Czech Republic...

Astérix

I was there for a month once...here's what I learned:

-I thought I should attempt to learn some of the language...niceties, etc....no one uses them there and no one spoke to me the whole time

-absinthe is dangerous

-british guys on stag-party trips are trashy, yet amusing

-the train station in prague is a scary place to sleep...the train itself is even scarrier

-don't stay at hostels that are less than $5/night and are carpeted with astro-turf

-I always got a bottle of ketchup when I ordered pizza :confused:

-there's a cafe in prague that has donut fights...highly recommended

-cabies try to rip you off...take the subway

-you can see live fisting on stage at sex clubs

-if you use a public washroom and don't pay old ladies will beat you with brooms

-its one of the most unique and beautiful places I've ever been

I was in Prague earlier this summer .. got a lot of good photos from a boat ride I took through the river that the Charles Bridge runs across. Would advise that if you can fit it in.

Also, I went to a couple art galleries .. enjoyed the work of Alphonse Mucha. Who was a Czech artist, his main concentration was in the art nouveau style. He did a lot of commercial advertisements too back in the early 1900's .. reminds me of modern day graphic design stuff. Check out his stuff over there.

Besides that .. for shopping Paris street has a store or two you might like. There is a Dior on that street, but another treat is across the street from that store .. there's a store which carries Visvim, Filippa K, and a couple other respectable lines. I didn't catch the name, but they have the lines they carry printed on their glass door.

to do:

-def. go to the mucha museum

-walk the charles bridge (several times) at night as well as during the day

-go to the castle especially at night when it is quiet and deserted. very relaxing peacefull way to blow off steam for a night off of partying

-go to the powder tower

-take in a classical music show at any one of many buildings in old town. prague is full of music and music lovers and they are extremely eager to share their work for reasonable prices.

-go to the opera house, to look, if not to an actual show

-check out the US embassy or at least walk the hill it is situated on. very nice walk

-try and break into the nyu campus building...

-go to the 8 story club just at the old town side of the charles bridge

-go to club roxy. an old converted metro stop

-drink much pilsner...and the real budweiser

............so much to do, but watch out for the drunken british 'blokes' dressed as nuns!

• 1 month later...

FYI for all you Visvim heads...

I just got back from a mini-trip to Prague w/ the gf and came across a store on Parizska St. in the Stare Mesto area called 5 P.T.A. or something (no real sign or anything, just a plaque next to the window). They have the largest selection of Visvim sneakers I have come across thus far. Also a good selection of Yohji, Comme, Freitag, Neighborhood jeans, etc. Strangely enough they also have a wall of Paul Frank stuff :confused:. For anyone who's going out there any time and have some cash to burn, I highly recommend checking it out.

I think the prices were actually decent. I haven't been to FIL in Japan, so I wouldn't know the domestic prices of the sneakers. They had a couple of ballistic backpacks for around 320USD if I remember correctly. There's even a section of Visvim shoes at 30% off. Not too bad.