how NOT to buy: advanced techniques and strategies

1. find another item in your wardrobe that is similar to your object of desire
  2. look at your bank statement (this won't work for everyone)
  3. look at your credit card statement (will not work for everyone)
  4. is it priced at full retail? then pass
  5. does someone you know have something similar? another reason to pass
  6. if the item is not available for you to try on, convince yourself that trying it on is essential
  7. say to yourself that you are not the ________ (< item you want in blank) type of person; e.g. i am passing on that warehouse hoodie b/c i'm just not a hoodie-type person
  8. if the item is second hand, think of possible louses, lices, and dandruffs
  9. if the item is on supermarket, think of all the potential scammers
  10. tell yourself its a fake

GO!

just the shipping price to canada in most online sites makes me not want to buy.. + here we have like 2 stores that sell SF stuff.. so i am too lazy to drive an hour to the stores...

i only buy on ebay when shipping is dirt cheap or when i travel back to Tokyo or Hong Kong

i use the stickies app on my mac and made a sticky titled "shit to buy:" whenever i feel like i wanna buy something, i add it to the list. the items on the list are in order of priority/need. after a while things get deleted when i realize there are better things to spend my money on. if an item stays on the list for a long time i end up buying it.

my current list: (the active part is cuz active is having a 30% off sale)

shittobuyy.jpg

i thought the thread was gonna be about "how you shouldn't buy" as opposed to how to not buy ... which is how the thread is unfolding.

anywayssssss the person that said to stay in supertrash is mostly right. unfortunately waywt chat ed is in there too.

just keep telling yourself that youre fat and not thin enough for sufu. that'll teach ya, unless youre nominated in this thread

1. find another item in your wardrobe that is similar to your object of desire
  2. look at your bank statement (this won't work for everyone)
  3. look at your credit card statement (will not work for everyone)
  4. is it priced at full retail? then pass
  5. does someone you know have something similar? another reason to pass
  6. if the item is not available for you to try on, convince yourself that trying it on is essential
  7. say to yourself that you are not the ________ (< item you want in blank) type of person; e.g. i am passing on that warehouse hoodie b/c i'm just not a hoodie-type person
  8. if the item is second hand, think of possible louses, lices, and dandruffs
  9. if the item is on supermarket, think of all the potential scammers
  10. tell yourself its a fake

GO!

If I did all that, I'd never buy clothes again.

Anyone here a good tailor/seamstress (seamster?)? I bet if you know how to make youre own clothes, you could copy what you wanna buy and save a shitload of cash.

if it's expensive, tell yourself a single article of clothing is not worth that much

if it's cheap, tell yourself it will fall apart in the wash

ebay? tell yourself there are too many scammers out there.

ask yourself, two years from now, am i still going to be happy with this purchase?

ask yourself, is it versatile? does it go with things i already own or will i have to purchase entire new outfits to make this one article of clothing work?

graphic design? tell yourself it's tacky/cheesy/novelty

solid? tell yourself it's too plain

i use the stickies app on my mac and made a sticky titled "shit to buy:" whenever i feel like i wanna buy something, i add it to the list. the items on the list are in order of priority/need. after a while things get deleted when i realize there are better things to spend my money on. if an item stays on the list for a long time i end up buying it.

my current list: (the active part is cuz active is having a 30% off sale)

shittobuyy.jpg

Thats an awesome idea...im going to start doing that.

This is a good topic.

Thing is, when you desire something so bad and finally end up getting it. After awhile you want to move on to bigger and better things. This is what causes you to spend more. It's really an endless cycle of buying, you as a person will never be satisfied with what you have, especially if you are on this forum.