Ato Matsumoto sneaker

i dont wanna jack this thread but I saw a qoute from kanye saying the only person in the music industry that he felt was legitimate enough to challenge him was justin timberlake....and that he believed that they were just like prince and michael jackson in the 80's.......this comment made me throw up in my mouth....and hate kanya west....the only reason i bring this up is that you said he supposedly went to school on a classical music scholarship......sounds like bs to me ...he isnt worthy of kissing princes feet....

Did you read the rest of that article to understandt he context of the quote? He's saying he competes with Justin because of Justin's ability to cross over genres and genre stations, which is something he wants to do. Justin is played on pop stations, hip hop stations..etc. I think you are taking his comparison way too "literally". It's just a parallel in healthy rivalry/competition, not "I'm as good as prince and justin is the new michael"

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys don't understand that Kanye is interesting primarily for these reasons that you hate him. He is one of the few artists that has a platform and is not scared to voice his opinion. He contradics himself, but yet who of us doesn't. He is growing up in the media spotlight and exposing warts and all. You can't put him in a box like most rappers and he is a complex personality that seems to draw people in or repel them. As an artist, it is better to be a polarizing figure that invokes passionate debate than draw no reaction.

In terms of fashion, that complexity, and his "look" helps him stand out, from the hoard of doo ragged rappers. Who cares that he wears brands that his stylist or he discovers on his trips around the world and switching up his style at the drop of the hat - we should all be so fortunate. He's young, gifted and rich and he is doing it his way. I don't agree with everything that comes out of his mouth, but I could say the same thing abou my mother. It's his time in the spotlight, so let him live.

fashion without socio-cultural context is pointless- everything from wal-mart jeans to balenciaga robot tights are loaded with complex matrices that have both inward and outward meanings. there is nothing ridiculous about the fact that in order to fully appreciate something, one must have a decent amount of knowledge about it.

no one on this board flosses like they're on lagerfeld status. everyone here is pretty humble about their burgeoning appreciation of things beyond streetwear. i, personally,

have been privy to and had an interest in elite designers since high school- and i don't sit here flaunting that like it makes me better than anyone else, because it is only recently that i've been able to appreciate elite design as anything besides unattainable.

if fashion, like rap, was a matter of pedigree, the only people allowed on this forum would be people who had a knowledge of fashion and those who had a desire to learn.

there is nothing overwhelmingly tall, white, skinny as fuck, and japanese or belgian

about information. and, last time i checked, wearing a size medium certainly never defined anyone as 'slightly portly'. besides the point that your attempt at demarcating some signifiers about the industry are so off the mark- besides models, most people in the industry are rather average bodies filled with above average minds. looks like someone else that knows fuck-all about fashion trying to masturbate what little seed left in their brain in order to give themselves a braingasm on an otherwise lonely friday night.

a year is not a very long time in a world where collections are first birthed up to two years before they actually reveal themselves to the world. this is a serious delay we're talking about, and the migrations and social patterns of people on our level does not at all reflect the speed of the high fashion industry.

and, you may have never been to these countries, but i'm sure that many of us here would not appreciate you generalizing that 'we' have done- or have failed to do- anything.

kanye certainly can claim dries van as his, but i can certainly call his bluff, right?

put it like this- common was wearing a raf simons hoody in a recent video. common does not go around holding his raf simons hoody and showing it to everyone over at

Complex. common is a better person because regardless of how that ended up on his back, it speaks for him, rather than him mythologizing it.

plus, kanye mispronounced CdG so poorly recently in a radio clip that i had to cry.

^^ Truth.. Pure truth..

Kanye just cockrides different trends.. Just 2 years ago he knew nothing of the whole japanese culture. He blew up about the whole LV don, thats the only shit he rocks.. Come The Late registration album, his style was somewhat the same but kinda changed. Nowadays you see him doing collabos with teriyaki boys..All over the Bape shit..Taking a classic anime series Akira and try to mimic it in stronger..

Now all of a sudden he's cock jocking on high end designers trying to show off like he's a big shot..As much as i respect kanye for trying to embrace the many cultures in this world we live in, it sickens me to see him trying to include himself in an industry that he clearly knew nothing about until like a year or so ago.. He may be rich as fuck but his attitude towards fashion is poor..

