up some pictures of gorillas and stuff that I saw while I was wearing them.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=28744&page=28&highlight=world+wide+denim+project

Here's the full post-wash photo set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theetruscan/sets/72157602100181781/

Some pics of the jeans in africa:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theetruscan/sets/72157601092223277/