yes or no? / this or that?

chris

i came across these Bally Daniell oxfords today. the sales man said they were "goat skin" as the material used. i'm a fan of the wing tip style and the said material is amazingly soft which draws me to these oxfords the most. something that i could see myself wearing relatively all day which as if i were to wear other oxfords i would be uncomfortable by the material most dress shoe makers use.

seeing as these are my first pair of proper dress shoes (i used to own a pair of square toed kenneth cole's) i would like to know am i on the right track for quality dress shoes? and does anyone else know any other brands that carry soft oxfords/ankle boots much like these "goat skin" oxfords for around $500 or less (the Daniell's run from $300-$450 in the store). here is a picture of the oxfords:

http://www.endless.com/BALLY-Mens-Daniell-Oxford/dp/B000MVIFQI

Goat leather has quite a coarse grain, which can be buffed smooth, but they've chosen to leave it (as an attempted aesthetic feature, but more likely to retain strength), wether than works for your idea of dressy or not is up to you. Personally, it's a no if you're primarily wearing them with suits.

Try find something in kangaroo leather if you're after soft/light dress shoes.

b.son U-neck tee?

aed31163_black.jpg

i like it but

brotha says the U-neck looks gay, like a crewneck that was pulled/stretched out at the neck and that it'll give a ugly red/tan spot on the chest

what do you guys think

i say yes to the u-neck shirt. just please, please, please do not wear it like the model in the picture; that necklace is horrible.

Good point, I don't mind it on that guy with a black shirt and long black necklace though. I have a necklace I've had since I've been out of nappies that just falls under the neckline on a normal crew or v neck or button-up and only shows a glimpse once in a while, but it's a really bad length to wear with the deep cut shirts.

Worrying about tan lines is taking things a bit too far for me, unless you're female, then I fully support getting rid of tanlines any chance you get.

i came across these Bally Daniell oxfords today. the sales man said they were "goat skin" as the material used. i'm a fan of the wing tip style and the said material is amazingly soft which draws me to these oxfords the most. something that i could see myself wearing relatively all day which as if i were to wear other oxfords i would be uncomfortable by the material most dress shoe makers use.

seeing as these are my first pair of proper dress shoes (i used to own a pair of square toed kenneth cole's) i would like to know am i on the right track for quality dress shoes? and does anyone else know any other brands that carry soft oxfords/ankle boots much like these "goat skin" oxfords for around $500 or less (the Daniell's run from $300-$450 in the store). here is a picture of the oxfords:

http://www.endless.com/BALLY-Mens-Daniell-Oxford/dp/B000MVIFQI

Too much texture for a dress shoe, IMO. Stick to calfskin. After a short break-in, calfskin is very comfortable, and takes to a shine very well.

Goat leather has quite a coarse grain, which can be buffed smooth, but they've chosen to leave it (as an attempted aesthetic feature, but more likely to retain strength), wether than works for your idea of dressy or not is up to you. Personally, it's a no if you're primarily wearing them with suits.

Try find something in kangaroo leather if you're after soft/light dress shoes.

Too much texture for a dress shoe, IMO. Stick to calfskin. After a short break-in, calfskin is very comfortable, and takes to a shine very well.

any suggestions on what brands i should be looking into?

both of your commentary were very much appreciated. thanks!

i didn't know it wasa still a small family owned biz. in certain countries his units are everywhere. units dont seem to move how they once did in the 90s. how is the company doing? who is in charge of his distribution? thanx

i read a text about them in german a while ago. most of their retailers are in germany or austria. theres only a few more in switzerland, italy, the netherlands and one in the US, in NY. They themselves have only 15 stores, all in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I get the impression that they seem to focus on established - german speaking - markets and dont have much amibitions to expand.

The company is family owned in the fourth generation and led by 3 brothers.

This Text is from their Homepage which does have a pretty decent english version.

THE FUTURE OF TRADITION

The Ludwig Reiter Schuhmanufaktur is a family-run enterprise in the fourth generation, which was established 1885 in Vienna. Ludwig Reiters particular tradition is the manufacturing of Goodyear welted shoes in classic Viennese style. In addition to that, Ludwig Reiter has developed a wide range of high grade casual shoes, fine leather goods and other accessories.

The factory is still located at the outskirts of Vienna. The products are not only distributed through own stores in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, but also through exclusive boutiques internationally as well as co-operations with several fashion brands.

For Ludwig Reiter tradition is not a purpose in itself. In connection with the own stores the old manufactory provides a particular personal vicinity and space for individual desires. The experience of 120 years of fine craftsmanship evolves in modern structures for contemporary requirements. With Ludwig Reiter individualism opens the future of tradition.

They also do nice Leatherware like Belts and Briefcases. Their Catalogue provides further info on the Company itself.

All of the German texts have a tone to them that suggests theyre not much interested in expanding markets and company growth. it certainly looks like it.

ludwigreiterxv3.jpg

reiter2kj8.jpg

any suggestions on what brands i should be looking into?

I'm a fan of A Testoni, which you can sometimes grab at the $200 mark. Check SierraTradingPost.com. Along with this, Ferragamo (not the low-end Studio line, it's crap) and Crockett & Jones (check plal.com). There are several other makers which have very sleek last shapes (Gravati, Sutor Mantellassi, etc) which are definitely not out of place in a sufu approved style. Here is a pair of Testoni's I recently grabbed off the aforementioned site, after a quick shine:

photo3gi6.jpg

Classic & sleek. Good stuff.

edit: The Bally shoes certainly aren't junk-worthy, I think they would look good with drainpipe trousers in a casual outfit.

<3 Servo2000 ;)

I have to get new frames, I had my old ones for almost four years, the screws are too lose and personally I don't like the style. Does anyone know if a frames/glasses thread exists already, I was considering making one..

These are G. Armani 353 style, plastic. I wanted something black and fully rimmed, opinions? They're around $140-150.

GA353.jpg

yes or no for bottega veneta woven chukka boots on sale?

I know they make reat leather items, but how are they for shoes? I like the weave pattern, but don't know if it would work for the long term on a shoe. I can't find a picture for now, but you can see it on their website.

Woven leather like the shoes you're talking about is one of their specialties; If you like the look and the price feels right I don't think you'll be turned of by the quality.

Woven leather like the shoes you're talking about is one of their specialties; If you like the look and the price feels right I don't think you'll be turned of by the quality.

i tried it on. it is very comfortable, but does not work well with denim.

in my opinion good for slacks and formal wear. like fuuma said the quality is tops.