Style Tips from Marc Ecko

thedonger

Because I know you all love and respect the man....

swiped... http://men.style.com/details/features/full?id=content_2964

1. A great jacket should have details in the construction. My grandfather was a tailor. He taught me that you should be able to turn it inside out, take out the lining, and still come out with something beautiful.

2. Don’t underestimate color. Most men think about making their pocket square match their tie. Go further than that—think about making the face of your watch match the laces on your shoes.

3. There’s a time and a place for tracksuits. If I’m traveling, I’ll wear one in first class. But you won’t see me trying to get into a club in that shit. Unless you’re in Sardinia, then you can wear it anywhere. The concept of tracksuits as casual and urban is a purely American perspective. We think of all of that stuff as “urban.â€

4. The second you are able to afford them, put a great pair of shoes in your closet. There’s nothing like having a pair of Ferragamo shoes. Makes you feel like a man.

5. It’s important not to fear seersucker, but don’t try to re-create Alan Flusser’s Dressing the Man, either. The key is to take the seriousness out of clothes. Respect history, but not in a way that’s corny.

6. There’s something suspicious about walking into a meeting with a room full of men whose eyebrows are neater than my wife’s. I pluck my eyebrows, but I’m not about to let some stranger put wax across my face.

7. I use my wife’s products. She gets this cocoa-butter lotion that I’ve been using since we met in college. You go to the real Latino pharmacies on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City and there’s this baby cologne called Powder Me Baby. It’s two dollars for a gallon bottle. That scent mixed with cocoa butter is the best smell. It reminds me of her; and there’s something very comforting about that when I travel.

8. A baseball hat is a wonderful thing, but only when you wear it right. Buy one slightly larger than the actual measurement of your head. And whatever you do, don’t curve the brim. Run it flat. It creates a line across your face that puts a nice shadow over your brow.

9. When I first started making money, I bought all of this modern furniture for my crib. It looks beautiful from a sculptural point of view, but then you realize, it’s not fucking comfortable.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't know shit about shit.

He bought "modern furniture" that someone else told him to buy. Thinks he's the style master 'cause he could afford to hire guys from "hip euro brands" to design his cut and sew line.

He used to run only ecko velour hook ups until he realised that all the kids who worked for him would never rock Ecko and were way more up on shit than he was. Switched to Rogans, flat fronts and button ups.

Uses terms like "hood factor".

His company has currently shot itself in the foot by over expanding, hiring too many people with inflated egos and even bigger saliries and over expanded itself with 50 million brands.

Personally I think Marc Ecko is a genius. He was the first person to really do function fowadr urban wear. Right before and after the name changed from ECHO to ECKO he made opssibly the best urban wear ever.

Maybe ya'll don't respect him doing more metro clothes right now, but he created an amazing group of brands that really started with a t shirt. He's basically the second ralph lauren, even though ya'll probably would rather disagree

i agree, with jjs, i remember when i first bought a echo shirt in 97, and it was fresh, eevryone like it, and seeing him, went from making t-shirt to where he is today, i think that is amazing...

and on the modern furniture part, he is right, they kind of all suck really bad...except eames lounge chair, they are so nice...

Quote:

whats up with that, are you people NOT realizing that ECKO ain't aiming at you(bitchass streets smart sup0rsh0pp0rs), its aiming at hiphoppers?

Funny thing is, he is amining at "us". Kids who used to work there are pretty clued up. Uses Reas for his cut and sew line. Kaws in his video game. Does "limited edition" stuff like a flav clock and some crappy ass Adidas. Buys lots of "cool guy" art. More than anything he wants to be down. He's clued up on what's happing for the most part.

I actually really like some of the Cut and Sew peices. Really nice. Great details. I still can't get beyond that it's Ecko and one step removed from clown wear, Turtle.

Don't think the cut and sew line will be around all that much longer anyway. It may have to get it's head lopped like a bunch of other offshoot brands.

Edited by CL on Jul 30, 2005 at 06:31 AM

he's right about the shoe thing, bought a pair of $600 italian handmade leather shoes, cowhide, wood bottom (the whole classy shit)...only wear it to formals, weddings and big events and damn people come up to me asking about the shoes where, when, how, what...its all about the shoes.

-don't hate, appreciate-

Edited by aitsuka on Jul 30, 2005 at 08:11 PM

I'm a BIG comic book fan, so when Ecko did their Marvel line I bought them all.