It's like he's trying to say that he's the only dude whos rockin dries van noten..Thats bullshit, I dont like people like that.. There are probably tons of people that rock dries van noten, but we probably dont know about it because they dont need to flaunt it.. Their success and well being does that for them.. But Kanye takes his success to a whole new level.. I think that car crash not only shattered his jaw but also crushed some nerves in his brain

kanye can wear whatever he wants, and he can style himself in those clothes however he pleases. however, his sudden embrace of haute fashion over the course of the past year reeks of insincerity.

it is exactly like a white kid from wisconsin trying to act hood. it just doesnt work.

i gotta disagree with you on this one. people's styles evolve, why can't kanye's? just as he "hopped" on bape, why cant he hop on those high end brands? From what i remember his girlfriend is a designer, so she probably opened his eyes to the high-end fashion. I dont think there's anything insincere about that at all.

and anyway, what good would it serve him to be insincere? its not like hes playing towards his target audience by wearing that type of stuff.

Contrary to popular belief (on here), I think Kanye pulled them off pretty well.

agreed

Anyway, I haven't seen this issue of complex, nor do I give a fuck what Kanye decides to wear. I personally like to find the redeeming quality in him choosing to don brands that the typical kid in the hood isn't seeing on regular basis. What might that be? Helping in the development of a taste that extends beyond homogenious look that probably dominates said kid's neighborhood. Sometimes the snobery of this place is laughable. I'm sure everyones been in selvage and CdG since they were fetuses, I know I was... :rolleyes:

very well said, I couldnt agree more

Soho,

i dont think you're getting the point that cult is trying to point out.. We're not saying its wrong to evolve because im sure many of the sufu users on here can say they've evolved since they've joined here.. Its HOW you show it that really makes a difference..

Kanye's arrogance doesnt make it any better.. Yes he evolved, but why does he need to run a muck about it? There's no need to start all this chit chatter over shit you never even knew about back in the day.. If you know about a brand, dont show off like you're the only person that owns it, just let the clothing speak for itself..

Im sure more people would accept kanye if he wasnt so much of a big headed moron

Edit: I personally don't have a problem with his music, as i enjoy it. BUT, it's his attitude that really annoys me..It's the way he presents himself that make people hate him..

yes he has a pretty big ego, im not denying that. so what though, how many people don't when theyre at that stage in their career? im not excusing it, im just saying, nobodys perfect. i dont understand how it bothers you, its not like youve personally experienced the effects of his ego.

and i think youre blowing it out of proportion, he doesnt flaunt his high end stuff THAT much. he may drop a brand name in a song occasionally, but its not like his music even comes close to revolving around bragging about clothes, especially compared to 90% of rappers who only talk about cars, clothes, and girls.

anyway, live and let live. dont worry about the next man, just do you (not directed at you ichigo, its just a general statement)

im not takin it personally at all as i understand what you're saying.. But seriously though, regardless of the success and money that this dude has, his whole mentality towards fashion is meaningless..The dude has style, but doesnt have that maturity to back it up.. That's all im tryin to say..

You dont act one way, then the next day you're praising high end designers callin lagerfeld "legend" and shit when he probably never even followed it like 2-3 years back.

You dont act one way, then the next day you're praising high end designers callin lagerfeld "legend" and shit when he probably never even followed it like 2-3 years back.

why not? I think that's the point a lot of people are trying to make. 2-3 years ago most people here probably weren't into the things they were into. It's ok for people here to be snobby about fashion and all the new shit, but he can't. Lame. Shit, I wasn't even interested in fashion until about 3 years ago, before that I was a fine arts major. And now I'm working on my own mens line.

I think people are just hating on him because of his music antics and how 'arrogant' he is about that. But I never found that same tone when he talks about fashion. But maybe it's just me. I just find kanye bashing kind of tired.

Ego for a hip-hop artist, is like a course book for a college student. It's par for the course. I think the reason that a lot of you guys are mad about Kanye rocking your favorite brands is that he will some how tarnish the image of these brands some how? Someone made a remark about that's why Cristal doesn't want rappers drinking their champagne. They were idiots for that remark since they are the very same group that helped make the brand hot in the US. Like I said before the guy is polarizing, but why all the hate? Because he brags about brands? Rappers have been bringing about brands from the incpetion of the music.

