Mad Men

JayIvory

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, leave NESK alone to pat himself on the back as he pleases

or whatever mental masturbation he's getting off on when he subtly mentions he's discovered something that everyone else already knows about. That and separating himself from the general viewing public.

standard sufu response. im obviously think the show is intentionally complex, but from the people in this thread alone, you can see that its message is mostly lost. people list clothes and women as the main reasons for liking the show. maybe thats irony but i take is as a standard misreading of the shows themes. not because im elitist, but because im used to seeing a good message fly over the heads of most people. now onto more important matters.

WARE TO KOP SKINNY TIE LIKE DRAP3RZZZZZZ?

again... i don't think it's subtle at all. isn't that the whole point of the show? the depiction is historically accurate... the progression of counterculture, self awareness, racial prejudice, etc. life is pretty complex...

maybe subtle isnt what i meant. i agree that tragedy is the whole point of the show but like with most tragic characters who hide behind cool clothes and colourful dialouge, most people who watch dont necessarily see the tragedy and end up wanting to be like these guys. i got turned onto the show by a bunch of marketing guys who look at the lifestyle thats depicted and fall over themselves for it. thats where my sense of lost meaning stems from. i could try to explain it to them but they would be way too busy screaming for more titty shots to hear me.

Joan's wide ass rules like there's no tomorrow

May have to re-watch this show just for this. DD's wifey was pretty, but in that non-threatening, all-American way.

Watched the first episode when if first aired. I thought it was pretty smart how they actually integrated the commercials into the show (there was trivia about them before they showed 'em). But all that smoking, plus the fact that I was working at an ad agency that had a CD that was trapped in that era (still smoke, cigars, actually), made it fucking painful to watch.

• 1 month later...

im late on this but whatever

watched everything in a week till series 2 episode 13.

pete and draper go to a convention.

then draper gets sucked in by this beautiful young girl and gets stuck in some massively hippe comune for wealthy european inbreds.

what the hell is that about?!?

but i do like the homo (no homo)

"i make love with the men, not the women. 8?"

• 3 months later...

Season 2 is so much better than the first.

I watched both seasons in full in a matter of a week. It's so addicting.

Don Draper is a total freak during that convention he goes to with Pete.

I love how Betty finally starts becoming her own person.

Can't wait til the third season starts in the summer time.

maybe subtle isnt what i meant. i agree that tragedy is the whole point of the show but like with most tragic characters who hide behind cool clothes and colourful dialouge, most people who watch dont necessarily see the tragedy and end up wanting to be like these guys. i got turned onto the show by a bunch of marketing guys who look at the lifestyle thats depicted and fall over themselves for it. thats where my sense of lost meaning stems from. i could try to explain it to them but they would be way too busy screaming for more titty shots to hear me.

i hear what NESK is saying here I think the show isnt necessarily trying to have as much as depth as he believes, but underneath all the stylization the show contrasts the american dream with the american reality while still showing flashes of old-world glamor.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
it was so weird hearing all these homely, bearded advertising guys talking about this show and how don draper is their idol and shit last summer.

I just want to reiterate this, except now the homely, bearded advertising guys have like Don Draper and Pete Campbell as their AIM icons now (depending on if they work in creative or accounts) and actually think they ARE those guys.Terrible.