I have an old "Echo" tee (pencil, mightier than the sword) that has stood the test of time style-wise and fit-wise. Mark, I give it to you, from seven shirts out of the trunk of your car to Times Square (at least, that's the story I heard). You don't get that far by making clothes that people DON'T wear.

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

My previous post had NOTHING to do with the topic, so....

1. A great jacket should have details in the construction. My grandfather was a tailor. He taught me that you should be able to turn it inside out, take out the lining, and still come out with something beautiful.

Do you mean a blazer? Winter Jacket?

2. Don’t underestimate color. Most men think about making their pocket square match their tie. Go further than that—think about making the face of your watch match the laces on your shoes.

I just bought my first pink tie to wear to a wedding. Pink socks to match. Didn't think I had the nerve.

3. There’s a time and a place for tracksuits. If I’m traveling, I’ll wear one in first class. But you won’t see me trying to get into a club in that shit. Unless you’re in Sardinia, then you can wear it anywhere. The concept of tracksuits as casual and urban is a purely American perspective. We think of all of that stuff as “urban.â€

I'm going to Sardinia, because that's my fall uniform.

4. The second you are able to afford them, put a great pair of shoes in your closet. There’s nothing like having a pair of Ferragamo shoes. Makes you feel like a man.

Rockport. nuff' said.

5. It’s important not to fear seersucker, but don’t try to re-create Alan Flusser’s Dressing the Man, either. The key is to take the seriousness out of clothes. Respect history, but not in a way that’s corny.

I plead ignorance on this one.

6. There’s something suspicious about walking into a meeting with a room full of men whose eyebrows are neater than my wife’s. I pluck my eyebrows, but I’m not about to let some stranger put wax across my face.

Couldn't agree more.

7. I use my wife’s products. She gets this cocoa-butter lotion that I’ve been using since we met in college. You go to the real Latino pharmacies on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City and there’s this baby cologne called Powder Me Baby. It’s two dollars for a gallon bottle. That scent mixed with cocoa butter is the best smell. It reminds me of her; and there’s something very comforting about that when I travel.

I'm getting a little misty. (sniff, sniff)

8. A baseball hat is a wonderful thing, but only when you wear it right. Buy one slightly larger than the actual measurement of your head. And whatever you do, don’t curve the brim. Run it flat. It creates a line across your face that puts a nice shadow over your brow.

I can't understand this flat brim thing. I'm sure it's me, but you don't see Jeter out there with a flat brim.

Baseball hats have come a long way with style and design, but there's something about bending the brim as soon as you buy it that says "This is my hat. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

9. When I first started making money, I bought all of this modern furniture for my crib. It looks beautiful from a sculptural point of view, but then you realize, it’s not fucking comfortable.

There's nothing like dad's hand-me-down Lay-Z-Boy.

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

ecko was kinda hot when their gear used to come with mixtapes

and as far as the whole fitted hat thing, i don't know where you guys are

from but not alot is fucking with a fresh fittted, nice tee, jeans, and sneakers.

obivously you'll look like a duck if you're rocking that shit with a suit, but who

am I to critique T.I.'s fashion sense.

yodel

there was a really interesting article about Marc Ecko in the new york times magazine a few weeks back... apparently the company went bankrupt until they dropped the Rhino which made them millions.

They are really looking to reinvent the Ecko brand into a more upscale, classy company- and I really dont see that happening.

www.reasonclothing.com

Quote: Fuckin Jersey kids
icon_smile_cool.gif EEAAAAAAARRLY!!!!

I think Marc Ecko can pretty much do whatever he wants. If he really wanted to he could do the Marc Jacobs thing, all he'd have to do is maybe drop the Ecko name from the clothes, because at the end of the day all it takes to make clothes is money and materials, and wen you've done so much ni fashion, like Ecko anything is possible, its just where you wanna focus your efforts

this is from an article i read:

A $25 million retail store is scheduled to open in Times Square next year.

25 MIL!!!???

He's talking all this fashion shit when I remember seeing him at Magic around 3 years ago with some beat-up cargo pants on that had a wicked dirty fray on the back cuffs, a loose track jacket on, a t-shirt, and a tight ass baseball cap, dragging around some big ass dingy bookbag. -now i dont know what style that was, but its not urban/hip-hop/b-boy/skateboard shit....he looked like a bum! -he just got bread and people around him that he leeches off of....fuck that dude...he's bad for buisness...(tryin' to tell peeps what to rock in his mag...) fuck that!!