Australians on superfuture?

dumadiscount

hey, any of you aussie blokes remember this ex-footy player that started a brand in melbs about a year ago....that guy was funny....

fosters? i saw a few neon signs in melbourne pubs, but no one ever drank there....maybe cause fosters is the piss of the fucking earth....i even heard here in the states its not the same beer....its like bud or coors re-branded.......

i wish america imported stella like you cats....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Quote:

hm i agree tsubi is played out like a mf, but i still like them. the problem is what are the alternatives?

wow didnt realise there were this many aussies on sf. :D

question for the sydney peeps - anyone know if the lvc 1947 501xx is available at the levis flagship in the city?

Edited by dumadiscount on Aug 11, 2005 at 03:35 PM

--- Original message by dumadiscount on Aug 11, 2005 03:33 PM

Signing in. Aussie expat in JP. man I need a decent steak and a Crownie right now...

LVC 1947? I got the japan market LVC 44s (nicer than the US market ones?) at SP1 store in Victoria Galleries..levis flag store had shit all at the time, some US LVC - boring stuff. Try SP1.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Did anyone catch Ian Brown in Sydney on the 5th Jan? Was farkin' awesome.......King Monkey rocked, 4 Stone Roses songs..........he was wearing a Bapesta T-Shirt and selling the Camo/Bape/Ian Brown face style tees at the gig 35 nic

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Shud watch out for

....and their australian labels which is even better

Material Boy: Edgy, Brave streetwear

Mjolk: Preppy yet funky and cool streetwear

these guys seriously rock ass

check them out in the future!!!!!

all this love, saved up for nothin...!

Edited by armardo on Jan 11, 2006 at 08:16 PM

Melbourne all the way.

Im not entirely sure about PAM, when the label first started it had allot going for it, but now it lacks originality its really really poor quality stuff, especialy for the price. I wouldn't rate Perks all that highly as an artist either, he just pumps out design cliches like dear heads on vintage illistrations and so on, especialy when you compare him to other melbourne artists such as Merda and Phibs who are 100% original and by an equal denomination more talented. Perks has even recently ripped off the cheap mondays logo for his new range, which is a bit rough.

PAM's store Someday is mad though.

Suicide in Hollywood is fresh, and has just found a major investor so, it'll be really big soon.

http://www.suicideinhollywood.com/index.asp

What about Australian stores, what are your thought?

Melbourne has a list of insane artists aswell, like Bonsai. Has anyone here come accross his stuff?

Edited by Koan on Jan 12, 2006 at 02:51 AM

Koan, I wouldnt write off PAM yet. Perks biting the Cheap Monday logo? Everything has influences. Suicide in Hollywood seems pretty heavily influenced by powell perelta ya know.

To me SIH seems like another `art tee` label, which there are too many of imo. the difference with PAM is that its a full range even including some mad bags and accessories. the quality of PAMs full range rivals that of major NYC, London and Tokyo players and its coming from a small city in a small country so pretty impressive right?...I havent seen the latest PAM range so cant comment on the quality but everything Ive seen so far has been on point.

//edited for spelling.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Jan 12, 2006 at 04:23 AM

Edited by MilSpex on Jan 12, 2006 at 04:59 AM

Yeah true, its not such a bad label, the designs can be cool. I have bits and pieces from each range.

But it has started producing in China and there are small thing which set it apart quality wise from other brands such as ones stocked ats own store, Someday. Such as the fact that its produced exclusively in China, and using lighter fleece, and cheap trims for example. I mean even globe use YYK zips, for the price that PAM retails at, i'd expect RiRi, wouldn't you?

PAM has its strong points, some of the designs are interesting and like you said growing to the level it has, has inspired allot young designer.

However unfortunately Perks isn't supportive of the local graphic design and fashion scene, in "untitled" a book put out by Street Wear Today and Lodown he described the local scene as "Being in Australia is like being in solitary. Or a remote wilderness" and "We are pretty much on our own, I guess being here by ourselves drives us to make a world for ourselves. We named it 'foveverland'".

The naff aspect of the last statement aside, It pretty insulting, especially considering that his home town is filled with so much talent, like Kano, Phibs, Marcsta, Puzle and Merda to name a few. These are all people he knows pretty well and is well aware of.

So on one hand you can say that he's contributing to Melbourne by serving as an positive example for others, especially through his association with One Gram and the international market he has attained. However on the other hand he has marketed himself as being the only designer in Melbourne. Which is harmful to the development of his community, and has lead to most artists in Melbourne and Australia not wanting anything to do with him. He could be using his connections to really help develop our scene.

As for the cheap Mondays logo, it’s not a carbon copy, however hes totally bitten the concept. I think the fact that it’s a skull with an upside-down cross on its forehead is sort of a spooky co-incidence.

I don’t hate the brand don’t get me wrong however, you have to consider the above points.

Yeah true, its not such a bad label. It has started producing in China however and there are small thing which set it apart quality wise from other brands such as ones stocked at Someday, such as being produced exclusively in China, and using lighter fleece and cheap trimming for example. I mean even globe use YYK zips.

PAM has its strong points, some of the designs are interesting and like you said growing to the level it has, has inspired allot young designer.

However unfortunately Perks isn't supportive of the local graphic design and fashion scene, in "untitled" a book put out by Street Wear Today and Lodown he described the local scene as "Being in Australia is like being in solitary. Or a remote wilderness" and "We are pretty much on our own, I guess being here by ourselves drives us to make a world for ourselves. We named it 'foveverland'".

