Radiohead - In Rainbows

10(50)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'm overstepping when I say that this is my favorite Radiohead album, taking over Kid A. But I also think, objectively, it's their best album.

The only thing I have against it are that it isn't as cohesive, or arranged as nicely as the past albums. But as a collection of songs, I really can't find any weak points. I could listen to any of these songs with pleasure.

If they wanted to bow out with this album, it would be a way to go.

No way, I'm on my first run through, but Kid A was way more epic. I'll definitely need a couple more run throughs to really decide what I think of it, but I doubt it'll topple Kid A.

I wish it were a higher bitrate though :(

I see you what mean when you say stripped down, but at the same time, it's just so lush - all these songs have such intense stereo landscapes, pushing and pulling underneath thom as he mumbles (which he's doing alot on this album lol).

and regarding the bitrate, I'm quite the audiphile, and this is the finest 160kbps encoding I've ever heard. It sounds like gold.

nigel goodrich = god.

Well in pushing the guitars back in the mix with the stereo field + DSP the intensity is immediately stripped back, and the other main guitar sound is a very clean tone. Overall the album has a very cohesive sound with far sparser instrumentation than previous recordings.

By comparison, Hail to the Thief bombards you with almost everything up front, in your face, guitars fighting against drums fighting against vocals, etcetera.

The 160kbps mp3 sounds fine on my Fostex monitors, incidentally... obviously lacking the top end that you get at 192+, but it's well encoded and doesn't sound gritty.

so without having to give cuts to a record label, stores, taxes, etc... would it be crazy to assume that they (the band) could make more than they've made off any other record? not that it matters... just interesting. some people could be giving 20, 30, 40, 50... radiohead has a lot of passionate fans... some could even be giving more.

Hmm, too bad I decided to wait til the CD is released.... it's mighty tempting.

So is it less weird-electronic than Hail To the Thief then? While I don't mind that too much, I kind of miss the rock side of Radiohead.

so for those who have it (im still torn over whether to wait for the CD or to get it now), how is the audio quality, because its apparently 160kps, which is just a step up from standard mp3 quality. anyone have any thoughts on this?

i figure ill buy it sometime tonight. a good round $5.56 sounds good.

so for those who have it (im still torn over whether to wait for the CD or to get it now), how is the audio quality, because its apparently 160kps, which is just a step up from standard mp3 quality. anyone have any thoughts on this?

i figure ill buy it sometime tonight. a good round $5.56 sounds good.

128kbps hasn't been standard mp3 quality since like 2003, and with good reason. Shit sounds fucking awful on speakers with good treble reproduction.

As said on like page 2, the audio quality is excellent for 160kbps, but then it's probably burnt straight from Pro Tools with a pro quality encoder so it bloody well should be.

It's a standard LAME encode, nothing special. I'm not going to make any comments on the quality until I hear the actual CD for comparison, but there's some definite artifacting on a few tracks that may or may not be intentional. And I don't know if you guys have read Johnny Greenwood's comments on the quality of the rip, but they seemed kind of ignorant to me-

How would you respond to complaints about the sound quality – that 160 isn’t a high enough bitrate?

I don’t know, we talked about it and we just wanted to make it a bit better than iTunes, which it is, so that’s kind of good enough, really. It’s never going to be CD quality, because that’s what CD does.

Anyway, I only listened through the album once so far so it's a little early to form opinions about it, but I can definitely see it growing on me.