Mad Men

JayIvory

Pete's grown on me a lot actally - he certainly was 'the foil' in the beginning but I think his character has changed quite a bit since the beginning. Also strikes me that they're writing him as less of a man-boy than they did in the beginning. I could easily see Pete solving some big issues finally at the new agency instead of causing them.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete's grown on me a lot actally - he certainly was 'the foil' in the beginning but I think his character has changed quite a bit since the beginning. Also strikes me that they're writing him as less of a man-boy than they did in the beginning. I could easily see Pete solving some big issues finally at the new agency instead of causing them.

Has he changed all that much? Aside from some more cooperation with the staff, we saw from this season that his conflict with Don just shifted to Cosgrove and that he's still hangs on to bitter sentiments with Don. Though his shit with Kenny does seem to be reasonable.

I digress, his maturity does suggest that he'll be a good team player in the development of the new firm. We'll see what happens.

On another note, how did everybody feel about this season's incorporation of historical events? Prior to this season, I read an interview with Matt Weiner about the unlikelihood of addressing the Kennedy assassination. I think it worked well with that episode, however, and I'm glad that they didn't just ignore it altogether. It lifted the viewers' sights from Don and Betty's shit if even for a minute and it was pretty interesting to see how the show would depict people's reactions to his death.

Thats why this show was so good; the way they incorporated historical events, even better than last season. The jfk episode was one of, if not the best episode of the season. And one of my favorite subtlties was I think the bombing of the bus or the three girls in the church. Betty said " I think they should hold off on civil rights right now; now is not a good time"; Betty's nanny looked at her and said nothing. The atmosphere of that scene was fucking awesome.

Probably my favorite episode was the one when the team got high. Alot of people might think that one was slow. I hope the dont get rid of that guy thats with the black girl.

that jfk ep seemed like a filler to me... i think they went a bit overkill with that shit in one episode ie mlk & birmingham.

but some shit still pisses me off... the hold on don sitting in the dark? get the fuck outta here. was definitely not feeling the ep betty confronted draper either.

anyways it was a pretty good finale, esp with orbison at the end.

that episode set up everything that happens in the finale. She got with ol dude to set something up, hammered it out, then she said @ the end that she feels nothing. Bam, finale comes, divorce styles.

I'm saying that it definitely wasn't filler when the whole episode alludes to what will happen in the finale. The englishmen is told that the company will be sold. Ol dude being @ the wedding with his daughter (how drapper finds out in the finale). I'm just saying, there was too much vital info for the episode to be filler, now if you think that throwing JFK in the mix was filler, I'd see where you are coming from but would have to disagree too.

sorry for the long winded post, I'm just passionate about this show, it's one of the few that you can actually open up a dialog about.

^ yeah

that episode set up everything that happens in the finale.

that's also why i feel it's kind of a filler; it's a setup episode... things don't really 'happen'. of course to an extent everything is drawn out over the course of the season, but it just feels too constrictive and offsets the pace of the show (which as you already know i feel has been average this season, especially early on with all the shit about betty but not gonna get into that).

just wondering, you don't think it would've been better if the audience found out at the same time as don about the sale of the firm?

first season. when the secretary was talking about his cologne and suits. its been foreshadowed the whole time.

and the bellboy doesnt offically count cause he was caught off guard. and he was outta town. hes been holding it together real well when the belle jolie guy prop'd him over dinner. and even when he was obviously falling for cosgrove over dinner with his wife. his homo-tension is one the best things in the show cause hes its always about to boil over.

• 2 months later...

bump. i got the second season on dvd 4 xmas, so i've been rewatching the entire series via torrents/dvd.

i'm actually becoming increasingly more interested in advertising since i went through the series again. all i gotta do is perform identity theft and i'm basically a don draper in-the-making

Wait, Sal's gay?!

I thought this was pretty easy to figure out since season one. if you notice, he's always making slightly "off" comments regarding male sexuality. a lot of the time you can tell the character is doing it to fit in with the rest of the hyper-masculine cast

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...