Ego for a hip-hop artist, is like a course book for a college student. It's par for the course. I think the reason that a lot of you guys are mad about Kanye rocking your favorite brands is that he will some how tarnish the image of these brands some how? Someone made a remark about that's why Cristal doesn't want rappers drinking their champagne. They were idiots for that remark since they are the very same group that helped make the brand hot in the US. Like I said before the guy is polarizing, but why all the hate? Because he brags about brands? Rappers have been bringing about brands from the incpetion of the music.

yeah but after all you can say about the guy....one can take a moment and think about it. that what you say about kanye west is exactly what makes the guy a walking douche bag. just cuz hes a rapper he dosnt have to write 5 albums about saying how he gots this and that. its like every year we get an update on what the guy bought. its like the resent purchase thread in album format but only for one guy.

before he made it big and was doing only mix tapes he was pretty good, i liked him but the fame got to him. the exact same thing happened to 50 cent. these two rappers are both fucking rediculously on a huge ego trip. why didnt dead prez go through this? why didnt immortal technique go through this? why didnt j dilla go through this (r.i.p.)

just look at that walking joke for a person who made the song "this is why im hot" i dont even know the guys name. or look at the south rappers. every single one of them sucks balls and rides off one dude's coat tails (lil jon). and they are all named "lil so and so"

shit like this is why i stopped listening to rap back in 2005-06.

The artists that you named are so called underground and never made it to a Kanye or 50 Cent level and are major global brands, with millions of dollars on the line for themselves and their corporate interests. Different ball game and whole different league entirely. Their job is to maintain their heat in the public eye, and if they need to borrow some credibility and mystique by rocking different designers like Dries, Raf, etc. they'll do it to stay "hot." It's how the game is played.

I'm starting to get the impression that people here are casual hip hop listeners. Like I and many have said, bragging about what you have and in many cases don't really have is something that has been going on for probably as long hip hop has been around. I'm sure tons of people on the board fuck up names of brands they love. I'm also sure many a French people wouold probably think the way many of us non French speakers pronounce CdG. I mean it's a french phrase/name. I bet even people in Japan would screw it up too considering the katakana.

I don't know what Kanye CD's you guys are listening to, but I don't find that most of his content is bragging. Being angry at a rapper for bragging is like being about the sun being hot...

I'm also sure many a French people wouold probably think the way many of us non French speakers pronounce CdG. I mean it's a french phrase/name. I bet even people in Japan would screw it up too considering the katakana.

the pronounciation is:

cum

day

gar (the a is ponoucedlike the a in 'camera')

son (like supersonic.. it's not sonne but son)

(my examples are lame)

the pronounciation is:

cum

day

(my examples are lame)

Thanks, I know how to pronounce it though. I was just referencing a previous post about how Kanye fucked it up on the radio.

Guest jmatsu

kanye west sucks. frankly, his music doesn't entertain me in the least. he wears some labels i'm fond of, yes...but he makes them look bad. certain individuals can and will persist to legitimize his recent fashion-adoptations for the mere sake of argument, but it doesn't really matter. why? because he's not the first rich rapper to act a fool.

the ato matsumoto shoe sucks, even if it kanye fuckin west wore it in fuckin complex mag. if you're white and you were it you're a west loving wigger. if you're black and you wear it, people will think you're late on your child support (and most likely the rest of your ensemble will suffer). if you're a jap and you wear it, you're just as dumb if not dumber.

thread closed. .

the pronounciation is:

cum

day

(my examples are lame)

you're canadian. don't try n explain french pronunciation.

IPERKOOOL

kanye west sucks. frankly, his music doesn't entertain me in the least. he wears some labels i'm fond of, yes...but he makes them look bad. certain individuals can and will persist to legitimize his recent fashion-adoptations for the mere sake of argument, but it doesn't really matter. why? because he's not the first rich rapper to act a fool.

the ato matsumoto shoe sucks, even if it kanye fuckin west wore it in fuckin complex mag. if you're white and you were it you're a west loving wigger. if you're black and you wear it, people will think you're late on your child support (and most likely the rest of your ensemble will suffer). if you're a jap and you wear it, you're just as dumb if not dumber.

thread closed. .

i don`t really understand what all that is about. i only quoted jmatsu because he was the most recent kanye-bashing poster - but it sounds like a lot of you are mad because Kanye West belongs to a different lifestyle than you yet promotes and wears the some labels you guys are into. I don`t even think thread is about Kanye West wearing Ato Matsumoto kicks - this thread is about a BLACK RAPPER wearing high-fashion shit. People rather see him in a Coogi sweater with a pair of timbs on. Not to pull the "black card", I really could care less, but I know if there were anyone else wearing those kicks people on forums from Hypebeast to Superfuture would be going nuts. I guess Kanye does it to himself though. He puts himself out there to be looked @ and critized when it comes to fashion.

