I crave ambient hip hop!!!!!!!

naturaljax

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of 80s act Basehead and Blackalicious I just can't get into non-traditional hip hop. I tried. I checked out Edan, Anti Pop Consortium, MC Paul Barman, Kool Keith. Didn't like it.

Give me Jay-Z, Young Dro, and Lil' Wayne over COLLEGE RAP any day. No offense. I wanted to like it but was surprised to find that I find the gangsta rap better NOT because of the lyrics but the producers in the background twiddling the knobs for these guys.

I think they have more money to find the very best and (with the exception of P Diddy and Kanye) these guys don't mind taking the money and staying out of the spot light. ALTHOUGH, YOU WILL LOVE 'PETESTRUMENTALS' BY PETE ROCK very ambient and acid jazzy without being 'artier-than-thou'. Actually, that last sentence is probably the short version of my response. I mean it. That is one of those albums that any time you put it on SOMEONE says, "Who's this?"

with the exceptiion of Kool Keith, I know exactly what you mean. Nerd rap is normally liked by folks whose music background isnt grounded by black music (I mean they didnt grow up w/ certain music around them).

btw...Where out south are you from? I would have never guessed someone from the Southside is on SF

If your down with Nujabes then you probably know all about Force of Nature/Fat Jon and all the work they did with Nujabes on the Samurai Champloo albums. That would've been my first recommendation. Nujabes is a fucking genius....arguably my fav. artist.

Check out Granhotelbuenosaires by Federico Abuele....

I'm not really sure what ambient hiphop is but this may be up yer alley

Jay Dee - Welcome to Detriot

RJD2 - Dead Ringer, The Horror

Prefuse 73..he's got a bunch of albums...peep em

Theres a Pete Rock/ 9th Wonder that I used to have...it's floating around the net...look for it

I'm not sure if it's yer kinda thing but Mark Farina puts out some dope chillin music.

while im not a big Alias fan, he did a CD with his brother who plays sax or trumpet or something. its called Lillian by Alias and Ehren. it is really badass farily ambient hiphop totally instrumental too.

i enjoyed the mix up, it was just what i was wanting out of beastie boys, i was on the verge of growing tired of most of their signature style songs.

most importantly though check the band SKALPEL they are a polish jazz hip hop band, when i first heard them i didnt even think they were hip hop because they pull it off so seamlessly.

with the exceptiion of Kool Keith, I know exactly what you mean. Nerd rap is normally liked by folks whose music background isnt grounded by black music (I mean they didnt grow up w/ certain music around them).

btw...Where out south are you from? I would have never guessed someone from the Southside is on SF

Hey, Jilla. Check your inbox. I sent you a private message. Southsiiiiiiiiiiiide!!!!!

• 2 months later...

have you heard freddy joachim and choice 37? You can check them out on myspace.. they have lyrics on it but I have no doubt that those two artists have the beats you're looking for. Peace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1150556

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2212785

And here's a song by Choice 37 that they removed from there..

http://media.putfile.com/Choice-37---Marie