Headphones? Headphones? Headphones?

Guest freedomfighter

my sennheiser mx300 finally broke two weeks ago and i had to buy shitty sony earbuds...

img0283gy7.jpg

i received my soundmagic pl30 today, they were sent on the 25th of october.

swooc described them better than i could, they sound way better than everything i got to use as headphones under $100, for sure. but unlike what they say on various forums, i'm not sure they can compare to mid-end Shure...

img0279px0.jpg

img0280sr0.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had some UE Super.fi's but the cable frayed. i replaced it w/a Westone cable but you gotta file down the pins so it fits. it's not a secure fit and when i grabbed my mp3 player the left monitor was off the cable. i can't tell if it popped off when i was out but i can't find it at home.

i ordered the Altec Lansing inMotion iM616. it's made by Etymotic and the reviews all say it sounds better than the er6. the best part is they were $43 shipped (it's a discontinued model). i can't wait til they arrive.

im616f02600vs1.jpg

finally blew my sennheiser HD497s and picked up a pair of HD555s. the difference is astounding, but very bass-heavy in comparison. metal isn't quite as fun to listen to anymore :-(

you would also enjoy the sr325i from grado. They are amazing for metal, speed metal, anything that needs super fast and precise drivers with just enough bass.

... Kind of a late suggestion, youll prob see it eventually. haha.

you would also enjoy the sr325i from grado. They are amazing for metal, speed metal, anything that needs super fast and precise drivers with just enough bass.

... Kind of a late suggestion, youll prob see it eventually. haha.

me and legacy need to bring this thread out of peasant status stat.

as for the 880, you're going to want a more powerful amp to actually hear how nice they sound.

My shure e2c's i've used for 2 years are falling apart now. Need new ones and i'm looking for noise isolating earphones, I donn't want to pay more than US$100.

What do you recommend?

thanks

etymotic er6. if you don't mind paying a little over $100 (tax/shipping), check out westone um1.

should I sell my stax sr404/srm313? they are almost obsolete since I use K1000 for serious home listening.

and about how much are they going for on used market now? I saw a lightly used 313/404 go for about 900 USD a few years ago.

and whatever happened to sony PFR-V1? They ever make it to the US? I was never able to locate a dealer with them in SF or NYC in order to audition.

me and legacy need to bring this thread out of peasant status stat.

as for the 880, you're going to want a more powerful amp to actually hear how nice they sound.

Yeah, I've realized that now. I might get a LD IV SE or maybe a Woo Audio 3+... hrmm...

What do you think would sound better? My personal preference in sound is usually on the warm lushy side. What tubes should I get?

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa3+.html

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=91&posts=1&start=1

They sound a little better than my old er6i but those were pretty beat up. I never heard er4 but I think mine are not on the same level. I think they are also a little overpriced but there was nothing better around right now.

I see. My ER4P are still going strong so I'm sticking with that.

Who here remembers those limited edition Japan-only release ATs that were like a silvery, mirrored finish? I can't remember the model number. :[

Also, who here has had experience with Shure e500/e530s? Besides still, who crushed them under his boots.. The wires in mine are crapping out or something, I have to wiggle them to get full signal on either channel. I know Shure has great customer service but I'm wondering what caused it to begin with. I'm thinking it might be the way I wrap my headphones up..

I own:

1) Beyerdynamic DT250: Possibly the most awesome closed earphones ever. The sound reproduction is very neutral.

2) Allesandro MS-2: These are a Grado derivative. So much the same properties in both build quality and sound. You'll want to relisten to your whole music collection after you hear what these things are like. They're uncomfortable as all hell, but well worth the pain.

Both of the above have excellent build quality and perform well without amplification. The Beyer's are can be completely pulled apart for washing/maintenance.

My experience with Audio Technica ATH-A900's was disappointing. They look really nice and comfy in all the photos you see, but when you put them on they feel plasticy and flimsy. Don't really inspire confidence at all. The sound is similar if not inferior to the DT250.

I've listened to some Beyer 770's as well. Thoroughly impressed again.