i don`t really understand what all that is about. i only quoted jmatsu because he was the most recent kanye-bashing poster - but it sounds like a lot of you are mad because Kanye West belongs to a different lifestyle than you yet promotes and wears the some labels you guys are into. I don`t even think thread is about Kanye West wearing Ato Matsumoto kicks - this thread is about a BLACK RAPPER wearing high-fashion shit. People rather see him in a Coogi sweater with a pair of timbs on. Not to pull the "black card", I really could care less, but I know if there were anyone else wearing those kicks people on forums from Hypebeast to Superfuture would be going nuts. I guess Kanye does it to himself though. He puts himself out there to be looked @ and critized when it comes to fashion.

not to pull the youre stupid card, but all this is about is the fact that there is someone out there who attempts to aggrandize themselves by pointlessly latching on to high fashion without, at the very least, being able to properly pronounce within reason the names of the very labels this person purports to be "totally in love with".

when i'm totally in love with something, i try to learn as much about it as possible, kanye definitely does not seem like the type of person who has any time to do anything but slap on something that looks cool and then brag about it.

as a mudskin from the bronx, this has nothing to do with race, and everything to do

with someone being called out for being unable to back up their swagger. its all see through. its not even about internal conflict or contradiction or anything that is dramatic and interesting like that, it is just a fucking farce.

right, because GOOD clothing or whatever it is called is going to be all about fine tailoring and shit, right?

lol not to pull the youre stupid card. your a funny guy - definitely compassionate about your arguement.

you don`t know the guy personally, nor do i, or anyone else in this thread. your arguement is based on the assumption that this guy knows nothing of high fashion yet it's funny how so many people with a huge knowledge of the fashion scene had to question the whereabouts of his sneakers after that show. I can`t even gather a good rebuttle cause your whole arguement is wack & based on nothing. if i`m remembering this correctly wasn`t Kanye the guy wearing an orange Ralph Lauren Purple Label sweater during an award show if not the first year than the 2nd that he was on the music scene. hasn`t he been calling himself one of the best dressed in the industry for a while now? most of superfuture members aren`t new to fashion. & i`m pretty sure they didn`t start out as fashion gurus either. it`s fair to say that Kanye has grew up when it comes to this fashion shit just like any of you have. Kanye fcuks with rappers like Jay-Z & Beanie Sigel that wear Rocawear shirts & jeans - his style is obviously different.

I`m not even saying this shit to defend Kanye. Alotta of yall are thinking so close minded like your opinion is a fact & i find being a devils advocate kinda fun.

hahahahahahahahaha

what a post. i must say this is a funny discussion. even though it initially had NOTHING to do with Kanye. change the topic.

Im tryna figure out why people are acting brand new about Kanyes arrogance. He has been like that since the first damn bar!!! I dont see what people are so mad at...lmao at every level of evolving, he has always acted the same exact way, arrogant as fucked. Nobody likes it, but thats him...so the fuck what.

onemancult you make alot of sense, especially here.

when i'm totally in love with something, i try to learn as much about it as possible, kanye definitely does not seem like the type of person who has any time to do anything but slap on something that looks cool and then brag about it.

totally agree about the learning thing...but how in the hell do you know what he knows?

and how do you know what he has time for??? basing everything off assumption and no one here really knows.

sufu is a very influential place and its crazy how people change...but tis is life and change is inevitable...funny when he took his lil hietous from complex, I knew EXACTLY what he would be wearing...but when people on sufu capture someone in there transition all hell breaks loose. if you havent known about whatever since day one your wack and yaddah yaddah yaddah...shits so stupid. n e who...Kanye will be Kanye and im sure all of you will sleep tonight...

the shoes are horrid. The Raf Simmons high tops are WAAAYYYYY better.

didnt realize it but $tevO said it...

"sufu make the world go round"

a. youre no one to tell me who i do and don't know.

b. when you've overhead a man say "my shoes is margiela, dog, fuck nikes" with a hard G sound over your shoulder, you lose a lot of respect for that man. matter of fact,

i lost all of it.

c. you don't get to patronize me and tell me you sympathize with my argument,

because you can't fucking spell rebuttal.

d. all i've been saying all along is that kanye is free to grow and evolve, but, combined

with his predilection for boasting, he needs to step up his swagger to match his new attire. he's basically acting the way he's always acted, and that kind of attitude doesn't gel with dries van mcqueen. just doesn't. so if he can't himself mature as his style does, then he's just a fucking punk kid dressing out of daddy's closet, and i don't like

whiny brats that throw tantrums when they don't win awards telling me they're better than the people that support their lifestyle because they no longer wear hood clothes, which is essentially what he has intimated in recent interviews.