Dry Denim at H&M... its coming

TrappedInDC

I just wandered into the H&M "Flagship" Store on F St. in Washington DC and spotted *gasp* dry denim. There's a new denim line, &denim, in store as a pre-release. The full line shows up Sept 15, 2005, but what they had was interesting to say the least. I guess the LOGG jeans are discontinued.

The pair I examined closest was regular fit fake selvedge. It was in a dry, but not quite fully starched state, with orange thread. The workers had done a little rubbing and creasing here and there. The indigo looks like it’s not set in there very well, and of course its risen to the surface in a few places. There were pairs with extra details on the pockets, plain pockets, extra rivets, etc. I guess H&M is gonna hit the low end of the market pretty hard.

I've only got my 3mo old Nudie Dry Regular Ralphs and a pair of Levi's 501xx to compare em to, but the quality is no-where near as good. They seemed really lightweight in comparison, with a low quality indigo treatment. Who knows though, maybe they'd break in and fade in an interesting way.

There were also some blue and black slim fit dry jeans there, with a completely unnecessary crease going on. The slim fits weren't fake selvedge. There seemed to be lots of one wash jeans there as well in slim, regular, boot cut, etc. Lotsa different kinds of distressed jeans as well for those of you who like em abused for you. And this was just in the men’s section, I didn't venture over to the women’s section, but see below.

There seemed to be jeans and jean jackets all over the store, men’s & women’s, with an "ATTENTION" sticker on them warning of bleeding and smurfing (no they didn't mention smurfing). There's even a long yellow tag on the back of the dry pairs was a warning about sitting on white couches.

I'm sorry I didn't snag any pictures with the camera phone, I was in a bit of a shock, maybe Monday if someone requests it.

I can however see peeps buying them at $39.99 each. I'm not talking about the superfuture denim freaks, but maybe a select few in the unwashed, or is that overwashed and processed, masses. Personally I'll wait until Uniqlo opens up in Jersey and snag a few pairs over there.

Just wanted to warn the denim heads that the onslaught is coming... didn't ringring or someone mention J Crew Selvedge for fall?

Btw, the "Flagship" terminology is meant to describe stores that carry all the lines of clothing available in the US, so please no flames there.

-Trapped

I bought myself a pair of slimfitting jeans at HM @ 5 weeks ago, they're dry i could tell but the women in the store didnt know for sure.

After 1 hour of wearing a thread in the crotch had broken so i had to sticht it back again.

Now after 5 weeks of heavy wearing they've got a nice fade goin on, and they are still in one piece!

The thing i didn't like in the beginning is thats 1%lycra so its a bit stretchy:/ That made me feel like a women the first 3 days. Now im okay though. I accutally like them, cuz they where so cheap.

you can already by washed selvage jeans on jcrew.com for 125 bucks. it baffles me why they'd want to release selvage in their first try without the dry variety. i have a feeling selvage is coming in a big way. it's been getting a lot of press lately. thing is, most people won't have the patient to properly break in a pair of dry selvage jeans. so, this trend will probably come and gone in a year or two.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

club monaco fake selvedge will drop this fall too. HOORAY all the outlet malls in suburbia with club monaco stores will make sure to spread the trend.

looks like selvedge (or fake selvedge) will become widespread so i think we should go and start a new denimhead trend: high high high waisted jeans (like a 13 inch rise) with extra saggy baggy ass (i call it the mom cut). we can cuff the legs like 6 inchesand wear white tubesocks and black loafers. who.s with me?

Some call it being conceited, I call it seeing the truth.

Quote:

club monaco fake selvedge will drop this fall too. HOORAY all the outlet malls in suburbia with club monaco stores will make sure to spread the trend.

looks like selvedge (or fake selvedge) will become widespread so i think we should go and start a new denimhead trend: high high high waisted jeans (like a 13 inch rise) with extra saggy baggy ass (i call it the mom cut). we can cuff the legs like 6 inchesand wear white tubesocks and black loafers. who.s with me?

--- Original message by OhSoStylish on Aug 6, 2005 10:10 AM

you're on your own with this one man. a one man march toward the steve urkel trend.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

h&m always had awful denim, but occasionally they a have few gems as far as accessories and jackets. Their dry denim that I saw last week at 34th street has really bad wear marks, like perfect X creases on both legs up and down. Looked like a pair of pelle pelle jeans but in a normal size.

club monaco usually makes decent stuff. Alot of their stuff reminds me of United Arrows, Beams, and Ships. I hit their sales racks once a month in the suburbs of Jersey and LI cus guidos usually have totally different tastes than me and my wife do and we find great stuff in the 5-20 dollar range. Hopefully dry denim makes it to the sales rack.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, I just picked up a pair last weekend. For $40 the seem like a good pair of jeans. I had to go all the way up to 31 just to get into a pair, that's how tight they are. I'm think about going back and trying on a pair of 32s, but I just might do it to see how they fit. If anyone wants to see some pictures of them, just let me know. Also should I go for the 32s becasue of the shrink factor or just stick with the 31s? I'm normally a 29 waist by the way.

Edited by weirdnjfan1 on Apr 24, 2006 at 07:08 PM