Japanese Rock

omarion111

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far so good...

ok

How the fuck do you listen to a manga/anime music group that never made any music?

Download the soundtrack, i guess there songs are all covers but there sweet. Who is in Beck anyways, it sounds like the guy from husking bee singing, and that guy from ykz rapping.

Download the soundtrack, i guess there songs are all covers but there sweet. Who is in Beck anyways, it sounds like the guy from husking bee singing, and that guy from ykz rapping.

the songs from beck are mostly from the beat crusaders like the theme song and the one when koyuki sang with dying breed. i don't know anything else about japanese rock though.

i saw the pillows live they were quite good.....except lots of REALLY fat kids screaming in japanese (who were not japanese) trying to crush you against the stage... that was a little off putting. asian kungfu generation, as mentioned before is pretty much along the same lines for more modern stuff. the noodles are alright too

not japanese rock but hardcore or punk...

G.I.S.M.

Death Side

the Comes

WarHead

Gauze

Systematic Death

Bastard

Confuse

Kuro

.....all amazing.

When the hardcore scene in the rest of the world went stale in the mid to late 80's Japan picked up the paces and put out some of the best records not only of the time but ever. Most of these releases went ignored because of limited quantites pressed and poor distribution outside of Japan. From what I understand Japan at that time didn't have any (or maybe just very few) vinyl pressing plants making it very expensive and hard to produce a record.

Everything Partytaco said, but you'll probably hate it all. Add Paintbox to that list, too.

Japanese stuff I dig:

Envy (hardcore punk turned post-hardcore turned post-rock..."All the Footprints..." and "A Dead Sinking Story" are crucial modern Japanese hardcore records...to this day the single most musically stunning show I've ever attended)

Toe (mostly instrumental math-rock)

Bloodthirsty Butchers (melodic Japanese punk; "Banging the Drum" is fantastic)

Luminous Orange (female-fronted shoegaze/dreampopish stuff; very good)

Endzweck (fast, fast raging Japanese hardcore with a sort of poppy feel, if that makes any sense)

LITE (sort of At the Drive-Inish...very mathy and explosive; I have the album "Filmlets")

Nice View (try to get "Thirteen Views"; more modern Japanese punk/hardcore with a sort of rough edge)

One-Thousand Travels of Jawaharlal (dynamic, fast Japanese hardcore)

Popcatcher (melodic, laid-back pop-punk/rock)

Spiral Chord ("Nonai Friction" is great; alternately gritty and melodic Japanese punk)

Nine Days Wonder (criminally underrated very melodic mid-90s style post-hardcore; "The Scenery is in Disguise There" is a good album)

Hope that helps. If you need any help finding any of those, shoot me a PM and I'll upload some next time I'm on a decent connection.

I'm going to have to go against everyone in this thread who mentioned Boris or Mono. Honeslty, that stuff is awful. It's bad enough that every other American band is jocking that style, but now so many Japanese bands are doing that instead of being in awesome raging hardcore or thrash bands the way they should be. Put down the bong and chuck that Orange or Sunn amp for a shitty Gibson and some GISM records.

EDIT: I forgot to include them on my list above, but Forward is the best Japanese hardcore band today (with a member of Deathside, how couldn't they be?). They're not as intense as a lot of their influences, so they're a good band to look into if you're currently into more mainstream Japanese bands but want to get into Japcore. "Fucked Up!" isn't hard to get ahold of.