The Best Jeans in the Planet (according to GQ) bleh!

john11f

comment from a user for the APC -

"These are not the best raw jeans, because they are not raw, they are one-wash (preshrunk.) There are many other arguably better raw denim jeans such as those made by: Samurai, Sugar Cane, Iron Army, The Flat Head, Eternal, Pure Blue Japan, etc."

Ridiculous. All those Japanese jeans cost much more than the NS, and the only one in its price point there is Iron Army which is one of the shittiest, ugliest brands out there.

When all is said and done, with price/value, availability, fit, and quality is concerned APC NS is worthy of being #1. Its a modern classic that shits all over many jeans twice its price.

"These are not the best raw jeans, because they are not raw, they are one-wash (preshrunk.) There are many other arguably better raw denim jeans such as those made by: Samurai, Sugar Cane, Iron Army, The Flat Head, Eternal, Pure Blue Japan, etc."

Ridiculous. All those Japanese jeans cost much more than the NS, and the only one in its price point there is Iron Army which is one of the shittiest, ugliest brands out there.

When all is said and done, with price/value, availability, fit, and quality is concerned APC NS is worthy of being #1. Its a modern classic that shits all over many jeans twice its price.

Well, this person does hold back a little by saying 'arguably'

I do sort of agree though that APC is in a different league from Sugar Cane, Samurai, The Flat Head, Eternal and others. For a lot of people really into high quality denim I think that price doesn't come into it as much.

I first thought about this view of price/value when I started getting into high fidelity audio, but even though New Standards are much more inexpensive, I would still pay 300 dollars for Flat Heads because that's the denim I like. Personally, I value quality way over getting even an amazing deal.

This is all, just like any list of 'best jeans to ever be constructed ever,' very subjective. These GQ editors look for different things in their denim products than you or I.

I highly doubt that the masses will ever buy in to the idea of dry denim and it's wear. Most people will either give up or be disgusted at the thought of not washing their jeans on a weekly basis.

I couldn't agree more. Most people I talk to are simply disgusted that "I still have three months left until the first wash of my jeans". AND I Febreeze them too.

i think its mainly because of its slim cutting (which GQ is always blabbing on and on these days) and the fact that its a French brand and has no funky patches embroidery on the ass, little to minimum design. Which is why I like it too. I hate those embroidery on the back pocket of your ass that goes like ''look at ME!!!!"

http://men.style.com/theupgrader/style/hotlist/denim?orderBy=TOP&page=1

We wouldn't want our jeans to be listed here but APC made it. Could it be the start of mainstream for raw?

Dior Homme seems like one of the most talked about brands on here too. And Earnest Sewns are great, don't get enough love here becuase they aren't foreign and exotic. 501 is obviously a classic.

The first page is a pretty good list, as far as these things go.

la guy swears by the indestructibility of apc, and i am inclined to believe him

i agree that this list isn't all that bad

there's actually a lot of other good stuff besides what's already been mentioned: 5ep, r&b, spurr, prps, rogan, corpus, helmut

and they sort of mention lvc

I'd agree with that. I've had mine for almost two years now and still no holes. Granted, they've taken a backseat to fancier pairs I've purchased since, but still.

idk.

i had a pair of levis 501 stf that i wore much hardr and the crotch is intact.

my apcs are ready to blow alreadt.

Interesting... The model pics of the NS and Diors look baggy as hell. But for a "mainstream-big name" publication list, it's not bad...could be worst.

As to whether if this is the beginning of the end and the start of the bastardization of uber-denim. Relax. Most people that will buy jeans b/c of reading those articles will only buy them for the dark denim appeal/color and b/c it was in a popular mag/pub.

They'll most likely wash them regularly after every 2-3 weeks any ways, not really "getting" the special intrigue that comes with raw denim, regardless of directions. So no worries.

Those Diors look like your average mall jeans in their pic. And I'll agree that the reason raw is gaining momentum in the media actually has little to do with it being raw. They mention creating your own wear, but like everyone's already said, most people won't do it; they buy for the deep colour. I know nearly all my friends are utterly confused that I haven't washed my denim.

Overall a pretty good list though, interesting to see the Ed picks don't include the APC's at all.

I'm neg repping soonami for his uneducated comments on another website. Is this wrong? If he's going to go around spouting shit he should be informed. You have to wash all those Japanese jeans before you wear them hence making them "one-wash".

I'm neg repping soonami for his uneducated comments on another website. Is this wrong? If he's going to go around spouting shit he should be informed. You have to wash all those Japanese jeans before you wear them hence making them "one-wash".

Was he talking about APC being one-wash? If so, they're not...they're sanforized, making them "preshrunk". You have to wash/soak raw jeans that aren't sanforized...onewash just means the initial wash/soak was done for you.

Was he talking about APC being one-wash? If so, they're not...they're sanforized, making them "preshrunk". You have to wash/soak raw jeans that aren't sanforized...onewash just means the initial wash/soak was done for you.

Yes he was and yes you are correct about that. He also goes on to state that while APC is "one-wash" and should be excluded that brands like Samurai should be included even though they must be wash/soaked before wearing. It's amazing how many people lack basic reading comprehension.

edit: to explain that first quote from headcoat is actually soonami's post on mens style.