The French Language

captain5640

this pertains to all languages but....it is imperative that you study it every single fucking day. Unless your linguistically talented (some people can pick up languages insanely fast) you need that daily exposure to get good at it. There's a reason (at least at my school) why language classes meet 5 times a week.

to learn any new language brush up or actually learn english grammar or whatever language is native to you.

get media in french (read francophone news online, read Le Petit Prince, watch a ton of french movies, read/study the poetry, listen to french music, blahblahblah--it's easier because the french and francophones produce/d stuff that doesn't suck).

learn songs and poems for pronunciation, voca, and grammar or just to appreciate the beauty of the language.

Tip: Learn Spanish instead.

Haha that's what a lot of people have said.

Keagan, what do you do that helps you learn it on your own? Pretty much everyone I have talked to had said that French is the hardest romance language to learn.

I've started watching movies in French and listening to music. What are some interesting websites that I can check out? Possibly in the area of fashion or music?

ahhh

Michel Thomas. It really does work.. and I watch A LOT of foreign (mainly french) films- like one or two a day if i've got the time. I am almost to the point where I don't really have to look at the subtitles only for a few difficult words.

Music doesn't seem to help though. For example I've listened to serge gainsbourg since I was like 9 I never picked up on a single word. Maybe that was just meememememememeeeemememee.

French is one, if not, the hardest language to speak and write well but definitely not the hardest to use at a basic level. In other words you'll make progress quickly but might never reach near-fluency. We love hearing you try to understand why you fucked up up by saying "le table" instead of "la table" so keep on keeping on.

French is one, if not, the hardest language to speak and write well but definitely not the hardest to use at a basic level. In other words you'll make progress quickly but might never reach near-fluency. We love hearing you try to understand why you fucked up up by saying "le table" instead of "la table" so keep on keeping on.

Absolument. That's the whole point, if you know a language somewhat based on Latin, French is not too hard to learn. Fluency is another problem, and unless you spend quite some time in a Francophone country, you'll never get it. As Fuuma's avatar suggests it, watch some Godard movies. That might help you. If not, that won't make you any dumber.

hmmm really...?

you sure they don't come from the same roots?

shaping up to be a new pearlnecklace..

what the hail is pearlnecklace

or who is it :confused:

someone inform me pls.

//

I forgot what the language is called

but it's a mixture of french n spanish.

anyone know?

I've been exposed to french through my mom

and I grew up in southern california so spanish came to me *almost* naturally

To be very honest, I got slaughtered through 3 semesters of French and I ended up with an A and two B's, but I don't remember shit. The conjugation killed me. If you study forever and go to every class, do all the homework, and watch and read French, you'll be great. If you do a few of those things, you'll survive. If you try to skate by doing one or two (or none), you won't know what the hell is going on. I fall into the doing two of those things category.

what the hail is pearlnecklace

or who is it :confused:

someone inform me pls.

//

I forgot what the language is called

but it's a mixture of french n spanish.

anyone know?

I've been exposed to french through my mom

and I grew up in southern california so spanish came to me *almost* naturally

i know basque is a region where the people are part spanish and french (mainly spanish) and bilbao is a large city in spain that is also in the basque area and are inhabited by mainly these people. maybe the basque language is what you're thinking of?