strange fruit???

mizanation

the power of billie holiday's strange fruit has not waned for me over the years even after repeated listens

germans?

i liked nina simones version better... haunting is the only word to properly describe it.

speaking of... i should start a nina simone thread... one of my favorite singers.

i guess no one taught the germans what "strange fruit" means in the united states...

those kooky krauts have a lot of odd names for fashion businesses. for instance-

grand imperial wizard - 'treat yourself like royalty with only the finest garments'

uncle tom and aunt jemima - 'down to earth business clothing for him and her'

warsaw ghetto - 'streetwear for the stylish urbanite'

How do you know that isn't what they intended to reference? The song is about condemning/realizing racism.........

It is an obscure enough phrase that it is safe to assume they knew its connotations. Good name for a clothing store? Maybe not. Offensive? No.

But the strange fruit isn't a reference to condemning racism, it's an analogy for bodies hanging from trees as a result of lynchings. Pretty tasteless to analogize clothing to lynched bodies.

But I'd bet "strange fruit" is a phrase with multiple meanings. Probably only in the US is the Billie Holliday allusion the first that comes to mind.

i liked nina simones version better... haunting is the only word to properly describe it.

speaking of... i should start a nina simone thread... one of my favorite singers.

i didn't know nina did "strange fruit"

makes sense though

i love her version of "black is the color of my true love's hair" but i like patty water's better

england---i'm starting a steel-toe boot company called schindlers list, care to invest?

How do you know that isn't what they intended to reference? The song is about condemning/realizing racism.........

It is an obscure enough phrase that it is safe to assume they knew its connotations. Good name for a clothing store? Maybe not. Offensive? No.

Wait -- who was getting offended (before airportlobby)? the term strange fruit may have just been a reference, for the german store owners, to the clothing on hangers-like fruit hanging from a tree. Either way, the intent was to point out that strange fruit has a very different and serious meaning to ppl who know the song.

i miss the old england

I miss the old america x the hundreds.

Wait -- who was getting offended (before airportlobby)? the term strange fruit may have just been a reference, for the german store owners, to the clothing on hangers-like fruit hanging from a tree. Either way, the intent was to point out that strange fruit has a very different and serious meaning to ppl who know the song.

No one got offended. Where did I say that?

I didn't say it was a good/appropriate name, but you can't always assume the worse with these things. For all you know, the man/woman who started the shop could be black and that song/phrase was very moving for him/her for whatever reason.

Before airportlobby no one was bitching about the store name... and pointing out that their store name is kinda funny is just stating fact (not whining or complaining). It's funny how PC and anti-PC people are so similar when it comes to annoyingly trying to 'check' people.

Before airportlobby no one was bitching about the store name... and pointing out that their store name is kinda funny is just stating fact (not whining or complaining). It's funny how PC and anti-PC people are so similar when it comes to annoyingly trying to 'check' people.

I have no idea what you're getting at. The 'whining' phrase was entirely in jest. I think you're the only one who didn't pick that up.

Mizanation said:

i guess no one taught the germans what "strange fruit" means in the united states...

Pretty safe to see he is inferring that they have no idea what the phrase means and that they are generally uninformed regarding its connotations. Why make this assumption?

Then there's this gem:

those kooky krauts have a lot of odd names for fashion businesses. for instance-

grand imperial wizard - 'treat yourself like royalty with only the finest garments'

uncle tom and aunt jemima - 'down to earth business clothing for him and her'

warsaw ghetto - 'streetwear for the stylish urbanite'

He infers, whilst jokingly, that the store might be perpetuating racist connotations.

i'm starting a steel-toe boot company called schindlers list, care to invest?

Same as above.

I know, from previous experience on this site, what the thread would have ultimately evolved into, so there's no need to try and 'call me out' for 'calling people out'.........

The very first post in this thread was about how it's a bullshit name for a store. And no one was trying to "check" anyone - I don't see any posts directed at the owners of the store - just discussing how it's a bullshit name.

I don't think that it is "politically correct" to discuss the ramifications of the choice of a name. No one is trying to censor anyone. Using a phrase like "politically correct" serves the same purpose as much of the distressingly "politically correct" instincts that you seem to be critical of - i.e., to flatten and simplify discourse.

Some asswipe is trying to tell me I am "annoyingly check[ing]" people. I felt it necessary to address them. As you can see, before she posted, there was no aggression.

asswipe? original! point stands--what the fuck was yer point in yer initial two replies if it wasn't along the lines of defending the store while calling ppl pointing out the irony of the name overly-sensitive? (" I see where you are coming from, but making a post to complain about it is unecessary.") IF that was yer intent -- then my point stands -- yer as unreasonable and reactionary as those ignorant overly-sensitive "bleeding heart liberals" you thought you were checking.

:]