I crave ambient hip hop!!!!!!!

naturaljax

Seriously, does anyone know a lot about stuff like this, calm, no lyrics, warm keys, piano, strings, type of hip hop instrumentals?

I've always got Nujabes on constant rotation, not to mention MF Doom's "Metal Fingers Presents: Special Herbs" collections

So, does anyone else know any stuff that would be worth checking out?

Here's a few examples of what I mean if you really don't know what I'm talking about

MF-Doom - Saffron

Nujabes - Aruarian Dance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay well.... MF Doom and Nujabes' shit isn't bad, in fact that shit is amazing, from what you just posted, it sounds like... somewhat similar, but I really like that the stuff I was talking about has a distinct hip hop feel to it, you know?

I heard the new Beastie album was a letdown, not so? I guess I'll check it out. And yeah my friends are b-boys so they're always playing random cuts from that haha, but they never know the artist or anything.

keagan - yeah, I'm familiar with a lot of Blockhead stuff, but I haven't listened to him in such a long time, I will now, thanks! I wish his song 'Dinner With Blockhead' was more than just 45 seconds or whatever. Recently I think his stuff has kind of been going downhill, though, which sucks

I think what you are into is more like downtempo/Chill out. This type of music you usually hear in trendy boutiques, lounges, cafe, hotels, restaurants, ect.

I recommend some older stuffs

all the stuff that you into, you can find it in kid loco, dj cam. ect the lazy hip hop beats, orchestra, turntable scratches, jazzy piano, sampled voices/vocals.

Kid Loco: A grand Love Story

DJ CAM: Substances

Since you liked nujabes. Check out CYNE. They did a few vocals tracks on nujabes album.

Labels beside ninjatunes.

DJ KICKS series from !K7

Anticon. Alias/DJ mayonaise

Also, Diplo: Florida album is mostly instrumental hip hop.

Deltron 3030: Instrumental

Dunno about 'ambient hiphop'... but....

Boards of Canada perhaps... (too mainstream?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWte9J3nm28

Quantic might be more like what you're looking for...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HPAPFn9jKBE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLbFfA6lEIE

Bonobo also...?

I like Proem a lot, it can be a bit more abstract.. fastforward about 2min in to get a feel for it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mmEpy6Vgg3M

Arovane is similar

Jaga Jazzist? not ambient, or necessarily hiphop...but try it? haha

whateveverr

We Are Monster by Isolee and Kosi Comes Around by DJ Koze are both amazing. The Koze album in particular I love.

Ninja Tune is a cool label, as is Komakt, the label Koze is on.

Jaga Jazzist was mentioned. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but their best album, I think, What We Must, is excellent.

Good luck finding more of what you like.

No doubt in my mind you should look into a group called "Handsome Boy Modelling School" Enjoooooooooooy :)

With the exception of 80s act Basehead and Blackalicious I just can't get into non-traditional hip hop. I tried. I checked out Edan, Anti Pop Consortium, MC Paul Barman, Kool Keith. Didn't like it.

Give me Jay-Z, Young Dro, and Lil' Wayne over COLLEGE RAP any day. No offense. I wanted to like it but was surprised to find that I find the gangsta rap better NOT because of the lyrics but the producers in the background twiddling the knobs for these guys.

I think they have more money to find the very best and (with the exception of P Diddy and Kanye) these guys don't mind taking the money and staying out of the spot light. ALTHOUGH, YOU WILL LOVE 'PETESTRUMENTALS' BY PETE ROCK very ambient and acid jazzy without being 'artier-than-thou'. Actually, that last sentence is probably the short version of my response. I mean it. That is one of those albums that any time you put it on SOMEONE says, "Who's this?"

With the exception of 80s act Basehead and Blackalicious I just can't get into non-traditional hip hop. I tried. I checked out Edan, Anti Pop Consortium, MC Paul Barman, Kool Keith. Didn't like it.

Give me Jay-Z, Young Dro, and Lil' Wayne over COLLEGE RAP any day. No offense. I wanted to like it but was surprised to find that I find the gangsta rap better NOT because of the lyrics but the producers in the background twiddling the knobs for these guys.

I think they have more money to find the very best and (with the exception of P Diddy and Kanye) these guys don't mind taking the money and staying out of the spot light. ALTHOUGH, YOU WILL LOVE 'PETESTRUMENTALS' BY PETE ROCK very ambient and acid jazzy without being 'artier-than-thou'. Actually, that last sentence is probably the short version of my response. I mean it. That is one of those albums that any time you put it on SOMEONE says, "Who's this?"

GO AWAY.

yesterdays new quintet

kid koala

sound directions

chrome children instrumental albums

dudley perkins, aloe blacc, dabrye instrumentals

this is good. listen to this.

also,

dj abilities

viktor vaughn (mf doom alias)

peanut butter wolf

madlib (brainchild behind yesterday's new quintet)

jay dilla