The naff aspect of the last statement aside, It pretty insulting, especially considering that his home town is filled with so much talent, like Kano, Phibs, Marcsta and Merda to name a few. All people he knows pretty well and is well aware of.

So on one hand you can say that he's contributing to Melbourne by serving as an positive example for others, especially through his association with One Gram and the international market he has attained. However on the other hand he has marketed himself as being the only designer in Melbourne. Which is harmful to the development of his community, and has lead to most artists in Melbourne and Australia not wanting anything to do with him.

As for the cheap Mondays logo, it’s not a carbon copy, however hes totally bitten the concept. I think the fact that it’s a skull with an upside-down cross on its forehead is sort of a spooky co-incidence.

I don’t hate the brand but you have to consider the above points.

Its really has two sides.

Edited by Koan on Jan 12, 2006 at 05:19 AM

I'm from Melbourne.

I'm feeling some of the smaller labels. There's a melbourne based brand "Syke" I used to like alot. I was digging their stuff a year or two back but not really feeling there last few seasons.

Just picked up a dope tee yesterday from this label "Benjamin Nicholas" which is apparently new out of Brisbane.

Tsubi is pretty overplayed. The jeans can look good, but too oversaturated and from what I've heard the quality definately does not warrant the price. I don't mind Nobody jeans if you're after a prewashed jean, they sell them at the denim store I work at and I reckon the girls ones look pretty fresh (definately way better than Lee etc for a comparable price). I dunno if they'll get as oversaturated as Tsubi, but I see similar problems for them. Mainly they're relatively expensive (about $200) for a jean that won't last very long. They use really soft denim which is comfortable but holes up in the first six months and it's all down hill from. Never worn any nobodys myself though. Anyone else checked 'em out?

from melbourne...

took a recent trip to sydney for the weekend, mannn i thought they played tsubi out over here, those bang gang fools are all over the place, everybody looks the damn same!

tsubi is definately overrated, they SOMETIMES can look good, but i'd rather pay that price for an italian, japanese or even american made jean than a piece of shit, overprocessed pair of pants those fools try to pass off! the quality of them is noooo where near what it should be...and for those ppl in london who are paying upwards of GBP 200 for them i feel sorry for you!

favourite australian labels? don't really have any worth mentioning (in terms of streetwear), NOBODY used to do fantastic things a few years back, i think they may have lost their touch of late tho, still make nice products tho! Pani also used to produce very artistic and well designed pieces in limited numbers a while ago, a litte more mainstream now tho.

in all seriousness, it is very hard to find an australian designed piece of clothing that stands out from the crowd in terms of originality. I think that aussie designers need to get off the 'trash bag' tip and realise its over!! there isn't much around here, and what you can sometimes find that looks original in our eyes, has usually been ripped off from some international label thinking that noone in oz would have any idea about it....

hate to rag on aussie designers, but really, i would rather take a trip to europe, asia or the states and spend my cash there!

Try it, you'll like it!

Edited by yen_kid0 on Jan 18, 2006 at 12:04 AM

• 1 month later...

from Melbourne...

agree with Armado there - Mjolk is a cool label. Their pants look super tight though - even on the skinny legs of the male models....has anyone worn his stuff? My cousin has two of their jackets - they're fantastic.

Claude Maus is a good aussie label too. and Toni Maticevski is amazing.

Quote:

I don't mind Nobody jeans if you're after a prewashed jean, they sell them at the denim store I work at and I reckon the girls ones look pretty fresh (definately way better than Lee etc for a comparable price). I dunno if they'll get as oversaturated as Tsubi, but I see similar problems for them. Mainly they're relatively expensive (about $200) for a jean that won't last very long. They use really soft denim which is comfortable but holes up in the first six months and it's all down hill from. Never worn any nobodys myself though. Anyone else checked 'em out?

--- Original message by chapital on Jan 17, 2006 05:11 PM

Where do you work, if you don't mind saying?

Another Melbournian checking in.

Tsubi looks good on some people, but I've never seen a cut/wash combo that I really had to have - and I'm a 'relaxed flare' kind of guy, anyway, which they never seem to make.

I went to Bobby's Cuts the other day to check out Mjolk - I think I mentioned this over on SA, but I wasn't all that impressed with the denim. Kind of flat, not really any depth of color or texture in the weave - they just felt like those old jeans you see in the op shops.

Imperial looks pretty good - it'd be nice if they were actually sold in Melbourne, or if they answered my e-mails.

Do Material Boy, PAM, Schwipe have websites?

I agree with the above posters that a lot of Aus designers seem to be copying overseas designers and hoping we won't notice.

NB: I saw some Hard Yakka unsanforized rigid selvage jeans the other day on Smith St. icon_smile_shock.gif

Edited by Nick M on Feb 19, 2006 at 11:39 PM

• 1 month later...

greetings from perth!

i'm not really into many australian designers for 'streetwear' as such.

i can't stand material boy - to me their designs try too hard, they look tired and almost cliche. it'll be interesting to see how he/they evolves as a label - there isn't really any longevity in the look they are currently pushing imo.

i'm a fan of calibre, AG arthur galan, andysoma, c people, mjolk, josh goot, oroton.

some of the bigger labels - morissey, saba, marcs - are good for basics.

http://www.myspace.com/eleventhhereacheslondon

http://www.myspace.com/fooltheworld