Thom Browne S/S08 NY

goldengloves

How much is that polo thought? Probably like $400 - $500, yeah? 50% (doesn't a lot of his stuff make it to at least this come sale times?) that's the same as a Dior polo full price and it's probably lightyears more impressive as far as quality goes. Not a terrible deal, but still too pricey for me.

Why do you assume its lightyears more impressive in quality? Its lightyears ahead in price for sure, but his sportswear has never struck me as noticably better than Dior or Jil. As for his suiting, I am not sophisticated enough to gauge subtleties in quality of high end suits but by all accounts it is not worth the double and triple price premiums over other top tier designer offerings.

I've never been impressed with Dior's polos / most of their quality in general, where as I have been quite impressed with the Thom Browne I've handled, although admittedly never Thom's polos. There you go.

I couldn't say either way about the suiting either, although Jil has handled nicer than Dior I've dealt with as well.

Why do you assume its lightyears more impressive in quality? Its lightyears ahead in price for sure, but his sportswear has never struck me as noticably better than Dior or Jil. As for his suiting, I am not sophisticated enough to gauge subtleties in quality of high end suits but by all accounts it is not worth the double and triple price premiums over other top tier designer offerings.

For me, Dior's quality isn't even comparable to Jil, let alone Thom Browne. But I do agree it's probably not worth the double or triple it costs to get a suit over another company.

Servo- I bet the polo is going to be in the 400-600 range. :(

How much is that polo thought? Probably like $400 - $500, yeah? 50% (doesn't a lot of his stuff make it to at least this come sale times?) that's the same as a Dior polo full price and it's probably lightyears more impressive as far as quality goes. Not a terrible deal, but still too pricey for me.

Considering that, at Barney's, white button down shirts are $250, striped dress shirts are $500, and camelhair blazers are almost $7k, I would add $500-700 to that guess on the polo cost (it's probably some kind of cashmere weave, no cutting corners!).

Compared to Dior or Jil, it's significantly better made (especially the suits and shirts), but there is no way I'm biting at those kind of numbers. Hopefully more of it hits yoox and etc in the future.

Considering that, at Barney's, white button down shirts are $250, striped dress shirts are $500, and camelhair blazers are almost $7k, I would add $500-700 to that guess on the polo cost (it's probably some kind of cashmere weave, no cutting corners!).

Yea, you're probably right. Servo and I had wishful thinking...that shit will probably end up at like $1.5k. :(

I need to sell more white in the streets for this stuff and even then...I would kinda think twice.

Compared to Dior or Jil, it's significantly better made (especially the suits and shirts), but there is no way I'm biting at those kind of numbers. Hopefully more of it hits yoox and etc in the future.

Macuser hates my dreams.

Actually a really good video of Thom showing his SS08 line on refinery29.com. He seems like a pretty mellow and down to earth guy compared to some of the clothing he comes out with.

He's wearing a club collar too. It luk gud!

Good video. I have to say, I always found Thom Browne interesting and I come to like the work more and more as I learn more about it / him.

Also, he looks fucking great.

Servo- There's a good article of him with Terry Richardson in the GQStyle issue that's on newsstands right now.

I have to say too, he's in fantastic shape for his age. (he's nude in a picture on the aforementioned article)

No'omo

But I definitely agree with you about liking him/his work more after learning more about him/his work.

• 3 weeks later...

Comparatively speaking, I don't think Thom will last as long as someone like Margiela unless he keeps changing his niche. But Thom is more of a novelty clothing line so it's hard to compare the two. I do enjoy both of them, however for completely different reasons.

I totally agree with you about the price increase & I too hope until that day. Thom Browne is one of those designers. He charges suits for 13,000$ now and they increased signifigantly. It really pisses me off. Its not like he is some great designer that has a legacy. He just became popular. Martin Margiela has some of the best basic pieces I love his cardigans.

Too bad TB suits are not 13 Grand, that was only one coat in the whole line, and while his prices are high, theyre not that high and they always have been anyways.

And about him having no legacy, I dont see anything wrong with that, people are more than happy to pay for the extremly high prices of Slimane (were?), Plokhov, Poell and the like, which dont really have a "legacy", but they are the ones who innovate or provide a different aesthetic and thus make their pieces worth the price to some.

Edit: Yea, I don't really think Thom will last that much. The Black Fleece collection in my opinion was extremly similar to his previous collections and his mainline collections which have been getting more and more "out there" with every season, I think soon people will get to the point where it won't be worth it anymore, especially since they Thom look isnt something that can be worn daily by most.

Oh I see. Well, I've looked into the TB suits and most of them are not that expensive, but there are exceptions that's for sure. But most of them are around the $6000 mark or so.

If someone actually buys that rose suit, I'm givin mad props...and if they were to wear it out, I'll give even more! Shits' tough.

i really don't understand the appeal of thom browne at all.

on a side note, i just noticed a 17 year old portuguese guy is modelling on the runway show for thom browne in ss08.

he also modelled for dior and all the european big names last year in paris(dior homme, ann d and about 20 more names ))

image nº32 of the said collection is where i saw the dude

Servo- There's a good article of him with Terry Richardson in the GQStyle issue that's on newsstands right now.

I have to say too, he's in fantastic shape for his age. (he's nude in a picture on the aforementioned article)

No'omo

But I definitely agree with you about liking him/his work more after learning more about him/his work.

I was just looking at that again. After I brought Thom up in the Martin Margiela thread I re-read that article.

I don't know if anyone would know this, but at brooks brothers the shirts are this really nice non-wrinkle material. You never have to iron them & they never wrinkle. I want to know if the Blackfleece oxford shirts wrinkle. Its not Thom Browne, but still he designes it.

From what I understand, the 'no iron' shirts are just a chemical finish applied to cotton, not a special fiber or anything like that.

Black fleece was such a cocktease. I was literally salivating at the thought of the dropped pricepoints.

That said, the collection is decent. I like the dip into swimwear quite a bit.

Suiting is nice, as is expected, and the cardigans look really nice. I'd like to see a picture of some of the cardigans without a blazer cover.